RE: [firebird-support] FB Terminated abnormally

  • Alan McDonald
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004
      > Hi
      >
      > The last few days I have gotten this error in my FB log:
      >
      > DBSRV01 (Client) Mon Nov 01 15:53:04 2004
      > C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5\bin\fbserver.exe:
      > terminated abnormally (4294967295)
      >

      > I'm running FB 1.5.0 on WIndows 2000.
      >
      > At this point I am not quite sure, what the users where doing, but
      > I'm looking into it.
      >
      > What I would like, is to know, if anyone could give me some
      > information on what to look for ?
      >
      > As far as I can tell, I can't see anything from this error number
      > alone.
      >
      > Regards
      > Michael

      I've had one of these errors in the last six months on one of my servers.
      I'm not concerned. Monitor it and see of it's happening frequently. I assume
      the guardian brought it back straight away and one or more of your users
      were kicked off but could start their app again immediately?
      Alan
    • Michael Vilhelmsen
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004

        > I've had one of these errors in the last six months on one of my
        servers.
        > I'm not concerned. Monitor it and see of it's happening frequently.
        I assume
        > the guardian brought it back straight away and one or more of your
        users
        > were kicked off but could start their app again immediately?
        > Alan

        Exactly !

        But I would like to know more about this error.
        Anything unexpected makes me uneasy.....

        I have had this error 3 times I can see.
        Once in june and yesterday, and 2 days before that.

        Michael
      • Alan McDonald
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004

          > > I've had one of these errors in the last six months on one of my
          > servers.
          > > I'm not concerned. Monitor it and see of it's happening frequently.
          > I assume
          > > the guardian brought it back straight away and one or more of your
          > users
          > > were kicked off but could start their app again immediately?
          > > Alan
          >
          > Exactly !
          >
          > But I would like to know more about this error.
          > Anything unexpected makes me uneasy.....
          >
          > I have had this error 3 times I can see.
          > Once in june and yesterday, and 2 days before that.
          >
          > Michael

          it could be a UDF exception (most likely since it's always possible to pass
          a parameter into one which it doesn't like)
          It could also be a query (least likely since you are probably running the
          same queries all the time.
          If it's a dev machine you might be able to track it down better, but in
          production, with the same code running allthe time it's harder.
          Alan
        • Helen Borrie
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004
            At 08:23 AM 2/11/2004 +0000, you wrote:

            >Hi
            >
            >The last few days I have gotten this error in my FB log:
            >
            >DBSRV01 (Client) Mon Nov 01 15:53:04 2004
            > C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5\bin\fbserver.exe:
            >terminated abnormally (4294967295)
            >

            >I'm running FB 1.5.0 on WIndows 2000.
            >
            >At this point I am not quite sure, what the users where doing, but
            >I'm looking into it.
            >
            >What I would like, is to know, if anyone could give me some
            >information on what to look for ?
            >
            >As far as I can tell, I can't see anything from this error number
            >alone.

            That number is not an error code, it's 4 Gb + 1 --- 1 byte more the largest
            amount of memory that Windows can report, amongst other things. It's 2
            more than the absolute range of numbers available to a signed 32-bit
            integer. Hmm...what else...? One byte more than the maximum limit size of
            an external file....nice that the server was able to pick up something
            about the OS exception before crashing.

            ./heLen
          • Alan McDonald
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004

              > That number is not an error code, it's 4 Gb + 1 --- 1 byte more
              > the largest
              > amount of memory that Windows can report, amongst other things. It's 2
              > more than the absolute range of numbers available to a signed 32-bit
              > integer. Hmm...what else...? One byte more than the maximum
              > limit size of
              > an external file....nice that the server was able to pick up something
              > about the OS exception before crashing.
              >
              > ./heLen

              I'd love to know, then, how I got this error too when I do not have external
              files and I have always had more than ample free disk space.
              Alan
            • Helen Borrie
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004
                At 05:36 AM 3/11/2004 +1100, you wrote:

                > > That number is not an error code, it's 4 Gb + 1 --- 1 byte more
                > > the largest
                > > amount of memory that Windows can report, amongst other things. It's 2
                > > more than the absolute range of numbers available to a signed 32-bit
                > > integer. Hmm...what else...? One byte more than the maximum
                > > limit size of
                > > an external file....nice that the server was able to pick up something
                > > about the OS exception before crashing.
                > >
                > > ./heLen
                > >

                >I'd love to know, then, how I got this error too when I do not have external
                >files and I have always had more than ample free disk space.

                Your guess...what else on your version of Windows overflows at 4 Gb that
                the engine gets a message about but can't detect itself? Those were just
                some ideas (as requested). A log file? SortMemUpperLimit set too high?
                (Questions, not answers).

                ./hb