FB 1.5 backup "interesting" error

  • fowlertrainer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2004
      Hi !

      I have a gdb with 277 MB size.
      I use windows clients, and development client, and Debian Sarge server
      with my own compiled FB (not deb installed version !).

      When I want to backup it:
      gbak -B -V -Z -T -user xxx -pas xxx C:\dev\BHA\database\mpanni2.gdb
      C:\dev\BHA\database\mpanni2.gbk

      a bug appear (I try with non transportable, and other swithces, but is
      nothing happened).

      gbak: writing data for table TEL_CALL
      gbak: ERROR: message length error (encountered 240, expected 232)
      gbak: ERROR: gds_$receive failed
      gbak: Exiting before completion due to errors

      But this bug is appear only in Windows. In Linux the backup is
      "terminated" without error message.

      The Windows gbak/server version string:
      gbak: gbak version Firebird-W32-V1.0
      gbak: Version(s) for database "C:\dev\BHA\database\mpanni2.gdb"
      Firebird/x86/Windows NT (access method), version "WI-T1.5.0.3744
      Firebird 1.5 Release Candidate 4"
      on disk structure version 10.0

      The Linux gbak/server version string:
      gbak: gbak version LI-V1.5.0.4290 Firebird 1.5
      gbak: Version(s) for database "/mpanni/bha/database/mpanni.gdb"
      Firebird/linux Intel (access method), version "LI-V1.5.0.4290
      Firebird 1.5"
      Firebird/linux Intel (remote server), version "LI-V1.5.0.4290
      Firebird 1.5/tcp (bha)/P10"
      Firebird/linux Intel (remote interface), version "LI-V1.5.0.4290
      Firebird 1.5/tcp (bha)/P10"
      on disk structure version 10.0

      I need to backup, because I made many changes in DB, and I want to
      organize some table (because I delete many records from them).

      What I do wrong or what I can to do with it ?
      Please help me !

      Thanx:
      FT
    • Steffen Heil
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
        Hi

        > I have a gdb with 277 MB size.
        > I use windows clients, and development client, and Debian Sarge server
        with my own compiled FB (not deb installed version !).

        Okay, you are using linux as server...

        > gbak -B -V -Z -T -user xxx -pas xxx C:\dev\BHA\database\mpanni2.gdb
        C:\dev\BHA\database\mpanni2.gbk

        How can you backup a linux firebird server with windows local paths?

        Further, try not to use .gdb. Use .fdb instead.

        > The Windows gbak/server version string:
        > gbak: gbak version Firebird-W32-V1.0
        > ... version "WI-T1.5.0.3744 Firebird 1.5 Release Candidate 4"

        Those do not match.

        First, update Firebird to Final/Relase. Don't use Release Candidates.
        Second, update you gbak (included in release version). Recent is: gbak
        version WI-V1.5.0.4306 Firebird 1.5

        Always try using the same versions of db server and gbak.

        > The Linux gbak/server version string:
        > gbak: gbak version LI-V1.5.0.4290 Firebird 1.5
        > ... version "LI-V1.5.0.4290 Firebird 1.5"

        Those match.

        > I need to backup, because I made many changes in DB, and I want to
        organize some table (because I delete many records from them).

        You should do backups on a regular schedule, you know...

        Regards,
        Steffen
      • Alexey Kovjazin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
          Hello!

          > a bug appear (I try with non transportable, and other swithces, but is
          > nothing happened).
          >
          > gbak: writing data for table TEL_CALL
          > gbak: ERROR: message length error (encountered 240, expected 232)
          > gbak: ERROR: gds_$receive failed
          > gbak: Exiting before completion due to errors

          Your database is corrupted - some record has lenght different from declared
          in RDB$FORMATS.
          Usually fixing such error requires some special repairing actions to delete
          it on physical level (i.e., gfix or gbak will not help).

          Feel free to contact me about terms and conditions of repairing via
          ak@...

          Sincerely yours,
          Alexey Kovyazin
          www.ib-aid.com
          www.ibsurgeon.com
        • fowlertrainer
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
            --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Steffen Heil" <lists@s...>
            wrote:
            > Hi
            >
            > > I have a gdb with 277 MB size.
            > > I use windows clients, and development client, and Debian Sarge server
            > with my own compiled FB (not deb installed version !).
            >
            > Okay, you are using linux as server...

            Yes, I use linux as server, but I use local windows server in my dev.
            client - to not load the central linux server/ and for code development.

            > > gbak -B -V -Z -T -user xxx -pas xxx C:\dev\BHA\database\mpanni2.gdb
            > C:\dev\BHA\database\mpanni2.gbk
            >
            > How can you backup a linux firebird server with windows local paths?

            This example is my Windows gbak example.

            > Further, try not to use .gdb. Use .fdb instead.

            Ok.

            > > The Windows gbak/server version string:
            > > gbak: gbak version Firebird-W32-V1.0
            > > ... version "WI-T1.5.0.3744 Firebird 1.5 Release Candidate 4"
            >
            > Those do not match.

            Ok, that is not match, but some of these servers must be handle the
            database backup ! Database is handled by both of servers, and no
            validation error in both trying.

            > First, update Firebird to Final/Relase. Don't use Release Candidates.
            > Second, update you gbak (included in release version). Recent is: gbak
            > version WI-V1.5.0.4306 Firebird 1.5
            >
            > Always try using the same versions of db server and gbak.
            >
            > > The Linux gbak/server version string:
            > > gbak: gbak version LI-V1.5.0.4290 Firebird 1.5
            > > ... version "LI-V1.5.0.4290 Firebird 1.5"
            >
            > Those match.

            So - I download W32 server (the newest):
            http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/firebird/Firebird-1.5.0.4306-Win32.exe

            but Linux superserver is have only this version:

            http://belnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/firebird/FirebirdSS-1.5.0.4290-0.i686.tar.gz
            It is FirebirdSS-1.5.0.4290-0. I cannot found newer version of this
            server in IBPhoenix.

            Why ?

            > > I need to backup, because I made many changes in DB, and I want to
            > organize some table (because I delete many records from them).
            >
            > You should do backups on a regular schedule, you know...

            Ok, but I want to do it NOW.

            > Regards,
            > Steffen
            Thanx:
            FT
          • Helen Borrie
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
              At 08:07 AM 1/07/2004 +0000, you wrote:

              > > > The Windows gbak/server version string:
              > > > gbak: gbak version Firebird-W32-V1.0
              > > > ... version "WI-T1.5.0.3744 Firebird 1.5 Release Candidate 4"
              > >
              > > Those do not match.
              >
              >Ok, that is not match, but some of these servers must be handle the
              >database backup ! Database is handled by both of servers, and no
              >validation error in both trying.

              "Release Candidate" means "beta version". There were 8 Release Candidates
              for Fb 1.5, before the release finally came out. You are looking at nearly
              a year of bugfixes and incomplete features using RC 4. PLAY with release
              candidates, but don't deploy them for serious work.

              > > First, update Firebird to Final/Relase. Don't use Release Candidates.
              > > Second, update you gbak (included in release version). Recent is: gbak
              > > version WI-V1.5.0.4306 Firebird 1.5
              > >
              > > Always try using the same versions of db server and gbak.
              > >
              > > > The Linux gbak/server version string:
              > > > gbak: gbak version LI-V1.5.0.4290 Firebird 1.5
              > > > ... version "LI-V1.5.0.4290 Firebird 1.5"
              > >
              > > Those match.
              >
              >So - I download W32 server (the newest):
              >http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/firebird/Firebird-1.5.0.4306-Win32.exe
              >
              >but Linux superserver is have only this version:
              >
              >http://belnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/firebird/FirebirdSS-1.5.0.4290-0.i686.tar.gz
              >It is FirebirdSS-1.5.0.4290-0. I cannot found newer version of this
              >server in IBPhoenix.
              >
              >Why ?

              4290 Linux builds and 4306 Win32 builds are the same. The Windows releases
              had to be rebuilt because of a mistake in the installer script.

              > > > I need to backup, because I made many changes in DB, and I want to
              > > organize some table (because I delete many records from them).
              > >
              > > You should do backups on a regular schedule, you know...
              >
              >Ok, but I want to do it NOW.

              Get yourself lined up with the release versions of *everything* - DON'T
              FORGET the client libraries.

              /heLen
            • fowlertrainer
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
                --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Alexey Kovjazin"
                <kovjazinan@m...> wrote:
                > Hello!
                >
                > > a bug appear (I try with non transportable, and other swithces, but is
                > > nothing happened).
                > >
                > > gbak: writing data for table TEL_CALL
                > > gbak: ERROR: message length error (encountered 240, expected 232)
                > > gbak: ERROR: gds_$receive failed
                > > gbak: Exiting before completion due to errors
                >
                > Your database is corrupted - some record has lenght different from
                declared
                > in RDB$FORMATS.
                > Usually fixing such error requires some special repairing actions to
                delete
                > it on physical level (i.e., gfix or gbak will not help).
                >
                > Feel free to contact me about terms and conditions of repairing via
                > ak@i...

                Thanx for the help. I write a Delphi program that copy the table datas
                to the new empty db, and it is working good.

                FT
              • Alexey Kovjazin
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
                  Hello!

                  > Thanx for the help. I write a Delphi program that copy the table datas
                  > to the new empty db, and it is working good.

                  Why don't you use IBDataPump?
                  http://www.clevercomponents.com/products/datapump/ibdatapump.asp

                  Sincerely yours,
                  Alexey Kovyazin