Re: [firebird-support] FBReplicator...?

  • Milan Babuskov
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
      Jonathan Neve wrote:
      > Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
      > the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
      > sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
      > anyone's interrested, they can get it there.

      I don't think that would happen. One reason is that IB Phoenix has
      bought rights for IB-Replicator (I'm not sure what's the exact name),
      and they are developing it. Many IB Phoenix members are also members of
      Firebird core team, and I don't think they would like to have 2 projects
      of the same kind on their hands.

      Other reason is that other people have to test your replicator, and
      report that it is good, before anything is done.

      Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
      replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
      platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
      something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
      show-stopper.

      Setting up the sourceforge project is IMHO the best idea. You will see
      how many people are actually interested, and others can contribute to
      the code (and perhaps make a Linux version ;)

      --
      Milan Babuskov
      http://fbexport.sourceforge.net
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
        Milan Babuskov wrote:

        >Jonathan Neve wrote:
        >

        >>Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
        >>the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
        >>sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
        >>anyone's interrested, they can get it there.
        >>

        >I don't think that would happen. One reason is that IB Phoenix has
        >bought rights for IB-Replicator (I'm not sure what's the exact name),
        >and they are developing it. Many IB Phoenix members are also members of
        >Firebird core team, and I don't think they would like to have 2 projects
        >of the same kind on their hands.

        I see.

        >Other reason is that other people have to test your replicator, and
        >report that it is good, before anything is done.

        Sure.

        >Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
        >replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
        >platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
        >something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
        >show-stopper.

        No. My servers run Linux as well!
        I simply have one program on the Windows client that replicates both
        ways. There's nothing on the server, other than triggers of course.

        >Setting up the sourceforge project is IMHO the best idea. You will see
        >how many people are actually interested, and others can contribute to
        >the code (and perhaps make a Linux version ;)

        I'll do that.

        Thanks!

        Jonathan Neve.

      • Milan Babuskov
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
          Jonathan Neve wrote:
          >>Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
          >>replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
          >>platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
          >>something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
          >>show-stopper.
          >>

          > No. My servers run Linux as well!
          > I simply have one program on the Windows client that replicates both
          > ways. There's nothing on the server, other than triggers of course.

          Actually, what I forgot to write. The customer that needs replication
          has Linux-only environment. We'll see if replication is worth adding one
          Windows workstation at both sites they have. Probably not. When you
          place your code on sourceforge, I'll probably examine how it works, so I
          can make Linux port of it or something similar...