Re: [firebird-support] FBReplicator...?

  • Jonathan Neve
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
      Milan Babuskov wrote:

      >Jonathan Neve wrote:
      >

      >>So now my question is, where should I put the sources?
      >>

      >If it's going to be a separate project, and under constant development,
      >you can place it on sourceforge...

      Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
      the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
      sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
      anyone's interrested, they can get it there.

      >I have two projects of my own there,
      >and I'm satisfied (except for some site outages every now and then). If
      >you need help setting it up, just ask.

      Ok, thanks!

      Jonathan Neve.

    • Milan Babuskov
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
        Jonathan Neve wrote:
        > Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
        > the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
        > sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
        > anyone's interrested, they can get it there.

        I don't think that would happen. One reason is that IB Phoenix has
        bought rights for IB-Replicator (I'm not sure what's the exact name),
        and they are developing it. Many IB Phoenix members are also members of
        Firebird core team, and I don't think they would like to have 2 projects
        of the same kind on their hands.

        Other reason is that other people have to test your replicator, and
        report that it is good, before anything is done.

        Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
        replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
        platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
        something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
        show-stopper.

        Setting up the sourceforge project is IMHO the best idea. You will see
        how many people are actually interested, and others can contribute to
        the code (and perhaps make a Linux version ;)

        --
        Milan Babuskov
        http://fbexport.sourceforge.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
          Milan Babuskov wrote:

          >Jonathan Neve wrote:
          >

          >>Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
          >>the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
          >>sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
          >>anyone's interrested, they can get it there.
          >>

          >I don't think that would happen. One reason is that IB Phoenix has
          >bought rights for IB-Replicator (I'm not sure what's the exact name),
          >and they are developing it. Many IB Phoenix members are also members of
          >Firebird core team, and I don't think they would like to have 2 projects
          >of the same kind on their hands.

          I see.

          >Other reason is that other people have to test your replicator, and
          >report that it is good, before anything is done.

          Sure.

          >Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
          >replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
          >platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
          >something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
          >show-stopper.

          No. My servers run Linux as well!
          I simply have one program on the Windows client that replicates both
          ways. There's nothing on the server, other than triggers of course.

          >Setting up the sourceforge project is IMHO the best idea. You will see
          >how many people are actually interested, and others can contribute to
          >the code (and perhaps make a Linux version ;)

          I'll do that.

          Thanks!

          Jonathan Neve.

        • Milan Babuskov
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
            Jonathan Neve wrote:
            >>Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
            >>replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
            >>platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
            >>something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
            >>show-stopper.
            >>

            > No. My servers run Linux as well!
            > I simply have one program on the Windows client that replicates both
            > ways. There's nothing on the server, other than triggers of course.

            Actually, what I forgot to write. The customer that needs replication
            has Linux-only environment. We'll see if replication is worth adding one
            Windows workstation at both sites they have. Probably not. When you
            place your code on sourceforge, I'll probably examine how it works, so I
            can make Linux port of it or something similar...