Re: [firebird-support] OT - C++ + IDE + FREE

  • Olivier Mascia
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
      Dear,

      On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:16:40 +0000 (GMT),
      jini us wrote :

      > I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
      > Environment.
      >
      > Preferably one that is fully loaded
      > with features which include
      > - develop windows application.
      > - Target is Microsoft Windows
      > - With a installshield like packager.

      Look at Borland C++ BuilderX, not to be confused with C++ Builder 6.
      Not the best, but there is a free personal version.
      It can use multiple compilers, including MingW GCC and Borland free
      compiler.

      Not sure if there is some install tool included though.
      But InnoSetup is a real good one.

      --
      Best Regards,
      Olivier Mascia
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
        If you still looking try Dev-CPP from Bloodshed
        here is there URL : http://www.bloodshed.net/

        Good luck

        At 08:16 17/11/2003 +0000, you wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
        >Environment.
        >
        >Preferably one that is fully loaded
        >with features which include
        >- develop windows application.
        >- Target is Microsoft Windows
        >- With a installshield like packager.

        >---
        >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

      • Henrik Sitter
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
          Hum.

          This is probably off track, but it might save you hours of coding
          time... Until recently I used c++ for almost every app I have written,
          but writing GUI using c++ apis like FLTK and FOX Toolkit takes a lot of
          time and can really be a pain in the a..

          So I looked for alternatives to be more productive, where I could write
          GUI (and other things also ofc) in another language, and then use c++
          for critical sections in my code. It brought me into the world of
          python, and I don't know if you have ever used it, but if not you really
          should :)

          So you might want to look up python, wxPython and Boa Constructor. It is
          all open source and free. Python is the programming language, wxPython
          is a GUI toolkit for python and Boa Constructor is an IDE. For mixing
          python with c++ you could look up boost.python.

          Henrik.

          I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
          Environment.

          Preferably one that is fully loaded
          with features which include
          - develop windows application.
          - Target is Microsoft Windows
          - With a installshield like packager.

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Milan Babuskov
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
            Jonathan Neve wrote:
            > So now my question is, where should I put the sources?

            If it's going to be a separate project, and under constant development,
            you can place it on sourceforge... I have two projects of my own there,
            and I'm satisfied (except for some site outages every now and then). If
            you need help setting it up, just ask.

            --
            Milan Babuskov
            http://fbexport.sourceforge.net
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
              Milan Babuskov wrote:

              >Jonathan Neve wrote:
              >

              >>So now my question is, where should I put the sources?
              >>

              >If it's going to be a separate project, and under constant development,
              >you can place it on sourceforge...

              Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
              the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
              sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
              anyone's interrested, they can get it there.

              >I have two projects of my own there,
              >and I'm satisfied (except for some site outages every now and then). If
              >you need help setting it up, just ask.

              Ok, thanks!

              Jonathan Neve.

            • Milan Babuskov
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
                Jonathan Neve wrote:
                > Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
                > the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
                > sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
                > anyone's interrested, they can get it there.

                I don't think that would happen. One reason is that IB Phoenix has
                bought rights for IB-Replicator (I'm not sure what's the exact name),
                and they are developing it. Many IB Phoenix members are also members of
                Firebird core team, and I don't think they would like to have 2 projects
                of the same kind on their hands.

                Other reason is that other people have to test your replicator, and
                report that it is good, before anything is done.

                Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
                replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
                platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
                something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
                show-stopper.

                Setting up the sourceforge project is IMHO the best idea. You will see
                how many people are actually interested, and others can contribute to
                the code (and perhaps make a Linux version ;)

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
                  Milan Babuskov wrote:

                  >Jonathan Neve wrote:
                  >

                  >>Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
                  >>the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
                  >>sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
                  >>anyone's interrested, they can get it there.
                  >>

                  >I don't think that would happen. One reason is that IB Phoenix has
                  >bought rights for IB-Replicator (I'm not sure what's the exact name),
                  >and they are developing it. Many IB Phoenix members are also members of
                  >Firebird core team, and I don't think they would like to have 2 projects
                  >of the same kind on their hands.

                  I see.

                  >Other reason is that other people have to test your replicator, and
                  >report that it is good, before anything is done.

                  Sure.

                  >Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
                  >replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
                  >platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
                  >something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
                  >show-stopper.

                  No. My servers run Linux as well!
                  I simply have one program on the Windows client that replicates both
                  ways. There's nothing on the server, other than triggers of course.

                  >Setting up the sourceforge project is IMHO the best idea. You will see
                  >how many people are actually interested, and others can contribute to
                  >the code (and perhaps make a Linux version ;)

                  I'll do that.

                  Thanks!

                  Jonathan Neve.

                • Milan Babuskov
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
                    Jonathan Neve wrote:
                    >>Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
                    >>replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
                    >>platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
                    >>something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
                    >>show-stopper.
                    >>

                    > No. My servers run Linux as well!
                    > I simply have one program on the Windows client that replicates both
                    > ways. There's nothing on the server, other than triggers of course.

                    Actually, what I forgot to write. The customer that needs replication
                    has Linux-only environment. We'll see if replication is worth adding one
                    Windows workstation at both sites they have. Probably not. When you
                    place your code on sourceforge, I'll probably examine how it works, so I
                    can make Linux port of it or something similar...