OT - C++ + IDE + FREE

  • jini us
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
      Hi,

      I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
      Environment.

      Preferably one that is fully loaded
      with features which include
      - develop windows application.
      - Target is Microsoft Windows
      - With a installshield like packager.

    • Lester Caine
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
        > I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
        > Environment.

        And a few chicken teeth at the same time?

        > Preferably one that is fully loaded
        > with features which include
        > - develop windows application.
        > - Target is Microsoft Windows
        > - With a installshield like packager.

        Eclipse falls at the first hurdle, because while it runs
        quite happily in windows, the completion of windows
        applications is still weak.
        It is still worth a look at though, as the CDT add on
        provides a very nice C++ IDE, and Eclipse itself provides a
        lot more besides.
        http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/
        I've only output a simple C++ job to Linux - I'm using it
        for PHP development at present :)

        --
        Lester Caine
        -----------------------------
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
          Dear,

          On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:16:40 +0000 (GMT),
          jini us wrote :

          > I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
          > Environment.
          >
          > Preferably one that is fully loaded
          > with features which include
          > - develop windows application.
          > - Target is Microsoft Windows
          > - With a installshield like packager.

          Look at Borland C++ BuilderX, not to be confused with C++ Builder 6.
          Not the best, but there is a free personal version.
          It can use multiple compilers, including MingW GCC and Borland free
          compiler.

          Not sure if there is some install tool included though.
          But InnoSetup is a real good one.

          --
          Best Regards,
          Olivier Mascia
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
            If you still looking try Dev-CPP from Bloodshed
            here is there URL : http://www.bloodshed.net/

            Good luck

            At 08:16 17/11/2003 +0000, you wrote:

            >Hi,
            >
            >I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
            >Environment.
            >
            >Preferably one that is fully loaded
            >with features which include
            >- develop windows application.
            >- Target is Microsoft Windows
            >- With a installshield like packager.

            >---
            >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          • Henrik Sitter
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
              Hum.

              This is probably off track, but it might save you hours of coding
              time... Until recently I used c++ for almost every app I have written,
              but writing GUI using c++ apis like FLTK and FOX Toolkit takes a lot of
              time and can really be a pain in the a..

              So I looked for alternatives to be more productive, where I could write
              GUI (and other things also ofc) in another language, and then use c++
              for critical sections in my code. It brought me into the world of
              python, and I don't know if you have ever used it, but if not you really
              should :)

              So you might want to look up python, wxPython and Boa Constructor. It is
              all open source and free. Python is the programming language, wxPython
              is a GUI toolkit for python and Boa Constructor is an IDE. For mixing
              python with c++ you could look up boost.python.

              Henrik.

              I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
              Environment.

              Preferably one that is fully loaded
              with features which include
              - develop windows application.
              - Target is Microsoft Windows
              - With a installshield like packager.

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Milan Babuskov
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                Jonathan Neve wrote:
                > So now my question is, where should I put the sources?

                If it's going to be a separate project, and under constant development,
                you can place it on sourceforge... I have two projects of my own there,
                and I'm satisfied (except for some site outages every now and then). If
                you need help setting it up, just ask.

                --
                Milan Babuskov
                http://fbexport.sourceforge.net
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                  Milan Babuskov wrote:

                  >Jonathan Neve wrote:
                  >

                  >>So now my question is, where should I put the sources?
                  >>

                  >If it's going to be a separate project, and under constant development,
                  >you can place it on sourceforge...

                  Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
                  the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
                  sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
                  anyone's interrested, they can get it there.

                  >I have two projects of my own there,
                  >and I'm satisfied (except for some site outages every now and then). If
                  >you need help setting it up, just ask.

                  Ok, thanks!

                  Jonathan Neve.

                • Milan Babuskov
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
                    Jonathan Neve wrote:
                    > Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
                    > the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
                    > sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
                    > anyone's interrested, they can get it there.

                    I don't think that would happen. One reason is that IB Phoenix has
                    bought rights for IB-Replicator (I'm not sure what's the exact name),
                    and they are developing it. Many IB Phoenix members are also members of
                    Firebird core team, and I don't think they would like to have 2 projects
                    of the same kind on their hands.

                    Other reason is that other people have to test your replicator, and
                    report that it is good, before anything is done.

                    Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
                    replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
                    platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
                    something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
                    show-stopper.

                    Setting up the sourceforge project is IMHO the best idea. You will see
                    how many people are actually interested, and others can contribute to
                    the code (and perhaps make a Linux version ;)

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
                      Milan Babuskov wrote:

                      >Jonathan Neve wrote:
                      >

                      >>Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
                      >>the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
                      >>sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
                      >>anyone's interrested, they can get it there.
                      >>

                      >I don't think that would happen. One reason is that IB Phoenix has
                      >bought rights for IB-Replicator (I'm not sure what's the exact name),
                      >and they are developing it. Many IB Phoenix members are also members of
                      >Firebird core team, and I don't think they would like to have 2 projects
                      >of the same kind on their hands.

                      I see.

                      >Other reason is that other people have to test your replicator, and
                      >report that it is good, before anything is done.

                      Sure.

                      >Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
                      >replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
                      >platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
                      >something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
                      >show-stopper.

                      No. My servers run Linux as well!
                      I simply have one program on the Windows client that replicates both
                      ways. There's nothing on the server, other than triggers of course.

                      >Setting up the sourceforge project is IMHO the best idea. You will see
                      >how many people are actually interested, and others can contribute to
                      >the code (and perhaps make a Linux version ;)

                      I'll do that.

                      Thanks!

                      Jonathan Neve.

                    • Milan Babuskov
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
                        Jonathan Neve wrote:
                        >>Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
                        >>replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
                        >>platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
                        >>something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
                        >>show-stopper.
                        >>

                        > No. My servers run Linux as well!
                        > I simply have one program on the Windows client that replicates both
                        > ways. There's nothing on the server, other than triggers of course.

                        Actually, what I forgot to write. The customer that needs replication
                        has Linux-only environment. We'll see if replication is worth adding one
                        Windows workstation at both sites they have. Probably not. When you
                        place your code on sourceforge, I'll probably examine how it works, so I
                        can make Linux port of it or something similar...