Re: FBReplicator...?

  • Claus
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
      +1 +1 .... another one ....

      Go ahead ...

      --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Burak OZLER"

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > Bilinen virusler icin taramasi yapildi. Scanned for known viruses.

      > Bilinen virusler icin taramasi yapildi. Scanned for known viruses.
    • Jonathan Neve
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
        Thanks all for your replies,

        FYI, I'm writing it in C++Builder, using FIBPlus and IB6.0.
        As far as I know, I don't think I've done anything that wouldn't work
        using FireBird, but I haven't tested.

        Thanks for your interrest,
        Jonathan Neve.
      • Dimitry Sibiryakov
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
          On 1 Oct 2003 at 21:57, Jonathan Neve wrote:

          >FYI, I'm writing it in C++Builder, using FIBPlus and IB6.0.

          That's not good. Open-source project based on commercial
          components... After publishing one of the first-priority tasks should
          be rewriting it, using UIB or API, IMHO.

          SY, Dimitry Sibiryakov.
        • Jonathan Neve
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 15, 2003
            Hi all!

            I wrote a while ago to say that I was writing a replicator for IB/FB,
            that I would be glad to contribute to the FireBird community. Wouldn't
            it be nice for FireBird to be bundled with a good replicator, like
            Interbase? I know there are several commercial replicators available,
            other than IBReplicator, as well as one freeware replicator. However,
            that replicator is only one-way. This could be useful, but, in many
            circustances, it wouldn't be good enough. So that's why I thought I
            could perhaps give you the replicator I wrote, because I would have been
            quite glad if I had been able to find such a replicator a few months ago
            before I started!

            My replicator includes quite a few features that aren't present in
            IBReplicator at all. This is because I had a created an database
            application, and a database, without replication in mind at all. With a
            bit of hindsight, I think I have put too much intelligence in the
            database (mostly triggers), which often causes difficulties, and
            certainly made replicating much harder, as triggers have a nasty
            tendancy of firing at you when you're not expecting it! :-)

            Too get around the many problems I came across, I had to implement some
            rather advanced features that I've never seen in any other replicator
            (perhaps they do exist somewhere, I've just never seen it).

            So here is a brief description of how it works:

            The situation this replicator was designed for was that I had one main
            database, which all the clients were connected to through internet. To
            make things faster, I have made so that now each client is to have their
            own copy of the database, and all changes made to one get replicated to
            the other, and vice-versa. I'm explaining this, just to say that as
            things are at present, there has to be a direct connection to the main
            database server in order to be able to synchronize changes. You can't
            simply drop off the changes on some server, for the other clients to
            then come and pick them up. I don't think it would be very difficult to
            add this functionnality to the existing replicator, but as I have no
            need of it, I didn't do it.

            This is tied in with another aspect of the replicator, which is that it
            requires no software on the server side. This was important for me, as
            my database server runs under Linux.

            So on each client machine there is a replicator, and on the server,
            there is nothing special. Periodically, the replicator kicks in and
            replicates all changes, first from the client to the server, then from
            the server to the client. Both server and client can be used as local
            database servers (such is my case).

            So in each database, there are three triggers per replicated table (you
            can configure which ones you want to replicate). These triggers insert
            into a log table one line per event and per user, the users being listed
            in another table. When the replicator then connects, it takes only such
            records as concern the client machine it's running on, and then deletes
            them.

            So far, I think this is basicly how all replicators work. Here now are a
            few specific features of mine.

            One is replicating procedures. This sort of thing shouldn't usually be
            necessary, but I implemented it in order to get out of a difficult
            situation, and it might be useful also for someone else. The problem was
            that I have a table in my database called STOCK. This table contains one
            line per product and per sales-point, and a quantity field indicating
            the number of these products in stock at the present time. To avoid
            problems, I do all updates to this table through a dedicated procedure
            called STOCK_MVT, to which I pass as a parameter the number of products
            to add to/subtract from the stock. If I simply replicate this table,
            what will happen? Suppose in databases A and B, a certain product had
            value 45. Suppose 4 of this product are then added to the stock in
            database A, and 3 are subtracted in database B. DB A will end up with
            quantity 49 and DB B will end up with 42. Suppose DB A replicates at
            this point. The value from DB A will get sent to the server, so the
            server will have a value of 49. Then DB B replicates. So either the
            server gets the value from DB B (42), or DB B gets the server's value
            (49), but either way, both are wrong. The correct quantity is obviously
            46. Yet none of the three databases would have this value!

            So this is unacceptable. Instead, I now replicate my stored procedure
            call. In other words, I created another procedure that calls my stored
            procedure, and also logs the call in the replication log, with the exact
            SQL statement that was executed. That way, the replicator simple reads
            the "EXECUTE PROCEDURE" statement, and executes it. This solved my
            problem, because now instead of sending the value to the server, each
            database merely sends its change (+4 or -3). So now DB A would send +4
            to the server, resulting in value 49. DB B would then send -3 to the
            server, resulting in 46 on the server, and it would also get +4 from the
            server, so that from 42 it would also move up to 46. Next time DB A
            replicates, it would then get the -3 from the server, and every one
            would have the same value.

            As an example, here's the text of my procedure:

            CREATE PROCEDURE RPL$STOCK_MVT
            (
            SITE CHAR(1),
            LIBELLE VARCHAR(100),
            ARTICLE VARCHAR(10),
            TYPE_MVT CHAR(1),
            ENTREE INTEGER,
            SORTIE INTEGER,
            DDATE TIMESTAMP,
            DOCUMENT VARCHAR(20),
            LOGCODE INTEGER
            )
            AS
            DECLARE VARIABLE PK1_VALUE INTEGER;
            DECLARE VARIABLE EXEC_PROC_STATEMENT VARCHAR(200);
            BEGIN
            PK1_VALUE = GEN_ID(GEN_RPL$STOCK_MVT, 1);
            EXEC_PROC_STATEMENT = 'EXECUTE PROCEDURE RPL$STOCK_MVT(' || '''' ||
            :SITE || '''' || ', ' || '''' || :LIBELLE || '''' || ', ' || '''' ||
            :ARTICLE || '''' || ', ' || '''' || :TYPE_MVT || '''' || ', ' || :ENTREE
            || ', ' || :SORTIE || ', ' || '''' || :DDATE || '''' || ', ' || '''' ||
            :DOCUMENT || '''' || ', ' || :LOGCODE || ')';
            EXECUTE PROCEDURE STOCK_MVT(:SITE, :LIBELLE, :ARTICLE, :TYPE_MVT,
            :ENTREE, :SORTIE, :DDATE, :DOCUMENT, :LOGCODE);
            EXECUTE PROCEDURE RPL$GENERATE_LOG ('STOCK_MVT', null, :PK1_VALUE,
            null, null, null,
            null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null,
            null, 2250, EXEC_PROC_STATEMENT);
            END

            Another difference is that I handle synchronizing column values that are
            attributed automatically (either through a generator or through a stored
            procedure). That is, I provide a generator or stored procedure that I
            should use to get the values. Then, on the client side, these fields get
            temporary values. When the record gets replicated to the main server,
            the column values get updated to be synchronous with the server (I get
            the generator value from the server, and update it locally). I then go
            on with the replication.

            This is good for values that are attributed automatically, and need to
            be synchronized. However, I found another solution to this same problem
            for the case of detail tables that depend on some other master table.
            For example, I have an invoice table, and another table (called
            FACTURES_CORPS) with all the invoice lines. The FACTURES_CORPS table has
            a field (called FACTURE) that references the main (FACTURES) table. The
            primary key of this table is governed by a generator, and is never seen
            by the end user. For cases like this, I made another solution. I choose
            a field (in this case, FACTURE), and instead of replicating each line of
            an invoice individually, I delete all the lines having a certain value
            of the FACTURE field, and then reinsert them all. Whilst I reinsert
            them, I take the primary key value on the fly from the generator of the
            server, and don't update it locally. So every time one line in the
            invoice is updated, they all get deleted and reinserted. This is a
            perfect solution for this sort of situation, because it's simpler and
            less time-consuming than updating it locally. Besides, it avoids the
            potential problem of the replication being stuck because of trying to
            update a record which the user is busy modifying.

            Also, to avoid problems with dependancies, I attributed to each table a
            priority, so that changes don't get replicated in the order they occured
            in, but in priority order. This also solved several potential problems.

            As you can imagine, it could get tedious to code this by hand, so I made
            a little program to generate the metadata for me. I display a DBGrid,
            with the list of my procedures, and I simply select the one(s) I want to
            replicate, set the priority, and the rest gets done automatically. I do
            the same thing for the tables. I can also configure which users I want,
            and it automatically creates them. Also, I automatically grant
            everything to PUBLIC, which simplfies things for me. Obviously, this
            behaviour should probably be changed to grant full rights only to the
            replicator users, as some people might not want to grant all to PUBLIC! :-)
            I also use this program to store a lot of configuration information in
            the registry.

            A few more details:
            1) I made it so that the replicator logs everything it does in a memo on
            the sceen, and if ever something goes wrong, my customer can send me the
            complete log by email by simply clicking on a button.
            2) I also handle getting new versions of the application automatically
            by FTP. I simply have a table in the database to which I add a line
            every time there is a new version to fetch, telling me which file to
            take, and which SQL script to take. That way, I can make sure the
            metadata is synchronized as well.

            Now for some other considerations.

            I'm submitting this code to you all as such. I would love to see it
            become FBReplicator, but I cannot be in charge of organizing it. I'm
            counting on finding someone else willing and able to adapt this code to
            his own situation or somebody else's. After all, I've done the hard
            part, there are just a few little things that should perhaps be
            straightened out before releasing to the general public.

            One such thing is 3rd party libraries.
            There are actually two programs (written in C++Builder 5): Replicator,
            and Repl_Config. In these programs, I use FIBPlus for database access,
            Raize (not much) for the interface, EhLib(for the excellent DBGrid), RX
            and Systools for the Systray, FormState, as well as registry access. I
            also use Indy for the SMTP and FTP access. The only difficulty would be
            with FIBPlus, Raize, and EhLib, as the others are free. However, I
            hardly use Raize at all, so it would be very easy to remove that. The
            only difficulty in removing EhLib would be that I use a nice feature of
            the TDBGridEh, which is to import and export itself. However, I think
            there are some free components that can do the same sort of thing. So
            the only one that involves a bit of work is FIBPlus. But even that isn't
            so bad. I think the whole thing is under about 3000 lines of code. I
            have only 3 forms, and about 30-40 queries (approx.). So this is a bit
            of work, but it wouldn't involve changing that much code, nor anything
            structural.

            The other main thing I can see is the language. All the interface is in
            French. It shouldn't be too bad, as there isn't an extensive amount of
            interface, but it would still involve a bit of translating.

            Also, there's one little limitation, that could perhaps be removed
            (although I don't see any immediate need to do so), and that is that I
            only support multi-column primary keys up to 3 columns.

            These are the only things I can think of that could require a little
            work before the product is ready to be released.

            However, as I said, I cannot be counted on to do this work. I made the
            replicator for my own needs (or rather for my customer's), and I didn't
            do it during my free time; that's my job. As a result, I can't really
            afford to maintain an opensource product during what little free time I
            have; I usually prefer to do other things than programming! :-)

            So, as I have already said, I'm hoping that someone will take interest,
            and organize the project. If anyone is interested, please contact me,
            and I'll send you the source code. If you want to see what the
            executable's like, I could send you that too.

            I plan to write an extensive help file, one for the end-user, and one
            for the programmer, explaining in detail the inner workings of the
            replicator. This will of course be in French, but it could be translated.

            Jonathan Neve.
          • Ernesto Cullen
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 16, 2003
              Hi Jonathan,
              I am willing to help. I am in the need of such a tool, planning to write
              my own, but if you have one working why reinvent the wheel? I think is a
              good idea to have such a tool included with FB or at least, freely
              available. I'm not a C++ fan, I work mostly in Delphi, but i think the
              programs can be translated without much work. That way we could have
              versions of the programs for the two languages. And speaking of languages,
              my mother tongue is Spanish and I can read/write english so i could do a
              translation to those languages.
              I really have no experience in managing projects remotely, but I can try
              if there is no one else...

              Ernesto Cullen
              ecullen@...
              http://www.infoback.com.ar/buhardilla
              Paraná, Entre Ríos
              Argentina

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 16, 2003
                Ernesto Cullen wrote:

                >Hi Jonathan,
                > I am willing to help.

                Excellent!

                >I am in the need of such a tool, planning to write
                >my own, but if you have one working why reinvent the wheel? I think is a
                >good idea to have such a tool included with FB or at least, freely
                >available. I'm not a C++ fan, I work mostly in Delphi, but i think the
                >programs can be translated without much work.

                Yes, this might be a good idea, there seem to be far more people working
                with Delphi than C++Builder. I agree that it shouldn't be very hard to
                translate, as I didn't do anything fancy, just simple C++. Even I could
                almost translate it into Pascal! But aren't there automatic C++ to
                Pascal converters to handle the bulk of the code?

                >That way we could have
                >versions of the programs for the two languages. And speaking of languages,
                >my mother tongue is Spanish and I can read/write english so i could do a
                >translation to those languages.
                > I really have no experience in managing projects remotely, but I can try
                >if there is no one else...

                Good. If the project were converted to Delphi, I think Gary Benner (the
                first person who responded to my post), as well as others perhaps, would
                be interested in helping.

                So now my question is, where should I put the sources?

                BTW, I was wondering if perhaps this should get posted to
                Firebird-devel, as it's closer to developpement than support....?

                Thanks!

                Jonathan Neve.
              • jini us
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                  Hi,

                  I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
                  Environment.

                  Preferably one that is fully loaded
                  with features which include
                  - develop windows application.
                  - Target is Microsoft Windows
                  - With a installshield like packager.

                • Lester Caine
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                    > I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
                    > Environment.

                    And a few chicken teeth at the same time?

                    > Preferably one that is fully loaded
                    > with features which include
                    > - develop windows application.
                    > - Target is Microsoft Windows
                    > - With a installshield like packager.

                    Eclipse falls at the first hurdle, because while it runs
                    quite happily in windows, the completion of windows
                    applications is still weak.
                    It is still worth a look at though, as the CDT add on
                    provides a very nice C++ IDE, and Eclipse itself provides a
                    lot more besides.
                    http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/
                    I've only output a simple C++ job to Linux - I'm using it
                    for PHP development at present :)

                    --
                    Lester Caine
                    -----------------------------
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                      Dear,

                      On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:16:40 +0000 (GMT),
                      jini us wrote :

                      > I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
                      > Environment.
                      >
                      > Preferably one that is fully loaded
                      > with features which include
                      > - develop windows application.
                      > - Target is Microsoft Windows
                      > - With a installshield like packager.

                      Look at Borland C++ BuilderX, not to be confused with C++ Builder 6.
                      Not the best, but there is a free personal version.
                      It can use multiple compilers, including MingW GCC and Borland free
                      compiler.

                      Not sure if there is some install tool included though.
                      But InnoSetup is a real good one.

                      --
                      Best Regards,
                      Olivier Mascia
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                        If you still looking try Dev-CPP from Bloodshed
                        here is there URL : http://www.bloodshed.net/

                        Good luck

                        At 08:16 17/11/2003 +0000, you wrote:

                        >Hi,
                        >
                        >I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
                        >Environment.
                        >
                        >Preferably one that is fully loaded
                        >with features which include
                        >- develop windows application.
                        >- Target is Microsoft Windows
                        >- With a installshield like packager.

                        >---
                        >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                      • Henrik Sitter
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                          Hum.

                          This is probably off track, but it might save you hours of coding
                          time... Until recently I used c++ for almost every app I have written,
                          but writing GUI using c++ apis like FLTK and FOX Toolkit takes a lot of
                          time and can really be a pain in the a..

                          So I looked for alternatives to be more productive, where I could write
                          GUI (and other things also ofc) in another language, and then use c++
                          for critical sections in my code. It brought me into the world of
                          python, and I don't know if you have ever used it, but if not you really
                          should :)

                          So you might want to look up python, wxPython and Boa Constructor. It is
                          all open source and free. Python is the programming language, wxPython
                          is a GUI toolkit for python and Boa Constructor is an IDE. For mixing
                          python with c++ you could look up boost.python.

                          Henrik.

                          I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
                          Environment.

                          Preferably one that is fully loaded
                          with features which include
                          - develop windows application.
                          - Target is Microsoft Windows
                          - With a installshield like packager.

                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        • Milan Babuskov
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                            Jonathan Neve wrote:
                            > So now my question is, where should I put the sources?

                            If it's going to be a separate project, and under constant development,
                            you can place it on sourceforge... I have two projects of my own there,
                            and I'm satisfied (except for some site outages every now and then). If
                            you need help setting it up, just ask.

                            --
                            Milan Babuskov
                            http://fbexport.sourceforge.net
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                              Milan Babuskov wrote:

                              >Jonathan Neve wrote:
                              >

                              >>So now my question is, where should I put the sources?
                              >>

                              >If it's going to be a separate project, and under constant development,
                              >you can place it on sourceforge...

                              Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
                              the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
                              sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
                              anyone's interrested, they can get it there.

                              >I have two projects of my own there,
                              >and I'm satisfied (except for some site outages every now and then). If
                              >you need help setting it up, just ask.

                              Ok, thanks!

                              Jonathan Neve.

                            • Milan Babuskov
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
                                Jonathan Neve wrote:
                                > Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
                                > the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
                                > sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
                                > anyone's interrested, they can get it there.

                                I don't think that would happen. One reason is that IB Phoenix has
                                bought rights for IB-Replicator (I'm not sure what's the exact name),
                                and they are developing it. Many IB Phoenix members are also members of
                                Firebird core team, and I don't think they would like to have 2 projects
                                of the same kind on their hands.

                                Other reason is that other people have to test your replicator, and
                                report that it is good, before anything is done.

                                Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
                                replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
                                platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
                                something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
                                show-stopper.

                                Setting up the sourceforge project is IMHO the best idea. You will see
                                how many people are actually interested, and others can contribute to
                                the code (and perhaps make a Linux version ;)

                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
                                  Milan Babuskov wrote:

                                  >Jonathan Neve wrote:
                                  >

                                  >>Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
                                  >>the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
                                  >>sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
                                  >>anyone's interrested, they can get it there.
                                  >>

                                  >I don't think that would happen. One reason is that IB Phoenix has
                                  >bought rights for IB-Replicator (I'm not sure what's the exact name),
                                  >and they are developing it. Many IB Phoenix members are also members of
                                  >Firebird core team, and I don't think they would like to have 2 projects
                                  >of the same kind on their hands.

                                  I see.

                                  >Other reason is that other people have to test your replicator, and
                                  >report that it is good, before anything is done.

                                  Sure.

                                  >Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
                                  >replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
                                  >platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
                                  >something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
                                  >show-stopper.

                                  No. My servers run Linux as well!
                                  I simply have one program on the Windows client that replicates both
                                  ways. There's nothing on the server, other than triggers of course.

                                  >Setting up the sourceforge project is IMHO the best idea. You will see
                                  >how many people are actually interested, and others can contribute to
                                  >the code (and perhaps make a Linux version ;)

                                  I'll do that.

                                  Thanks!

                                  Jonathan Neve.

                                • Milan Babuskov
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
                                    Jonathan Neve wrote:
                                    >>Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
                                    >>replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
                                    >>platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
                                    >>something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
                                    >>show-stopper.
                                    >>

                                    > No. My servers run Linux as well!
                                    > I simply have one program on the Windows client that replicates both
                                    > ways. There's nothing on the server, other than triggers of course.

                                    Actually, what I forgot to write. The customer that needs replication
                                    has Linux-only environment. We'll see if replication is worth adding one
                                    Windows workstation at both sites they have. Probably not. When you
                                    place your code on sourceforge, I'll probably examine how it works, so I
                                    can make Linux port of it or something similar...