Re: [firebird-support] FBReplicator...?

  • Diego - DM2
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hi Jonathan,

      It's very good you wanting to "donate" your project to the open source
      community, and yes, there is a demand for that, because any large company
      needs replication of data! In my projects, for example, I tryed a lot of
      replicators and made the decision for one that is freeware, bu if i could
      choose one opensource too, it would be better.

      Diego Menin
      DBA - DM2/Brasil
      icq : 86406546
      www.cartonline.com.br

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
        > So my question is simply this : is there any demand for this sort of
        > thing?

        Yes, I'm interresed in too. I didn't find any convenient replicator for my project.

        Regards,

        Pierre Y.
      • Burak OZLER
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
          +1
          > So my question is simply this : is there any demand for this sort of
          > thing?

          Yes, I'm interresed in too. I didn't find any convenient replicator for my project.

          Regards,

          Pierre Y.

          Bilinen virusler icin taramasi yapildi. Scanned for known viruses.

          Bilinen virusler icin taramasi yapildi. Scanned for known viruses.
        • Claus
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
            +1 +1 .... another one ....

            Go ahead ...

            --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Burak OZLER"

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > Bilinen virusler icin taramasi yapildi. Scanned for known viruses.

            > Bilinen virusler icin taramasi yapildi. Scanned for known viruses.
          • Jonathan Neve
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
              Thanks all for your replies,

              FYI, I'm writing it in C++Builder, using FIBPlus and IB6.0.
              As far as I know, I don't think I've done anything that wouldn't work
              using FireBird, but I haven't tested.

              Thanks for your interrest,
              Jonathan Neve.
            • Dimitry Sibiryakov
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
                On 1 Oct 2003 at 21:57, Jonathan Neve wrote:

                >FYI, I'm writing it in C++Builder, using FIBPlus and IB6.0.

                That's not good. Open-source project based on commercial
                components... After publishing one of the first-priority tasks should
                be rewriting it, using UIB or API, IMHO.

                SY, Dimitry Sibiryakov.
              • Jonathan Neve
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 15, 2003
                  Hi all!

                  I wrote a while ago to say that I was writing a replicator for IB/FB,
                  that I would be glad to contribute to the FireBird community. Wouldn't
                  it be nice for FireBird to be bundled with a good replicator, like
                  Interbase? I know there are several commercial replicators available,
                  other than IBReplicator, as well as one freeware replicator. However,
                  that replicator is only one-way. This could be useful, but, in many
                  circustances, it wouldn't be good enough. So that's why I thought I
                  could perhaps give you the replicator I wrote, because I would have been
                  quite glad if I had been able to find such a replicator a few months ago
                  before I started!

                  My replicator includes quite a few features that aren't present in
                  IBReplicator at all. This is because I had a created an database
                  application, and a database, without replication in mind at all. With a
                  bit of hindsight, I think I have put too much intelligence in the
                  database (mostly triggers), which often causes difficulties, and
                  certainly made replicating much harder, as triggers have a nasty
                  tendancy of firing at you when you're not expecting it! :-)

                  Too get around the many problems I came across, I had to implement some
                  rather advanced features that I've never seen in any other replicator
                  (perhaps they do exist somewhere, I've just never seen it).

                  So here is a brief description of how it works:

                  The situation this replicator was designed for was that I had one main
                  database, which all the clients were connected to through internet. To
                  make things faster, I have made so that now each client is to have their
                  own copy of the database, and all changes made to one get replicated to
                  the other, and vice-versa. I'm explaining this, just to say that as
                  things are at present, there has to be a direct connection to the main
                  database server in order to be able to synchronize changes. You can't
                  simply drop off the changes on some server, for the other clients to
                  then come and pick them up. I don't think it would be very difficult to
                  add this functionnality to the existing replicator, but as I have no
                  need of it, I didn't do it.

                  This is tied in with another aspect of the replicator, which is that it
                  requires no software on the server side. This was important for me, as
                  my database server runs under Linux.

                  So on each client machine there is a replicator, and on the server,
                  there is nothing special. Periodically, the replicator kicks in and
                  replicates all changes, first from the client to the server, then from
                  the server to the client. Both server and client can be used as local
                  database servers (such is my case).

                  So in each database, there are three triggers per replicated table (you
                  can configure which ones you want to replicate). These triggers insert
                  into a log table one line per event and per user, the users being listed
                  in another table. When the replicator then connects, it takes only such
                  records as concern the client machine it's running on, and then deletes
                  them.

                  So far, I think this is basicly how all replicators work. Here now are a
                  few specific features of mine.

                  One is replicating procedures. This sort of thing shouldn't usually be
                  necessary, but I implemented it in order to get out of a difficult
                  situation, and it might be useful also for someone else. The problem was
                  that I have a table in my database called STOCK. This table contains one
                  line per product and per sales-point, and a quantity field indicating
                  the number of these products in stock at the present time. To avoid
                  problems, I do all updates to this table through a dedicated procedure
                  called STOCK_MVT, to which I pass as a parameter the number of products
                  to add to/subtract from the stock. If I simply replicate this table,
                  what will happen? Suppose in databases A and B, a certain product had
                  value 45. Suppose 4 of this product are then added to the stock in
                  database A, and 3 are subtracted in database B. DB A will end up with
                  quantity 49 and DB B will end up with 42. Suppose DB A replicates at
                  this point. The value from DB A will get sent to the server, so the
                  server will have a value of 49. Then DB B replicates. So either the
                  server gets the value from DB B (42), or DB B gets the server's value
                  (49), but either way, both are wrong. The correct quantity is obviously
                  46. Yet none of the three databases would have this value!

                  So this is unacceptable. Instead, I now replicate my stored procedure
                  call. In other words, I created another procedure that calls my stored
                  procedure, and also logs the call in the replication log, with the exact
                  SQL statement that was executed. That way, the replicator simple reads
                  the "EXECUTE PROCEDURE" statement, and executes it. This solved my
                  problem, because now instead of sending the value to the server, each
                  database merely sends its change (+4 or -3). So now DB A would send +4
                  to the server, resulting in value 49. DB B would then send -3 to the
                  server, resulting in 46 on the server, and it would also get +4 from the
                  server, so that from 42 it would also move up to 46. Next time DB A
                  replicates, it would then get the -3 from the server, and every one
                  would have the same value.

                  As an example, here's the text of my procedure:

                  CREATE PROCEDURE RPL$STOCK_MVT
                  (
                  SITE CHAR(1),
                  LIBELLE VARCHAR(100),
                  ARTICLE VARCHAR(10),
                  TYPE_MVT CHAR(1),
                  ENTREE INTEGER,
                  SORTIE INTEGER,
                  DDATE TIMESTAMP,
                  DOCUMENT VARCHAR(20),
                  LOGCODE INTEGER
                  )
                  AS
                  DECLARE VARIABLE PK1_VALUE INTEGER;
                  DECLARE VARIABLE EXEC_PROC_STATEMENT VARCHAR(200);
                  BEGIN
                  PK1_VALUE = GEN_ID(GEN_RPL$STOCK_MVT, 1);
                  EXEC_PROC_STATEMENT = 'EXECUTE PROCEDURE RPL$STOCK_MVT(' || '''' ||
                  :SITE || '''' || ', ' || '''' || :LIBELLE || '''' || ', ' || '''' ||
                  :ARTICLE || '''' || ', ' || '''' || :TYPE_MVT || '''' || ', ' || :ENTREE
                  || ', ' || :SORTIE || ', ' || '''' || :DDATE || '''' || ', ' || '''' ||
                  :DOCUMENT || '''' || ', ' || :LOGCODE || ')';
                  EXECUTE PROCEDURE STOCK_MVT(:SITE, :LIBELLE, :ARTICLE, :TYPE_MVT,
                  :ENTREE, :SORTIE, :DDATE, :DOCUMENT, :LOGCODE);
                  EXECUTE PROCEDURE RPL$GENERATE_LOG ('STOCK_MVT', null, :PK1_VALUE,
                  null, null, null,
                  null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null,
                  null, 2250, EXEC_PROC_STATEMENT);
                  END

                  Another difference is that I handle synchronizing column values that are
                  attributed automatically (either through a generator or through a stored
                  procedure). That is, I provide a generator or stored procedure that I
                  should use to get the values. Then, on the client side, these fields get
                  temporary values. When the record gets replicated to the main server,
                  the column values get updated to be synchronous with the server (I get
                  the generator value from the server, and update it locally). I then go
                  on with the replication.

                  This is good for values that are attributed automatically, and need to
                  be synchronized. However, I found another solution to this same problem
                  for the case of detail tables that depend on some other master table.
                  For example, I have an invoice table, and another table (called
                  FACTURES_CORPS) with all the invoice lines. The FACTURES_CORPS table has
                  a field (called FACTURE) that references the main (FACTURES) table. The
                  primary key of this table is governed by a generator, and is never seen
                  by the end user. For cases like this, I made another solution. I choose
                  a field (in this case, FACTURE), and instead of replicating each line of
                  an invoice individually, I delete all the lines having a certain value
                  of the FACTURE field, and then reinsert them all. Whilst I reinsert
                  them, I take the primary key value on the fly from the generator of the
                  server, and don't update it locally. So every time one line in the
                  invoice is updated, they all get deleted and reinserted. This is a
                  perfect solution for this sort of situation, because it's simpler and
                  less time-consuming than updating it locally. Besides, it avoids the
                  potential problem of the replication being stuck because of trying to
                  update a record which the user is busy modifying.

                  Also, to avoid problems with dependancies, I attributed to each table a
                  priority, so that changes don't get replicated in the order they occured
                  in, but in priority order. This also solved several potential problems.

                  As you can imagine, it could get tedious to code this by hand, so I made
                  a little program to generate the metadata for me. I display a DBGrid,
                  with the list of my procedures, and I simply select the one(s) I want to
                  replicate, set the priority, and the rest gets done automatically. I do
                  the same thing for the tables. I can also configure which users I want,
                  and it automatically creates them. Also, I automatically grant
                  everything to PUBLIC, which simplfies things for me. Obviously, this
                  behaviour should probably be changed to grant full rights only to the
                  replicator users, as some people might not want to grant all to PUBLIC! :-)
                  I also use this program to store a lot of configuration information in
                  the registry.

                  A few more details:
                  1) I made it so that the replicator logs everything it does in a memo on
                  the sceen, and if ever something goes wrong, my customer can send me the
                  complete log by email by simply clicking on a button.
                  2) I also handle getting new versions of the application automatically
                  by FTP. I simply have a table in the database to which I add a line
                  every time there is a new version to fetch, telling me which file to
                  take, and which SQL script to take. That way, I can make sure the
                  metadata is synchronized as well.

                  Now for some other considerations.

                  I'm submitting this code to you all as such. I would love to see it
                  become FBReplicator, but I cannot be in charge of organizing it. I'm
                  counting on finding someone else willing and able to adapt this code to
                  his own situation or somebody else's. After all, I've done the hard
                  part, there are just a few little things that should perhaps be
                  straightened out before releasing to the general public.

                  One such thing is 3rd party libraries.
                  There are actually two programs (written in C++Builder 5): Replicator,
                  and Repl_Config. In these programs, I use FIBPlus for database access,
                  Raize (not much) for the interface, EhLib(for the excellent DBGrid), RX
                  and Systools for the Systray, FormState, as well as registry access. I
                  also use Indy for the SMTP and FTP access. The only difficulty would be
                  with FIBPlus, Raize, and EhLib, as the others are free. However, I
                  hardly use Raize at all, so it would be very easy to remove that. The
                  only difficulty in removing EhLib would be that I use a nice feature of
                  the TDBGridEh, which is to import and export itself. However, I think
                  there are some free components that can do the same sort of thing. So
                  the only one that involves a bit of work is FIBPlus. But even that isn't
                  so bad. I think the whole thing is under about 3000 lines of code. I
                  have only 3 forms, and about 30-40 queries (approx.). So this is a bit
                  of work, but it wouldn't involve changing that much code, nor anything
                  structural.

                  The other main thing I can see is the language. All the interface is in
                  French. It shouldn't be too bad, as there isn't an extensive amount of
                  interface, but it would still involve a bit of translating.

                  Also, there's one little limitation, that could perhaps be removed
                  (although I don't see any immediate need to do so), and that is that I
                  only support multi-column primary keys up to 3 columns.

                  These are the only things I can think of that could require a little
                  work before the product is ready to be released.

                  However, as I said, I cannot be counted on to do this work. I made the
                  replicator for my own needs (or rather for my customer's), and I didn't
                  do it during my free time; that's my job. As a result, I can't really
                  afford to maintain an opensource product during what little free time I
                  have; I usually prefer to do other things than programming! :-)

                  So, as I have already said, I'm hoping that someone will take interest,
                  and organize the project. If anyone is interested, please contact me,
                  and I'll send you the source code. If you want to see what the
                  executable's like, I could send you that too.

                  I plan to write an extensive help file, one for the end-user, and one
                  for the programmer, explaining in detail the inner workings of the
                  replicator. This will of course be in French, but it could be translated.

                  Jonathan Neve.
                • Ernesto Cullen
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 16, 2003
                    Hi Jonathan,
                    I am willing to help. I am in the need of such a tool, planning to write
                    my own, but if you have one working why reinvent the wheel? I think is a
                    good idea to have such a tool included with FB or at least, freely
                    available. I'm not a C++ fan, I work mostly in Delphi, but i think the
                    programs can be translated without much work. That way we could have
                    versions of the programs for the two languages. And speaking of languages,
                    my mother tongue is Spanish and I can read/write english so i could do a
                    translation to those languages.
                    I really have no experience in managing projects remotely, but I can try
                    if there is no one else...

                    Ernesto Cullen
                    ecullen@...
                    http://www.infoback.com.ar/buhardilla
                    Paraná, Entre Ríos
                    Argentina

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 16, 2003
                      Ernesto Cullen wrote:

                      >Hi Jonathan,
                      > I am willing to help.

                      Excellent!

                      >I am in the need of such a tool, planning to write
                      >my own, but if you have one working why reinvent the wheel? I think is a
                      >good idea to have such a tool included with FB or at least, freely
                      >available. I'm not a C++ fan, I work mostly in Delphi, but i think the
                      >programs can be translated without much work.

                      Yes, this might be a good idea, there seem to be far more people working
                      with Delphi than C++Builder. I agree that it shouldn't be very hard to
                      translate, as I didn't do anything fancy, just simple C++. Even I could
                      almost translate it into Pascal! But aren't there automatic C++ to
                      Pascal converters to handle the bulk of the code?

                      >That way we could have
                      >versions of the programs for the two languages. And speaking of languages,
                      >my mother tongue is Spanish and I can read/write english so i could do a
                      >translation to those languages.
                      > I really have no experience in managing projects remotely, but I can try
                      >if there is no one else...

                      Good. If the project were converted to Delphi, I think Gary Benner (the
                      first person who responded to my post), as well as others perhaps, would
                      be interested in helping.

                      So now my question is, where should I put the sources?

                      BTW, I was wondering if perhaps this should get posted to
                      Firebird-devel, as it's closer to developpement than support....?

                      Thanks!

                      Jonathan Neve.
                    • jini us
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                        Hi,

                        I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
                        Environment.

                        Preferably one that is fully loaded
                        with features which include
                        - develop windows application.
                        - Target is Microsoft Windows
                        - With a installshield like packager.

                      • Lester Caine
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                          > I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
                          > Environment.

                          And a few chicken teeth at the same time?

                          > Preferably one that is fully loaded
                          > with features which include
                          > - develop windows application.
                          > - Target is Microsoft Windows
                          > - With a installshield like packager.

                          Eclipse falls at the first hurdle, because while it runs
                          quite happily in windows, the completion of windows
                          applications is still weak.
                          It is still worth a look at though, as the CDT add on
                          provides a very nice C++ IDE, and Eclipse itself provides a
                          lot more besides.
                          http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/
                          I've only output a simple C++ job to Linux - I'm using it
                          for PHP development at present :)

                          --
                          Lester Caine
                          -----------------------------
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                            Dear,

                            On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:16:40 +0000 (GMT),
                            jini us wrote :

                            > I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
                            > Environment.
                            >
                            > Preferably one that is fully loaded
                            > with features which include
                            > - develop windows application.
                            > - Target is Microsoft Windows
                            > - With a installshield like packager.

                            Look at Borland C++ BuilderX, not to be confused with C++ Builder 6.
                            Not the best, but there is a free personal version.
                            It can use multiple compilers, including MingW GCC and Borland free
                            compiler.

                            Not sure if there is some install tool included though.
                            But InnoSetup is a real good one.

                            --
                            Best Regards,
                            Olivier Mascia
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                              If you still looking try Dev-CPP from Bloodshed
                              here is there URL : http://www.bloodshed.net/

                              Good luck

                              At 08:16 17/11/2003 +0000, you wrote:

                              >Hi,
                              >
                              >I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
                              >Environment.
                              >
                              >Preferably one that is fully loaded
                              >with features which include
                              >- develop windows application.
                              >- Target is Microsoft Windows
                              >- With a installshield like packager.

                              >---
                              >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                            • Henrik Sitter
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                                Hum.

                                This is probably off track, but it might save you hours of coding
                                time... Until recently I used c++ for almost every app I have written,
                                but writing GUI using c++ apis like FLTK and FOX Toolkit takes a lot of
                                time and can really be a pain in the a..

                                So I looked for alternatives to be more productive, where I could write
                                GUI (and other things also ofc) in another language, and then use c++
                                for critical sections in my code. It brought me into the world of
                                python, and I don't know if you have ever used it, but if not you really
                                should :)

                                So you might want to look up python, wxPython and Boa Constructor. It is
                                all open source and free. Python is the programming language, wxPython
                                is a GUI toolkit for python and Boa Constructor is an IDE. For mixing
                                python with c++ you could look up boost.python.

                                Henrik.

                                I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
                                Environment.

                                Preferably one that is fully loaded
                                with features which include
                                - develop windows application.
                                - Target is Microsoft Windows
                                - With a installshield like packager.

                                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                              • Milan Babuskov
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                                  Jonathan Neve wrote:
                                  > So now my question is, where should I put the sources?

                                  If it's going to be a separate project, and under constant development,
                                  you can place it on sourceforge... I have two projects of my own there,
                                  and I'm satisfied (except for some site outages every now and then). If
                                  you need help setting it up, just ask.

                                  --
                                  Milan Babuskov
                                  http://fbexport.sourceforge.net
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                                    Milan Babuskov wrote:

                                    >Jonathan Neve wrote:
                                    >

                                    >>So now my question is, where should I put the sources?
                                    >>

                                    >If it's going to be a separate project, and under constant development,
                                    >you can place it on sourceforge...

                                    Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
                                    the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
                                    sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
                                    anyone's interrested, they can get it there.

                                    >I have two projects of my own there,
                                    >and I'm satisfied (except for some site outages every now and then). If
                                    >you need help setting it up, just ask.

                                    Ok, thanks!

                                    Jonathan Neve.

                                  • Milan Babuskov
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
                                      Jonathan Neve wrote:
                                      > Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
                                      > the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
                                      > sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
                                      > anyone's interrested, they can get it there.

                                      I don't think that would happen. One reason is that IB Phoenix has
                                      bought rights for IB-Replicator (I'm not sure what's the exact name),
                                      and they are developing it. Many IB Phoenix members are also members of
                                      Firebird core team, and I don't think they would like to have 2 projects
                                      of the same kind on their hands.

                                      Other reason is that other people have to test your replicator, and
                                      report that it is good, before anything is done.

                                      Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
                                      replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
                                      platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
                                      something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
                                      show-stopper.

                                      Setting up the sourceforge project is IMHO the best idea. You will see
                                      how many people are actually interested, and others can contribute to
                                      the code (and perhaps make a Linux version ;)

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
                                        Milan Babuskov wrote:

                                        >Jonathan Neve wrote:
                                        >

                                        >>Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
                                        >>the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
                                        >>sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
                                        >>anyone's interrested, they can get it there.
                                        >>

                                        >I don't think that would happen. One reason is that IB Phoenix has
                                        >bought rights for IB-Replicator (I'm not sure what's the exact name),
                                        >and they are developing it. Many IB Phoenix members are also members of
                                        >Firebird core team, and I don't think they would like to have 2 projects
                                        >of the same kind on their hands.

                                        I see.

                                        >Other reason is that other people have to test your replicator, and
                                        >report that it is good, before anything is done.

                                        Sure.

                                        >Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
                                        >replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
                                        >platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
                                        >something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
                                        >show-stopper.

                                        No. My servers run Linux as well!
                                        I simply have one program on the Windows client that replicates both
                                        ways. There's nothing on the server, other than triggers of course.

                                        >Setting up the sourceforge project is IMHO the best idea. You will see
                                        >how many people are actually interested, and others can contribute to
                                        >the code (and perhaps make a Linux version ;)

                                        I'll do that.

                                        Thanks!

                                        Jonathan Neve.

                                      • Milan Babuskov
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
                                          Jonathan Neve wrote:
                                          >>Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
                                          >>replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
                                          >>platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
                                          >>something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
                                          >>show-stopper.
                                          >>

                                          > No. My servers run Linux as well!
                                          > I simply have one program on the Windows client that replicates both
                                          > ways. There's nothing on the server, other than triggers of course.

                                          Actually, what I forgot to write. The customer that needs replication
                                          has Linux-only environment. We'll see if replication is worth adding one
                                          Windows workstation at both sites they have. Probably not. When you
                                          place your code on sourceforge, I'll probably examine how it works, so I
                                          can make Linux port of it or something similar...