FBReplicator...?

  • Jonathan Neve
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 30, 2003
      Hi!

      I'm in the process of writing a replicator for IB. It's nearly finished.
      Our company does specific application development for companies, but we
      don't sell software for developpers at all, nor do we have any intention
      to expand in this way. So I was thinking of perhaps releasing my
      replicator as OpenSource. [Please note that I haven't made a final
      decision yet!] As is to be expected, it's not quite as complete as
      IBReplicator, but it is going to be rather complete, and will include
      some powerful features that IBReplicator doesn't have. The reason for
      this is that I'm doing this development with, of course, one particular
      database in mind, and this database is very complex. I have triggers all
      over the place, updating other tables, I have many procedures, there are
      a few tables that I can't replicate at all due to certain problems it
      would pose, and so I instead replicate certain chosen procedures, etc.
      Overall, it will be much simpler, but nearly as powerful as
      IBReplicator. There are a few limitations (for example, I don't support
      primary keys with more than 3 columns), but I think most of them should
      be easy to remove if the need was to arise.

      I myself would find it very difficult (time-wise) to maintain an
      OpenSource project of this sort, so I was thinking of simply putting it
      into the hands of the FireBird community, and letting them distribute it
      as part of FireBird.

      So my question is simply this : is there any demand for this sort of thing?

      Thanks!

      Jonathan Neve.
    • Jaume Sabater
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
        Quoting Jonathan Neve <jonathan@...>:

        > So my question is simply this : is there any demand for this sort of thing?

        There will always be. ;-)
        Congrats for your decission (in case it finally turns in what you have
        announced).

        --
        Jaume Andreu Sabater Malondra
        jsabater@...

        "Ubi sapientas ibi libertas"
      • Diego - DM2
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
          Hi Jonathan,

          It's very good you wanting to "donate" your project to the open source
          community, and yes, there is a demand for that, because any large company
          needs replication of data! In my projects, for example, I tryed a lot of
          replicators and made the decision for one that is freeware, bu if i could
          choose one opensource too, it would be better.

          Diego Menin
          DBA - DM2/Brasil
          icq : 86406546
          www.cartonline.com.br

          > I'm in the process of writing a replicator for IB. It's nearly finished.
          > Our company does specific application development for companies, but we
          > don't sell software for developpers at all, nor do we have any intention
          > to expand in this way. So I was thinking of perhaps releasing my
          > replicator as OpenSource. [Please note that I haven't made a final
          > decision yet!] As is to be expected, it's not quite as complete as
          > IBReplicator, but it is going to be rather complete, and will include
          > some powerful features that IBReplicator doesn't have. The reason for
          > this is that I'm doing this development with, of course, one particular
          > database in mind, and this database is very complex. I have triggers all
          > over the place, updating other tables, I have many procedures, there are
          > a few tables that I can't replicate at all due to certain problems it
          > would pose, and so I instead replicate certain chosen procedures, etc.
          > Overall, it will be much simpler, but nearly as powerful as
          > IBReplicator. There are a few limitations (for example, I don't support
          > primary keys with more than 3 columns), but I think most of them should
          > be easy to remove if the need was to arise.
          >
          > I myself would find it very difficult (time-wise) to maintain an
          > OpenSource project of this sort, so I was thinking of simply putting it
          > into the hands of the FireBird community, and letting them distribute it
          > as part of FireBird.
          >
          > So my question is simply this : is there any demand for this sort of
          thing?

          > Thanks!
          >
          > Jonathan Neve.

        • Pierre Y.
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
            > So my question is simply this : is there any demand for this sort of
            > thing?

            Yes, I'm interresed in too. I didn't find any convenient replicator for my project.

            Regards,

            Pierre Y.
          • Burak OZLER
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
              +1
              > So my question is simply this : is there any demand for this sort of
              > thing?

              Yes, I'm interresed in too. I didn't find any convenient replicator for my project.

              Regards,

              Pierre Y.

              Bilinen virusler icin taramasi yapildi. Scanned for known viruses.

              Bilinen virusler icin taramasi yapildi. Scanned for known viruses.
            • Claus
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
                +1 +1 .... another one ....

                Go ahead ...

                --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Burak OZLER"

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
                  Thanks all for your replies,

                  FYI, I'm writing it in C++Builder, using FIBPlus and IB6.0.
                  As far as I know, I don't think I've done anything that wouldn't work
                  using FireBird, but I haven't tested.

                  Thanks for your interrest,
                  Jonathan Neve.
                • Dimitry Sibiryakov
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
                    On 1 Oct 2003 at 21:57, Jonathan Neve wrote:

                    >FYI, I'm writing it in C++Builder, using FIBPlus and IB6.0.

                    That's not good. Open-source project based on commercial
                    components... After publishing one of the first-priority tasks should
                    be rewriting it, using UIB or API, IMHO.

                    SY, Dimitry Sibiryakov.
                  • Jonathan Neve
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 15, 2003
                      Hi all!

                      I wrote a while ago to say that I was writing a replicator for IB/FB,
                      that I would be glad to contribute to the FireBird community. Wouldn't
                      it be nice for FireBird to be bundled with a good replicator, like
                      Interbase? I know there are several commercial replicators available,
                      other than IBReplicator, as well as one freeware replicator. However,
                      that replicator is only one-way. This could be useful, but, in many
                      circustances, it wouldn't be good enough. So that's why I thought I
                      could perhaps give you the replicator I wrote, because I would have been
                      quite glad if I had been able to find such a replicator a few months ago
                      before I started!

                      My replicator includes quite a few features that aren't present in
                      IBReplicator at all. This is because I had a created an database
                      application, and a database, without replication in mind at all. With a
                      bit of hindsight, I think I have put too much intelligence in the
                      database (mostly triggers), which often causes difficulties, and
                      certainly made replicating much harder, as triggers have a nasty
                      tendancy of firing at you when you're not expecting it! :-)

                      Too get around the many problems I came across, I had to implement some
                      rather advanced features that I've never seen in any other replicator
                      (perhaps they do exist somewhere, I've just never seen it).

                      So here is a brief description of how it works:

                      The situation this replicator was designed for was that I had one main
                      database, which all the clients were connected to through internet. To
                      make things faster, I have made so that now each client is to have their
                      own copy of the database, and all changes made to one get replicated to
                      the other, and vice-versa. I'm explaining this, just to say that as
                      things are at present, there has to be a direct connection to the main
                      database server in order to be able to synchronize changes. You can't
                      simply drop off the changes on some server, for the other clients to
                      then come and pick them up. I don't think it would be very difficult to
                      add this functionnality to the existing replicator, but as I have no
                      need of it, I didn't do it.

                      This is tied in with another aspect of the replicator, which is that it
                      requires no software on the server side. This was important for me, as
                      my database server runs under Linux.

                      So on each client machine there is a replicator, and on the server,
                      there is nothing special. Periodically, the replicator kicks in and
                      replicates all changes, first from the client to the server, then from
                      the server to the client. Both server and client can be used as local
                      database servers (such is my case).

                      So in each database, there are three triggers per replicated table (you
                      can configure which ones you want to replicate). These triggers insert
                      into a log table one line per event and per user, the users being listed
                      in another table. When the replicator then connects, it takes only such
                      records as concern the client machine it's running on, and then deletes
                      them.

                      So far, I think this is basicly how all replicators work. Here now are a
                      few specific features of mine.

                      One is replicating procedures. This sort of thing shouldn't usually be
                      necessary, but I implemented it in order to get out of a difficult
                      situation, and it might be useful also for someone else. The problem was
                      that I have a table in my database called STOCK. This table contains one
                      line per product and per sales-point, and a quantity field indicating
                      the number of these products in stock at the present time. To avoid
                      problems, I do all updates to this table through a dedicated procedure
                      called STOCK_MVT, to which I pass as a parameter the number of products
                      to add to/subtract from the stock. If I simply replicate this table,
                      what will happen? Suppose in databases A and B, a certain product had
                      value 45. Suppose 4 of this product are then added to the stock in
                      database A, and 3 are subtracted in database B. DB A will end up with
                      quantity 49 and DB B will end up with 42. Suppose DB A replicates at
                      this point. The value from DB A will get sent to the server, so the
                      server will have a value of 49. Then DB B replicates. So either the
                      server gets the value from DB B (42), or DB B gets the server's value
                      (49), but either way, both are wrong. The correct quantity is obviously
                      46. Yet none of the three databases would have this value!

                      So this is unacceptable. Instead, I now replicate my stored procedure
                      call. In other words, I created another procedure that calls my stored
                      procedure, and also logs the call in the replication log, with the exact
                      SQL statement that was executed. That way, the replicator simple reads
                      the "EXECUTE PROCEDURE" statement, and executes it. This solved my
                      problem, because now instead of sending the value to the server, each
                      database merely sends its change (+4 or -3). So now DB A would send +4
                      to the server, resulting in value 49. DB B would then send -3 to the
                      server, resulting in 46 on the server, and it would also get +4 from the
                      server, so that from 42 it would also move up to 46. Next time DB A
                      replicates, it would then get the -3 from the server, and every one
                      would have the same value.

                      As an example, here's the text of my procedure:

                      CREATE PROCEDURE RPL$STOCK_MVT
                      (
                      SITE CHAR(1),
                      LIBELLE VARCHAR(100),
                      ARTICLE VARCHAR(10),
                      TYPE_MVT CHAR(1),
                      ENTREE INTEGER,
                      SORTIE INTEGER,
                      DDATE TIMESTAMP,
                      DOCUMENT VARCHAR(20),
                      LOGCODE INTEGER
                      )
                      AS
                      DECLARE VARIABLE PK1_VALUE INTEGER;
                      DECLARE VARIABLE EXEC_PROC_STATEMENT VARCHAR(200);
                      BEGIN
                      PK1_VALUE = GEN_ID(GEN_RPL$STOCK_MVT, 1);
                      EXEC_PROC_STATEMENT = 'EXECUTE PROCEDURE RPL$STOCK_MVT(' || '''' ||
                      :SITE || '''' || ', ' || '''' || :LIBELLE || '''' || ', ' || '''' ||
                      :ARTICLE || '''' || ', ' || '''' || :TYPE_MVT || '''' || ', ' || :ENTREE
                      || ', ' || :SORTIE || ', ' || '''' || :DDATE || '''' || ', ' || '''' ||
                      :DOCUMENT || '''' || ', ' || :LOGCODE || ')';
                      EXECUTE PROCEDURE STOCK_MVT(:SITE, :LIBELLE, :ARTICLE, :TYPE_MVT,
                      :ENTREE, :SORTIE, :DDATE, :DOCUMENT, :LOGCODE);
                      EXECUTE PROCEDURE RPL$GENERATE_LOG ('STOCK_MVT', null, :PK1_VALUE,
                      null, null, null,
                      null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null,
                      null, 2250, EXEC_PROC_STATEMENT);
                      END

                      Another difference is that I handle synchronizing column values that are
                      attributed automatically (either through a generator or through a stored
                      procedure). That is, I provide a generator or stored procedure that I
                      should use to get the values. Then, on the client side, these fields get
                      temporary values. When the record gets replicated to the main server,
                      the column values get updated to be synchronous with the server (I get
                      the generator value from the server, and update it locally). I then go
                      on with the replication.

                      This is good for values that are attributed automatically, and need to
                      be synchronized. However, I found another solution to this same problem
                      for the case of detail tables that depend on some other master table.
                      For example, I have an invoice table, and another table (called
                      FACTURES_CORPS) with all the invoice lines. The FACTURES_CORPS table has
                      a field (called FACTURE) that references the main (FACTURES) table. The
                      primary key of this table is governed by a generator, and is never seen
                      by the end user. For cases like this, I made another solution. I choose
                      a field (in this case, FACTURE), and instead of replicating each line of
                      an invoice individually, I delete all the lines having a certain value
                      of the FACTURE field, and then reinsert them all. Whilst I reinsert
                      them, I take the primary key value on the fly from the generator of the
                      server, and don't update it locally. So every time one line in the
                      invoice is updated, they all get deleted and reinserted. This is a
                      perfect solution for this sort of situation, because it's simpler and
                      less time-consuming than updating it locally. Besides, it avoids the
                      potential problem of the replication being stuck because of trying to
                      update a record which the user is busy modifying.

                      Also, to avoid problems with dependancies, I attributed to each table a
                      priority, so that changes don't get replicated in the order they occured
                      in, but in priority order. This also solved several potential problems.

                      As you can imagine, it could get tedious to code this by hand, so I made
                      a little program to generate the metadata for me. I display a DBGrid,
                      with the list of my procedures, and I simply select the one(s) I want to
                      replicate, set the priority, and the rest gets done automatically. I do
                      the same thing for the tables. I can also configure which users I want,
                      and it automatically creates them. Also, I automatically grant
                      everything to PUBLIC, which simplfies things for me. Obviously, this
                      behaviour should probably be changed to grant full rights only to the
                      replicator users, as some people might not want to grant all to PUBLIC! :-)
                      I also use this program to store a lot of configuration information in
                      the registry.

                      A few more details:
                      1) I made it so that the replicator logs everything it does in a memo on
                      the sceen, and if ever something goes wrong, my customer can send me the
                      complete log by email by simply clicking on a button.
                      2) I also handle getting new versions of the application automatically
                      by FTP. I simply have a table in the database to which I add a line
                      every time there is a new version to fetch, telling me which file to
                      take, and which SQL script to take. That way, I can make sure the
                      metadata is synchronized as well.

                      Now for some other considerations.

                      I'm submitting this code to you all as such. I would love to see it
                      become FBReplicator, but I cannot be in charge of organizing it. I'm
                      counting on finding someone else willing and able to adapt this code to
                      his own situation or somebody else's. After all, I've done the hard
                      part, there are just a few little things that should perhaps be
                      straightened out before releasing to the general public.

                      One such thing is 3rd party libraries.
                      There are actually two programs (written in C++Builder 5): Replicator,
                      and Repl_Config. In these programs, I use FIBPlus for database access,
                      Raize (not much) for the interface, EhLib(for the excellent DBGrid), RX
                      and Systools for the Systray, FormState, as well as registry access. I
                      also use Indy for the SMTP and FTP access. The only difficulty would be
                      with FIBPlus, Raize, and EhLib, as the others are free. However, I
                      hardly use Raize at all, so it would be very easy to remove that. The
                      only difficulty in removing EhLib would be that I use a nice feature of
                      the TDBGridEh, which is to import and export itself. However, I think
                      there are some free components that can do the same sort of thing. So
                      the only one that involves a bit of work is FIBPlus. But even that isn't
                      so bad. I think the whole thing is under about 3000 lines of code. I
                      have only 3 forms, and about 30-40 queries (approx.). So this is a bit
                      of work, but it wouldn't involve changing that much code, nor anything
                      structural.

                      The other main thing I can see is the language. All the interface is in
                      French. It shouldn't be too bad, as there isn't an extensive amount of
                      interface, but it would still involve a bit of translating.

                      Also, there's one little limitation, that could perhaps be removed
                      (although I don't see any immediate need to do so), and that is that I
                      only support multi-column primary keys up to 3 columns.

                      These are the only things I can think of that could require a little
                      work before the product is ready to be released.

                      However, as I said, I cannot be counted on to do this work. I made the
                      replicator for my own needs (or rather for my customer's), and I didn't
                      do it during my free time; that's my job. As a result, I can't really
                      afford to maintain an opensource product during what little free time I
                      have; I usually prefer to do other things than programming! :-)

                      So, as I have already said, I'm hoping that someone will take interest,
                      and organize the project. If anyone is interested, please contact me,
                      and I'll send you the source code. If you want to see what the
                      executable's like, I could send you that too.

                      I plan to write an extensive help file, one for the end-user, and one
                      for the programmer, explaining in detail the inner workings of the
                      replicator. This will of course be in French, but it could be translated.

                      Jonathan Neve.
                    • Ernesto Cullen
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 16, 2003
                        Hi Jonathan,
                        I am willing to help. I am in the need of such a tool, planning to write
                        my own, but if you have one working why reinvent the wheel? I think is a
                        good idea to have such a tool included with FB or at least, freely
                        available. I'm not a C++ fan, I work mostly in Delphi, but i think the
                        programs can be translated without much work. That way we could have
                        versions of the programs for the two languages. And speaking of languages,
                        my mother tongue is Spanish and I can read/write english so i could do a
                        translation to those languages.
                        I really have no experience in managing projects remotely, but I can try
                        if there is no one else...

                        Ernesto Cullen
                        ecullen@...
                        http://www.infoback.com.ar/buhardilla
                        Paraná, Entre Ríos
                        Argentina

                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 16, 2003
                          Ernesto Cullen wrote:

                          >Hi Jonathan,
                          > I am willing to help.

                          Excellent!

                          >I am in the need of such a tool, planning to write
                          >my own, but if you have one working why reinvent the wheel? I think is a
                          >good idea to have such a tool included with FB or at least, freely
                          >available. I'm not a C++ fan, I work mostly in Delphi, but i think the
                          >programs can be translated without much work.

                          Yes, this might be a good idea, there seem to be far more people working
                          with Delphi than C++Builder. I agree that it shouldn't be very hard to
                          translate, as I didn't do anything fancy, just simple C++. Even I could
                          almost translate it into Pascal! But aren't there automatic C++ to
                          Pascal converters to handle the bulk of the code?

                          >That way we could have
                          >versions of the programs for the two languages. And speaking of languages,
                          >my mother tongue is Spanish and I can read/write english so i could do a
                          >translation to those languages.
                          > I really have no experience in managing projects remotely, but I can try
                          >if there is no one else...

                          Good. If the project were converted to Delphi, I think Gary Benner (the
                          first person who responded to my post), as well as others perhaps, would
                          be interested in helping.

                          So now my question is, where should I put the sources?

                          BTW, I was wondering if perhaps this should get posted to
                          Firebird-devel, as it's closer to developpement than support....?

                          Thanks!

                          Jonathan Neve.
                        • jini us
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                            Hi,

                            I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
                            Environment.

                            Preferably one that is fully loaded
                            with features which include
                            - develop windows application.
                            - Target is Microsoft Windows
                            - With a installshield like packager.

                          • Lester Caine
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                              > I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
                              > Environment.

                              And a few chicken teeth at the same time?

                              > Preferably one that is fully loaded
                              > with features which include
                              > - develop windows application.
                              > - Target is Microsoft Windows
                              > - With a installshield like packager.

                              Eclipse falls at the first hurdle, because while it runs
                              quite happily in windows, the completion of windows
                              applications is still weak.
                              It is still worth a look at though, as the CDT add on
                              provides a very nice C++ IDE, and Eclipse itself provides a
                              lot more besides.
                              http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/
                              I've only output a simple C++ job to Linux - I'm using it
                              for PHP development at present :)

                              --
                              Lester Caine
                              -----------------------------
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                                Dear,

                                On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:16:40 +0000 (GMT),
                                jini us wrote :

                                > I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
                                > Environment.
                                >
                                > Preferably one that is fully loaded
                                > with features which include
                                > - develop windows application.
                                > - Target is Microsoft Windows
                                > - With a installshield like packager.

                                Look at Borland C++ BuilderX, not to be confused with C++ Builder 6.
                                Not the best, but there is a free personal version.
                                It can use multiple compilers, including MingW GCC and Borland free
                                compiler.

                                Not sure if there is some install tool included though.
                                But InnoSetup is a real good one.

                                --
                                Best Regards,
                                Olivier Mascia
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                                  If you still looking try Dev-CPP from Bloodshed
                                  here is there URL : http://www.bloodshed.net/

                                  Good luck

                                  At 08:16 17/11/2003 +0000, you wrote:

                                  >Hi,
                                  >
                                  >I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
                                  >Environment.
                                  >
                                  >Preferably one that is fully loaded
                                  >with features which include
                                  >- develop windows application.
                                  >- Target is Microsoft Windows
                                  >- With a installshield like packager.

                                  >---
                                  >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                                • Henrik Sitter
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                                    Hum.

                                    This is probably off track, but it might save you hours of coding
                                    time... Until recently I used c++ for almost every app I have written,
                                    but writing GUI using c++ apis like FLTK and FOX Toolkit takes a lot of
                                    time and can really be a pain in the a..

                                    So I looked for alternatives to be more productive, where I could write
                                    GUI (and other things also ofc) in another language, and then use c++
                                    for critical sections in my code. It brought me into the world of
                                    python, and I don't know if you have ever used it, but if not you really
                                    should :)

                                    So you might want to look up python, wxPython and Boa Constructor. It is
                                    all open source and free. Python is the programming language, wxPython
                                    is a GUI toolkit for python and Boa Constructor is an IDE. For mixing
                                    python with c++ you could look up boost.python.

                                    Henrik.

                                    I am looking for a FREE C++ Integrated Development
                                    Environment.

                                    Preferably one that is fully loaded
                                    with features which include
                                    - develop windows application.
                                    - Target is Microsoft Windows
                                    - With a installshield like packager.

                                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                  • Milan Babuskov
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                                      Jonathan Neve wrote:
                                      > So now my question is, where should I put the sources?

                                      If it's going to be a separate project, and under constant development,
                                      you can place it on sourceforge... I have two projects of my own there,
                                      and I'm satisfied (except for some site outages every now and then). If
                                      you need help setting it up, just ask.

                                      --
                                      Milan Babuskov
                                      http://fbexport.sourceforge.net
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 17, 2003
                                        Milan Babuskov wrote:

                                        >Jonathan Neve wrote:
                                        >

                                        >>So now my question is, where should I put the sources?
                                        >>

                                        >If it's going to be a separate project, and under constant development,
                                        >you can place it on sourceforge...

                                        Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
                                        the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
                                        sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
                                        anyone's interrested, they can get it there.

                                        >I have two projects of my own there,
                                        >and I'm satisfied (except for some site outages every now and then). If
                                        >you need help setting it up, just ask.

                                        Ok, thanks!

                                        Jonathan Neve.

                                      • Milan Babuskov
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
                                          Jonathan Neve wrote:
                                          > Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
                                          > the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
                                          > sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
                                          > anyone's interrested, they can get it there.

                                          I don't think that would happen. One reason is that IB Phoenix has
                                          bought rights for IB-Replicator (I'm not sure what's the exact name),
                                          and they are developing it. Many IB Phoenix members are also members of
                                          Firebird core team, and I don't think they would like to have 2 projects
                                          of the same kind on their hands.

                                          Other reason is that other people have to test your replicator, and
                                          report that it is good, before anything is done.

                                          Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
                                          replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
                                          platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
                                          something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
                                          show-stopper.

                                          Setting up the sourceforge project is IMHO the best idea. You will see
                                          how many people are actually interested, and others can contribute to
                                          the code (and perhaps make a Linux version ;)

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
                                            Milan Babuskov wrote:

                                            >Jonathan Neve wrote:
                                            >

                                            >>Well, I was hoping someone would take interrest, and integrate it into
                                            >>the FireBird distribution (because that's what seems to make the most
                                            >>sense). But I guess I might as well put it on SourceForge instead. In
                                            >>anyone's interrested, they can get it there.
                                            >>

                                            >I don't think that would happen. One reason is that IB Phoenix has
                                            >bought rights for IB-Replicator (I'm not sure what's the exact name),
                                            >and they are developing it. Many IB Phoenix members are also members of
                                            >Firebird core team, and I don't think they would like to have 2 projects
                                            >of the same kind on their hands.

                                            I see.

                                            >Other reason is that other people have to test your replicator, and
                                            >report that it is good, before anything is done.

                                            Sure.

                                            >Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
                                            >replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
                                            >platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
                                            >something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
                                            >show-stopper.

                                            No. My servers run Linux as well!
                                            I simply have one program on the Windows client that replicates both
                                            ways. There's nothing on the server, other than triggers of course.

                                            >Setting up the sourceforge project is IMHO the best idea. You will see
                                            >how many people are actually interested, and others can contribute to
                                            >the code (and perhaps make a Linux version ;)

                                            I'll do that.

                                            Thanks!

                                            Jonathan Neve.

                                          • Milan Babuskov
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 18, 2003
                                              Jonathan Neve wrote:
                                              >>Third reason would be the platform. As far as I understood your
                                              >>replicator is Windows-only. Firebird is supported by many more
                                              >>platforms. I would test your replicator right now, since I need
                                              >>something like that currently, but I run all servers on Linux... so it a
                                              >>show-stopper.
                                              >>

                                              > No. My servers run Linux as well!
                                              > I simply have one program on the Windows client that replicates both
                                              > ways. There's nothing on the server, other than triggers of course.

                                              Actually, what I forgot to write. The customer that needs replication
                                              has Linux-only environment. We'll see if replication is worth adding one
                                              Windows workstation at both sites they have. Probably not. When you
                                              place your code on sourceforge, I'll probably examine how it works, so I
                                              can make Linux port of it or something similar...