Keep that OAT moving

  • GOVINDKRISHNA
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 12:28 AM
      Hi List,

      After seeing some of the recent posts in the list. I realise "I dont know
      nothing".

      The burning issue right now is the correct way to retrieve data and make sure
      that the OAT doesnt get stuck.

      I will describe my app (It is a mail cum discussion forum app). It is an MDI
      app. There is mail window. There is a discussion forum window.

      I need a TDataset (I am using a TDataset compatible grid for various reasons)
      for each of these screens. This is a display only dataset. User may request a
      refresh or there may be a timer based or event based refresh of this screen.

      There is a another screen which allows the user to open an particular record to
      see all the details. I would like to bind this to the same dataset so that the
      user can scroll with next and previous seeing all the details.

      There is another screen which basically has to insert data into the database. (
      TDataSet components again)

      Would be grateful if somebody would give me some kind of skeleton for
      retrieving and updating data appropriately for this. The emphasis is on what
      needs to be done to make sure that OAT is not getting stuck and it is the
      fastest way to do thing.

      Thanks

      gk
    • Richard Pendered
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1 12:57 AM
        A simple way would be to have a transaction for each open TDataset, then
        when refreshing Commit and restart the transaction affected by the refresh.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5 6:31 AM
          Richard,

          Thank you for the reply. Sorry I did not see this till today
          I am writing down what I have understood from you comment. Is this what you meant.

          Currently we are refreshing the transactions like this

          I have 2 Tdatasets opened with one TIBOTransaction object <tran> and
          On a timer event i have the following statement.
          tran.refresh(false);

          You are saying as a first step that this should change to
          tran.Commit;
          tran.StartTrasaction;
          Re-Open all the Tdatasets opened with this transaction
          Suppose my timer is firing once every 5 minutes, does this mean OAT is stuck for 5 minutes

          Alternatively will this be better
          tran.StartTransaction;
          TDataSet.open;
          tran.commit;