Re: [ib-support] Inserting BLOBs with ODBC

  • Didier
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2003
      lportersr wrote:
      > I am currently working on a Windows-based project that will use ODBC
      > to connect to a database. I will be storing images (about 66k) and am
      > wondering how this can be done using ODBC.
      >
      > I have some experience with databases, but have never done images. How
      > exactly would you do this?
      Mike,

      I would personnally NOT use a db to store images. I would store path to
      them & save them on your good old hard drive with a calculated set of
      directories. This opinion comes from 10 years bacground in image stock
      libraries, in various european/US companies handling large amounts of
      pictures and NONE have ever been stored in a db.

      Plus points:
      A: db does not grow as fast, keeps it manageable & does not give backup
      & restore headaches.
      B: image handling : easy backups, burned on CD/DVD. if you need batch
      handling (making thumbnails .... easy to do if you're on disk not
      on-database.)
      C: it is not likely to have to update part of an image (it is generally
      a all-or-nothing type of update). I do not see the benefit of using a DB
      engine to store an image
      D: easy to spread the load between an db/application server & image
      delivering server. Scales nicely
      E: downgrades nicely if one image is corrupted, you don't run the risk
      of corrupting the whole db.

      Minus point:
      A: got to remember that under Win$ you probably do not want to have too
      many entries in one single directory.
      B: It can be messy to administer: so very careful planning, depending on
      the number of images you want/need to handle

      HTH
      Didier