Re: 32 or 64bit version of fbclient for a 64bit workstation

  • roger
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
      So are you saying it depends on the client application, rather than the client OS?

      But Delphi apps (always 32bit) run quite happily on my 64bit W7 machine, where both FB server and FB client are 64bit.

      However, we have had trouble on a client site, where a 64bit terminal server acts as a client to a 32bit FB server. 64bit version of fbclient does not seem to work, while 32bit fbclient does.

      Roger Vellacott

      --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Steinmaurer <ts@...> wrote:

      > > If a 64bit workstation connects to a Firebird server running on a 32bit server, can the workstation use the 64bit version of fbclient, or must it use the 32bit version?
      >
      > No.
      >
      > 32-bit or 64-bit client library depends on the Firebird client
      > application. If you have a 32-bit client application, then use the
      > 32-bit Firebird client. If it is a 64-bit client application, then go
      > with the 64-bit Firebird client.

    • Ann Harrison
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
        On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:32 AM, roger <rvellacott@...> wrote:

        > So are you saying it depends on the client application, rather than the
        > client OS

        A 64bit Windows system will run either 64 or 32 bit applications. The
        client/server wire protocol for Firebird is word-size agnostic, at least in
        the word sizes of 32 and 64 bit (don't try it on a PDP-10). Within a
        single executable, things work better if every thing agrees on the default
        size of a word. So, the client library which links to the application
        should use the same word size as the application.

        At least that's my understanding.

        Good luck,

        Ann

      • Lester Caine
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
          roger wrote:
          > However, we have had trouble on a client site, where a 64bit terminal server acts as a client to a 32bit FB server. 64bit version of fbclient does not seem to work, while 32bit fbclient does.

          Do you really mean '64bit terminal server'?
          That can cause other problems when trying to run 'virtual' applications, so it
          may be that the application is not playing well on terminal server framework.

          --
          Lester Caine - G8HFL
          -----------------------------
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
            Lester et al,

            > > However, we have had trouble on a client site, where a 64bit terminal
            > server acts as a client to a 32bit FB server. 64bit version of fbclient does not
            > seem to work, while 32bit fbclient does.
            >
            > Do you really mean '64bit terminal server'?
            > That can cause other problems when trying to run 'virtual' applications, so it
            > may be that the application is not playing well on terminal server framework.

            As others have said, and I will summarize/emphasize;

            - Any client (32 or 64 bit) can talk to any Firebird server (32 or 64 bit).

            - It is 32 / 64 'bitness' (?) of the client application which matters for the purposes of determining the 'bitness' of the Firebird client software must be installed on the client:
            - A 32 bit application must use the 32 bit version of the Firebird client software;
            - A 64 bit application must use the 64 bit version of the Firebird client software.

            - A 32 bit application can be installed on a 32 or 64 bit OS, a 64 bit application can only be installed on a 64 bit OS. This also applies to Terminal Server/Citrix installs (they follow the same rules as any other client install).

            - A 64 bit Firebird server must use 64 bit compiled UDFs.

            Sean