Re: [fireball] Possible Fireball Models

  • geer and herman
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 15, 2000
      I am interested. E-mail privately with more details. Dan Herman.
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 16, 2000
        Hi Ron and Fireball friends. I am interested in one of the models, if
        built. My preference is for 24 inches. Any possibility for making a clear
        canopy in this case instead of the usual blue paint simulated canopy would
        be of interest to me. Does this mean we have four sold now, six to go?--Fred
      • rlg9999
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 16, 2000
          Hi Fred and everyone! By the way, in case I forget later, Merry Christmas
          and Happy Holidays to all. Anyway, yea Fred, so far, I have commitments for
          four. I still want to stress that my main concern is that everyone is happy
          with the accuracy of the finished product. In reguards to the clear canopy,
          I would like that too, but I would be afraid to complicate matters since
          that is out of he norm of what they do and probably are not equipped to
          handle any molding. I suppose if that was a factor that most of us are
          fimiliar with the clear molding products on the market, and could easily
          make to fit after you received the model. I suspect that , if the models are
          finished as nicely as the ones I mentioned earlier, that they would be as
          nice a replica as anything currently offered. I will keep you updated as I
          receive more information. Thanks, Ron
          > Hi Ron and Fireball friends. I am interested in one of the models, if
          > built. My preference is for 24 inches. Any possibility for making a
          clear
          > canopy in this case instead of the usual blue paint simulated canopy would
          > be of interest to me. Does this mean we have four sold now, six to
          go?--Fred

        • Colin Fletcher
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 17, 2000
            I would be interested in one of these.

            Make that - I want one.

            OT - I would love a TB2 as well.

            Colin M. H. A. Fletcher
            Sales Manager
            Client Network Services, Inc. (CNSI)
            4027 Colonel Glenn Hwy
            Suite 400
            Dayton, OH 45431
            937.313.3697 direct phone
            937.427.4272 service & support
            937.427.1858 fax
            www.cns-inc.com

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 17, 2000

              >From: Ron Gilmore [mailto:rlg9999@...]
              >PS- the initial size discussed was around 18"-24" in length. Let me
              >know your thoughts! I'll mark you down for one as well. . . .
              >. . . I have spoke with the
              >mfg. today and they have requested more detailed pictures of the Fireball
              >rocket. I am in the process of sending these and will keep all interested
              >parties advised as to the progress. They have agreed that about 20" would be
              >the approximate size. ( Although I would like it to be larger, but that
              >would add a LOT to the cost.)

              I'd be interested in one too. We should be able to send them some
              *great* scale info - can you use Robin's plans?

              I'm surprised they're quoting $95. Some of those aircraft models are
              over $200.

              Steve
              --

              Steve Rogers
              @Outcome, Austin TX -- ICQ: 46340238 -- AIM: StevRocket
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 17, 2000
                Thanks Colin, I'll mark you down for one as well. I have spoke with the
                mfg. today and they have requested more detailed pictures of the Fireball
                rocket. I am in the process of sending these and will keep all interested
                parties advised as to the progress. They have agreed that about 20" would be
                the approximate size. ( Although I would like it to be larger, but that
                would add a LOT to the cost.) Thanks, Ron
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 17, 2000
                  Well, I guess I will confess to the group that I already own a mahogany
                  Fireball XL5 model. Yes it is true. I have one of only four in the
                  world. I bought it on Ebay from a custom pro builder. I am wondering if
                  this is the same person dealing with Ron. I suppose I will wait until Ron
                  reveals who it is, before I will get in trouble by saying who I bought it from.

                  It is really cool, but I would say not quite as nice as the airplane ones
                  that are mass produced. The main difference is that modeling tape is used
                  for many of the details that could be painted instead: canopy lines, body
                  stripes and so on. It measures 17.25 inches long. A lot of details are
                  really quite fine.

                  Now also on Ebay there was a larger wooden one up once. The modeler put
                  wheeled landing gear on that one, and a clear canopy. This was 33 inches
                  in size.

                  I saved photos of the Ebay listings for my model and the 33-inch one. I
                  have just posted them up now on our Egroups page. So go here to view these
                  wood models:

                  http://www.egroups.com/files/fireball/Fred%27s+Mahogany+Model+Photos/

                  If the link doesn't take you right there, log in, then go to the Fireball
                  group then to Files and open my folder called "Fred's Mahogany Model Photos."

                  This will give you all an idea what a Mahogany model will look like, and
                  maybe Ron can also show these pictures to his builder.

                  Fred
                • rlg9999
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 17, 2000
                    Hi Steve, yes, I have sent them the scale drawings, he has asked for better
                    color shots from different angles to catch as much detail as possible. (I am
                    borrowing a few downloads from your site!) As far as the price, I agree, it
                    seems a little inexpensive, but in line with the other models I have
                    received. The aircraft models detail and size is bigger and better than most
                    I have seen. Please understand that I am "walking" through this process very
                    carefully in order to get my message across to them that I would like the
                    finished product to be fantastic. As stated before, once I get a green
                    light, I will notify all who are interested and let you arrange payment to
                    them directly. Once they receive payment I fully expect it to take around
                    4-6 weeks to start receiving the models. I am still asking for a prototype
                    in advance to make sure everyone would be happy. I don't want anyone angry
                    with me over scale or detail. Thanks, Ron
                    > >PS- the initial size discussed was around 18"-24" in length. Let me
                    > >know your thoughts! I'll mark you down for one as well. . . .
                    > >. . . I have spoke with the
                    > >mfg. today and they have requested more detailed pictures of the Fireball
                    > >rocket. I am in the process of sending these and will keep all interested
                    > >parties advised as to the progress. They have agreed that about 20" would
                    be
                    > >the approximate size. ( Although I would like it to be larger, but that
                    > >would add a LOT to the cost.)
                    >
                    > I'd be interested in one too. We should be able to send them some
                    > *great* scale info - can you use Robin's plans?
                    >
                    > I'm surprised they're quoting $95. Some of those aircraft models are
                    > over $200.
                    >
                    > Steve
                    > --
                    >
                    > Steve Rogers
                    > @Outcome, Austin TX -- ICQ: 46340238 -- AIM: StevRocket

                  • Fred Becker
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 17, 2000
                      This is TOO funny. Ha. Small world. LOL :) I might have deduced this
                      by reading my email history on the Ebay sale. Well, everyone go take a
                      look at the cool model Ron built. In the future, I will post some pictures
                      of nice assembly jobs on the resin Firebal kit also seen on Ebay. Ron, do
                      you know who made the 33-inch model? Or was that you too?

                      Fred
                    • rlg9999
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 17, 2000
                        Hi Fred! The mahogany model you mentioned in your email WAS sold by me
                        sometime ago. That model indeed was one of only 4 made, but those were made
                        in Dallas by myself and friend of mine who is a model fanatic and artist
                        with wood. They are great models but were lacking the intricate detail I
                        wanted as well as VERY time consuming to make. After buying several of the
                        aircraft models from the company mentioned earlier, just out of curiousity,
                        I contacted them to find out if they were interested. So, thats where it
                        stands now. I have search for mfg's before and only found two who were
                        willing to make such a model and they wanted around $800.00 each to make. (I
                        like Fireball but I draw the line at some point!) I hope you have enjoyed
                        the model Fred, glad a true fan has one! Thanks, Ron
                        > Well, I guess I will confess to the group that I already own a mahogany
                        > Fireball XL5 model. Yes it is true. I have one of only four in the
                        > world. I bought it on Ebay from a custom pro builder. I am wondering if
                        > this is the same person dealing with Ron. I suppose I will wait until Ron
                        > reveals who it is, before I will get in trouble by saying who I bought it
                        from.

                        > It is really cool, but I would say not quite as nice as the airplane ones
                        > that are mass produced. The main difference is that modeling tape is used
                        > for many of the details that could be painted instead: canopy lines, body
                        > stripes and so on. It measures 17.25 inches long. A lot of details are
                        > really quite fine.
                        >
                        > Now also on Ebay there was a larger wooden one up once. The modeler put
                        > wheeled landing gear on that one, and a clear canopy. This was 33 inches
                        > in size.
                        >
                        > I saved photos of the Ebay listings for my model and the 33-inch one. I
                        > have just posted them up now on our Egroups page. So go here to view
                        these
                        > wood models:
                        >
                        > http://www.egroups.com/files/fireball/Fred%27s+Mahogany+Model+Photos/
                        >
                        > If the link doesn't take you right there, log in, then go to the Fireball
                        > group then to Files and open my folder called "Fred's Mahogany Model
                        Photos."

                        > This will give you all an idea what a Mahogany model will look like, and
                        > maybe Ron can also show these pictures to his builder.
                        >
                        > Fred

                      • Fred Becker
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 17, 2000
                          Thanks Ron. Yes, I have now seen the other mahogany model photos in the
                          folder named "Ron's XL5 Model:"

                          http://www.egroups.com/files/fireball/Ron%27s+XL5+Model/

                          I see also in our group files that the 33" one is built by another of our
                          list members, George Venturini. His pictures of it are posted in the
                          folder named "George Venturini--ScratchKit Prototype" here:

                          http://www.egroups.com/files/fireball/George+Venturini/

                          His prior posts say that he made it from PVC pipe. It also looks like a
                          fine model. (Hi George--very cool model).

                          Fred
                        • rlg9999
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 17, 2000
                            Hi Fred (and everyone) Yea, small world...if you look at Steve's postings in
                            the files on the Fireball egroup site, you will see one of the "sister"
                            ships posted unders "Rons" model. we were not as talented as we would like
                            to have been, but they turned out pretty well. Too much time invested to
                            spin out wood models one at a time, that's why I've been sourcing out a
                            better way to come up with much more detailed ship. I don't have any idea
                            where the 33" version came from. Did you say it was made of wood also?
                            (Steve, if this is too far off subject, just let me know) Thanks, Ron
                            > This is TOO funny. Ha. Small world. LOL :) I might have deduced this
                            > by reading my email history on the Ebay sale. Well, everyone go take a
                            > look at the cool model Ron built. In the future, I will post some
                            pictures
                            > of nice assembly jobs on the resin Firebal kit also seen on Ebay. Ron, do
                            > you know who made the 33-inch model? Or was that you too?
                            >
                            > Fred

                          • Steven Rogers
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 17, 2000
                              > . . . Please understand that I am "walking" through this process very
                              >carefully in order to get my message across to them that I would like the
                              >finished product to be fantastic. As stated before, once I get a green
                              >light, I will notify all who are interested and let you arrange payment to
                              >them directly. Once they receive payment I fully expect it to take around
                              >4-6 weeks to start receiving the models. I am still asking for a prototype
                              >in advance to make sure everyone would be happy. I don't want anyone angry
                              >with me over scale or detail.

                              For myself, I'm not that concerned about the surface details, but I
                              do hope that the overall proportions are accurate - the size of the
                              forward fins, the taper, the shape of the pods and wings, etc. I
                              hope to use it as a master to scale up for larger models.

                              Steve

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 17, 2000

                                >(Steve, if this is too far off subject, just let me know) Thanks, Ron

                                Nope - particularly not if I wind up with a Fireball model because of it.

                                Ha - small Fireball world ;)

                                Does anyone have access to a CNC milling machine? Seems like it would be
                                easy to cut out the parts from our CAD drawings if you had one.

                                Steve
                                --

                                Steve Rogers
                                @Outcome, Austin TX -- ICQ: 46340238 -- AIM: StevRocket
                              • jtt
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 17, 2000
                                  Check out a mailing list on eGroups/Yahoo called ModelersCad. There are
                                  several people who are using milling machines and other CAD/CAM devices.

                                  Steven Rogers wrote:

                                  > >(Steve, if this is too far off subject, just let me know) Thanks, Ron
                                  >
                                  > Nope - particularly not if I wind up with a Fireball model because of it.
                                  >
                                  > Ha - small Fireball world ;)
                                  >
                                  > Does anyone have access to a CNC milling machine? Seems like it would be
                                  > easy to cut out the parts from our CAD drawings if you had one.
                                  >
                                  > Steve
                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > Steve Rogers
                                  > @Outcome, Austin TX -- ICQ: 46340238 -- AIM: StevRocket

                                  John T. Tender
                                  W3JTT
                                  jtt@...

                                • Robin A Day
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 18, 2000
                                    Hi gang.
                                    A ready-made XL5 model sounds way cool.
                                    There are a lot of folks who'd want an XL5 model but don't have the interest
                                    or skill in making up kits or scratch buildiing.
                                    I hope the wooden XL5 project 'takes off'. : )
                                    It would be great to see some pictures of a prototype sometime.
                                    Judging from the prices XL5 toys fetch on ebay I'd say there's no problem
                                    with finding customers for a quality XL5 model.
                                    I think there's scope for doing a whole host of Gerry Anderson models - if
                                    the quality and price are right - and it sounds like the XL5 will be a
                                    beauty.
                                    I'll probably want to buy one - once I see what it's going to look like.

                                    By the way, I've just uploaded a few new 800x600 pictures of our 3d model to
                                    the XL5 gallery at Space City - there's a link under the Space City logo.

                                    Robin

                                    Space City
                                    http://spacecity.tripod.com