Re: Pushin' A Rock Awards

  • wolfsbane@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2001
      Collette aka Espada posted:

      A link to the Keep Wicca Traditional site

      "Why Keep Wicca Traditional?

      What is Traditional Wicca? Well, if you claim to be Wiccan and you
      don't know what Traditional Wicca is, then you're part of the problem.
      Wicca has gone from a definable set of practices, a secret society
      and a sacred Priesthood to a fluffy bunny, sugar and flowers hodge-
      podge of Pagan practices. Wicca has gone from a discipline to a feel-
      good opiate for people who skim over a book they get from Barnes and
      Noble and then declare themselves the heirs to a heritage they have
      taken no time to learn.

      Bring back the discipline to Wicca
      Bring back the honor of the Priesthood
      Bring back the "seeking" to the Seeker
      Bring back the weight of the Oath
      Bring back the Mysteries"

      This is the most eloquent, well thought out, thought provoking Wiccan
      site I've ever had the pleasure to read. It almost enough for me to
      rethink my "wicca isn't a real religion' and my 'They're all just
      whining white light fluff bunnie poser wanna bes' theories.

      A link to it should be mandatory for anyone who claiams to be a
      Wiccan. I'm glad to see that someone's trying to reclaim there
      heritage from the posers.

      Eric Wolfsbane

      Lokisgodhi
    • Collette aka Espada
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2001
        --- wolfsbane@... wrote:
        > This is the most eloquent, well thought out, thought provoking Wiccan
        > site I've ever had the pleasure to read. It almost enough for me to
        > rethink my "wicca isn't a real religion' and my 'They're all just
        > whining white light fluff bunnie poser wanna bes' theories.
        >
        > A link to it should be mandatory for anyone who claiams to be a
        > Wiccan. I'm glad to see that someone's trying to reclaim there
        > heritage from the posers.

        I agree this is a provocative site. It's good to see someone takes pride
        in their beliefs. The basis for the nomination is the blatant intolerance
        it shows toward other pagans simply because one does not share their
        discipline. While many of my pagan friends do not share my intense
        devotion to the Craft, I do not find it necessary to be condescending or
        call them names.

        Peace,
        Espada

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2001
          I'll think about it.

          -Ariadne ShadowFire

          http://photos.yahoo.com/
        • wolfsbane@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2001
            Collette aka Espada wrote:

            "The basis for the nomination is the blatant intolerance it shows
            toward other pagans simply because one does not share their
            discipline."

            A long time ago wicca used to me something. I think that the
            progenitors and it's adherents have a right to defend their
            trademark for lack of a better term.

            I don't think tolerance extends to those who make a mockery and
            contribute to the decline of the standing and perception of one's
            faith.

            I don't think that anyone has the right to come in and ignore the
            major tenants of a faith to it's detrement while still using it's
            name and think that they deserve to be greeted with anything but
            contempt.

            "While many of my pagan friends do not share my intense devotion to
            the Craft, I do not find it necessary to be condescending or call
            them names."

            Maybe that's the problem. People aren't willing to fight for what
            they believe in.

            Eric Wolfsbane

            Lokisgodhi
          • Collette aka Espada
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2001
              <Eric Wolfsbane>
              I don't think tolerance extends to those who make a mockery and contribute
              to the decline of the standing and perception of one's faith.

              I don't think that anyone has the right to come in and ignore the major
              tenants of a faith to it's detrement while still using it's name and think
              that they deserve to be greeted with anything but contempt.

              <Espada>
              I couldn't agree more. Anyone who deliberately joins a particular faith
              and then mocks the tenets of that faith deserves no respect. That person
              should expect contempt at the very least. Although it's not as popular
              any more because of abuse, banishment does have it's uses.

              I don't believe this is the intent of the "bunnies" as you refer to them.
              For the most part, these are seekers who, because of the traditional
              secrecy of our religion and lack of proper resources, have limited access
              to knowledge. Their perceived mockery is ignorance, not malicious intent.
              They would do better to describe themselves simply as pagans, and
              probably would if they knew more.

              <Eric Wolfsbane>
              Maybe that's the problem. People aren't willing to fight for what they
              believe in.

              <Espada>
              I'm more than willing to fight for what I believe. Thanks to former
              members of 2 two different groups in my area, I am doing so right now. It
              is important to fight the right battle, though. While fighting the
              bunnies, one might not notice the fox and weasel until it's too late.

              BTW - Hello, Eric. It's nice to meet you.

              =====

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2001
                Collette aka Espada wrote:

                <Espada>

                "I couldn't agree more. Anyone who deliberately joins a particular
                faith and then mocks the tenets of that faith deserves no respect.
                That person should expect contempt at the very least. Although it's
                not as popular any more because of abuse, banishment does have it's
                uses."

                Unfortunately, there is no central group or structure to banish them
                from. Any asshole can call themselves a wiccan that's why it's come
                to mean nothing.

                "I don't believe this is the intent of the "bunnies" as you refer to
                them. For the most part, these are seekers who, because of the
                traditional secrecy of our religion and lack of proper resources,
                have limited access to knowledge."

                Then let them use another name.

                "Their perceived mockery is ignorance, not malicious intent. They
                would do better to describe themselves simply as pagans, and probably
                would if they knew more."

                The maliciousness comes when they seek to require everyone to confirm
                to their ideology and attack those who don't.

                "It is important to fight the right battle, though. While fighting
                the bunnies, one might not notice the fox and weasel until it's too
                late."

                I believe that te bunnies are as dangerous a foe as the Reverend Fox
                and Pope Weasel. I consider them to be the religious left. They are
                as intent with forcing their beliefs on the rest of us as are the
                Christian religious right.

                I've noticed that if you're not a new age eclectic politically
                correct universalist elitist who believes you know what's right for
                everyone else and actually a follow a specific tradition with a code
                of conduct and scholarly research, the aforementioned pagans regard
                it as an insult and a affront to their thought dictatorship.

                These politically correct thugs, crypto fascists masquerading a
                liberal wiccans with their fluff-centric arrogance believe that they
                speak for all pagans and if you take a position that opposes the
                popular accepted paradigm and refuse to conceed the point to
                their 'obviously' superior opinion you're attacked personally for
                doing so.

                Nice to meeet you too.

                Eric Wolfsbane

                Lokisgodhi
              • oscar eduardo roa
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2001
                  Forgive me for being a little confused, but are you
                  guys debating about whether or not the Pushin' A Rock
                  Awards are a good idea or whether or not it is ok to
                  mock religion period? Because I'm not too sure WHAT
                  you guys are talking about.

                  By the way, whoever sent me that url, could you e-mail
                  it to me again? I have a tendency to delete all my
                  messages after I read them, whether they're important
                  or not.

                  http://photos.yahoo.com/