WHAT A BOOK

  • Nancy Stingi
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2000
      I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It has also given me tons to think and
      pray about. I'm afraid I'm mostly a type 1 believer although I was at
      Stage 3 for most of my life and have gone in and out of 2. I am being
      prepared for Stage 4. (at least that's my hope) Part of the "problem"
      was how I found God (or how he found me is a better way to put it). I
      was not a seeker at all. I was much too sophisticated for the smoke
      and mirrors God trick. The way God did find me was in the 12 step
      rooms as Brian mentioned. A 19 year eating disorder and 2 marriages to
      abusive alcoholics can make a person (even a hard, cynical, arrogant
      person) desperate enough to give God a chance. So I did, and he
      revealed himself as God and then as Jesus who said that he came to seek
      and save the lost. So that's my history. Of course, in my enthusiasm
      (and codependency) I want everyone to discover how Jesus tranforms
      lives. How the lie of the world is that, "Ahhh, people don't change,
      don't you know people don't change," and the gospel message is that
      people do change - God heals, restores, delivers. So in my enthusiasm,
      again I fell prey to the arrogance of I know the way, the only way.
      Obnoxious and I know it, but couldn't help but think it. So that's my
      favorite part of the book. That somehow, I'm able to respect, value
      and honor people who believe differently from me. (Kind of like Jesus
      did, I guess.) I was very struck by certain parts of the book - parts
      like Jesus Anonymous and how Brian explained the history of
      Judaism/Christianity. I need to keep rereading this book because
      there's a lot in it for me. I'm not a seeker. But I want to be part
      of a church that welcomes and honors seekers and I'm not sure we're so
      hot at it yet. thanks for letting me share.
    • Thomas Hodapp
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2000
        Thank You for the testimony Nancy, but to which book are you
        referring.
        Please reply back.

        God's Peace
        Thomas F Hodapp