Thank You

  • Michelle Lynne Harper
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 1999
      I have always considerd myself a Catholic. I, however, never really
      saw religion as an important factor in my life. I saw it as something
      that when I wanted it, then I would have it, but that I, at the time,
      didn't really need.
      But then I got engaged. I am getting merried to a man who goes to a
      non denominational church, and we decided to get merried there. We met
      with his minister and he asked me a very good question. He asked me
      what my relationship was with God. That really got me to thinking. I
      went and found a few books that I wanted to read, so that I could
      explore this subject a little further. "Finding Faith" is the first
      book, that I have read, and It has been wonderful. I am glad I pick up
      this book first, because it has shown me two diffrent things. One that
      I do want a more personal relationship with God, and two that I do
      actually have a good foundation for finding this relationship. I am at
      this time moving on with my search, but I am always going to have this
      book to look back on when I need it. Thank you for helping me begin my
      journey towards God.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 1999
        Michelle,

        Thanks for posting this! I was particularly interested in your comment

        <<that I do actually have a good foundation for finding this relationship.>>

        It seemed to me that your elaborating on that might be helpful to others in
        their search. Can you?

        Stephen Shields
        Cedar Ridge Community Church
        stephens@...
        http://www.crcc.org

[...]

        Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?
        You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it! Sign
        up today at X.com. It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
        http://click.egroups.com/1/332/3/_/25154/_/945735060

        -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=findingfaith&m=1
      • Harper Michelle
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 21, 1999
          When I started this search it was very freighting. Before it was so easy to
          say " I am a Christian, and I believe God exists.", but that was all I had
          done with it. I had not explored what that meant, or even made a commitment
          to either God or to Myself.

          So When I began this I was afraid that I didn't have the tools, or knowledge
          to make this commitment. I had no idea how to categorize my feelings, what
          I believed in, what was right and wrong for me. I wasn't even sure how to
          invite God into my life. As I started reading "Finding Faith" I found that
          Brian McLaren touched on almost every question I had. I found that a lot of
          my beliefs (things that I had learned in my own experiences, and not just
          what people had taught me), was a foundation for my faith.

          This foundation is my basic belief, which is God exists, and that he is
          personal. The foundation is created by things that I have experienced,
          learned, and have been taught thought out my upbringing. The reason that I
          wasn't sure if I had the tools, was because I have never grouped these
          things together and examined them. Once I started this, I started seeing
          how these things were with me. I did believe in God, and I did think that I
          could have a personal relationship with him. I was able to start my quest
          with this information.

          So now this is where I believe the commitment comes in, because now that I
          have decided that I do have these things inside me I now have to use them to
          build this relationship. I now will have to work to build the kind of
          personal relationship with God that I want. Build a faith that I can feel
          comfortable and strong about. The book, "Finding Faith" helped with that
          foundation.

          Michelle L Harper
          John Deere Credit
          Service Representative Ag Columbus Team
          1-800-828-8297 ext:74075
          (515)267-4075
          harpermichelle@...

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 21, 1999
            Michelle,

            Thank you for posting this! Do you have a community in Des Moines within
            which you can continue your pilgrimage? In our experience, this adventure
            is best taken with others!

            Could anyone else subscribing recommend any follow up books that might be
            helpful for Michelle (and anyone else!)?

            Stephen Shields
            Cedar Ridge Community Church
            stephens@...
            http://www.crcc.org

            When I started this search it was very freighting. Before it was so easy to
            say " I am a Christian, and I believe God exists.", but that was all I had
            done with it. I had not explored what that meant, or even made a commitment
            to either God or to Myself.

            So When I began this I was afraid that I didn't have the tools, or knowledge
            to make this commitment. I had no idea how to categorize my feelings, what
            I believed in, what was right and wrong for me. I wasn't even sure how to
            invite God into my life. As I started reading "Finding Faith" I found that
            Brian McLaren touched on almost every question I had. I found that a lot of
            my beliefs (things that I had learned in my own experiences, and not just
            what people had taught me), was a foundation for my faith.

            This foundation is my basic belief, which is God exists, and that he is
            personal. The foundation is created by things that I have experienced,
            learned, and have been taught thought out my upbringing. The reason that I
            wasn't sure if I had the tools, was because I have never grouped these
            things together and examined them. Once I started this, I started seeing
            how these things were with me. I did believe in God, and I did think that I
            could have a personal relationship with him. I was able to start my quest
            with this information.

            So now this is where I believe the commitment comes in, because now that I
            have decided that I do have these things inside me I now have to use them to
            build this relationship. I now will have to work to build the kind of
            personal relationship with God that I want. Build a faith that I can feel
            comfortable and strong about. The book, "Finding Faith" helped with that
            foundation.

            Michelle L Harper
            John Deere Credit
            Service Representative Ag Columbus Team
            1-800-828-8297 ext:74075
            (515)267-4075
            harpermichelle@...

            FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE! XpertSite is the biggest directory
            of Experts on the Web. For a REAL PERSON who will be happy to answer your
            questions!
            http://click.egroups.com/1/472/3/_/25154/_/945806566

            -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=findingfaith&m=1
          • Sunfirefay@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 22, 1999
              Do we have the book (Finding Faith) that Michelle is referring to in our
              "loan library"?

              Cynthia