Satire: Rathbun Attacks Corporate Church

  • Steve O'Keefe
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2005
      I have permission from Jossey-Bass to distribute an excerpt from the
      new book, "Post-Rapture Radio," by emergent church preacher Russell
      Rathbun. This book is a hilarious account of one man's quest to change
      the face of christianity, masquerading as a collection of sermons and
      journal entries by the fictional Rev. Richard Lamblove.

      "Post-Rapture Radio" is a scathing indictment of contemporary
      Christian culture, "a fascist state [where] everyone says they're
      really glad to see you." It includes rants such as Jesus in a
      Suitcase, Rotarian Zombies, eschatology vs. scatology, spiritual
      shopping, among others. This is the book that dares to ask: If the
      world comes to an end and you're still here, were you spared or left
      behind?

      The excerpt I am distributing is called "Mercy Machine," about an
      "automated individual liturgical device" capable of dispensing both
      mercy and judgment. The excerpt is a searing satire that challenges
      the Christian belief in a God who is both forgiver and punisher.

      I have uploaded the excerpt in the group's Files library
      under the filename "rathbunexcerpt.txt."