The Church On the Other Side

  • dawnnotdepressedanymore
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2003
      I have read Finding Faith, ANKOC, Adventures in Missing the Point,
      The Story We Find Ourselves In, More Ready Than You Realize, and The
      Church On the Other Side (basically all of Brian's books). I have
      found his writing to be very consistent in theme and content. I was
      struck, however, during Other Side, when I realized that Brian was
      doing exactly what he had criticized the modern church for; that is,
      suggesting "13 easy ways to reinvent your church". Throughout his
      writings he has made the point that the modern church has over
      analyzed theology and reduced it to so many formulas to "know" God.
      I felt he was betraying his own beliefs and was angry and
      disappointed. So angry that I was ready to throw postmodernism out
      the door. But I have just finished reading Cedar Ridge Community
      Church statement of beliefs and values, and I have to truly say I
      still find this "new" kind of Christianity an answer to my searchings
      for the truth. And perhaps Brian addressed this paradox in the
      introduction that I did not read (shame on me). Thanks for listening.