Request

  • christophilus1
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2003
      Hi folks,

      (I posted this to "ANKOC" on Yahoo but thought I would post it here
      too.)

      I just finished reading all 300-and-some posts there (pant, pant) and
      I've enjoyed what I've found so far.

      First, a little about me and then I would like to ask a request (I
      know, poor manners for a newbie).

      I have been a conservative, fundamentalist Christian for 31 years.
      But I have reached a point where I want to grow in my faith in Christ
      but leave behind some "baggage" that I have accumulated over the
      years and that, I feel, weighs me down in my journey to know Christ
      more. I'll be frank, I am sick and tired of all the arguing,
      judging, self-righteousness, divisions, and control that I have
      experienced in churches for the past 31 years. I am also sick and
      tired of all of these same things that I find in myself and I long
      for freedom. Jesus promised us life, an easy yoke, a light burden
      and rest for our souls. I have found very little those things in the
      institutionalized church (I know, they are found in Christ alone),
      but I want to grow in grace. To be honest, I've considered giving up
      Christianity and church altogether but I can't give up my faith in
      Christ. Quite a predicament, huh?

      So I was searching the net one day under the subjuct of "ex-
      fundamentalism" (yes, I'm desperate) and someplace I found a link to
      McLaren's book "ANKOC." I picked up the book and gave it a cursory
      reading. I found much in there that has stimulated my thinking to
      think "outside of the box" and I also found much that I think I need
      to work out through discussion.

      Enough about me. The forum at "ANKOC" is 5000-and-some messages
      long. I simply don't have the internet time to go and read all of
      them and any questions that I would post concerning "ANKOC" would be
      water under the bridge at this point. Especially seeing as 1) I
      don't want to disrupt the current topic and 2) Brian's new book is
      out (which I have but have not read).

      Here is my request: Is there anyone here on this forum that would be
      willing to "start again" so-to-speak with "ANKOC?" I realize this
      would involve alot of work and probably another forum here on Yahoo
      (NKOC2?). I have another friend who would also be interested in
      going through the book and discussing it.

      So are there any NKOC's here that would be willing to journey anew
      through Brian's "AKNOC" book? I would sure appreciate it. And with
      all the members here, maybe someone else would enjoy it, too?

      Sincerely,
      christophilus
    • Daniel Elwell
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2003
        Thanks for your post. I'm glad you found us!

        ANKOC and it's sequel, The Story We Find Ourselves In
        (TSWFOI) can catalyze thiking in some interesting
        ways. That is of course Brian's chief reason for
        writing the books - to stimulate thinking.

        I'm not exactly sure what you are specifically asking
        for, though. Are you looking for folks to correspond
        with about about what you discover from the book? Or
        are you looking for a penpal to read through the book
        with you.

        I'm sure there are many folks on this list that might
        be willing to share their points of view on the topics
        in the book.

        -Dan

        =====

        Daniel W. Elwell

        Email: dwelwell@...

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • christophilus1
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2003
          Hi Dan,

          > I'm not exactly sure what you are specifically asking
          > for, though. Are you looking for folks to correspond
          > with about about what you discover from the book? Or
          > are you looking for a penpal to read through the book
          > with you.

          Uhh...yes! :)

          I had read ANKOC once through but desired to go through it again
          while discussing some of the ideas and concepts with other Christians.

          I asked the other forum NKOC if they wanted to go back through the
          book but it appears that they have gone through it 3 times already
          (wow) and, while they were very gracious in encouraging me to post
          any thoughts I had, I did not want to interrupt their current topics
          and conversation.

          Therefore, I started a second NKOC group called (what else?) NKOC2
          for the purpose of going through the book. NKOC2 is NOT competition
          for or a replacement for the original group, just a sub-group that is
          going through Brian's book again. If any of you would like to join in
          the discussion (we have just started the Introduction), you can find
          it at:

          BTW, I am about 3/4's of the way through "Finding Faith" and enjoying
          it immensely. Brian's breakdown of 4 stages of faith has really
          helped me alot -- to see where I am coming from and to see where I
          might need to go in my faith in Christ.

          Thanks for your reply, Dan.

          christophilus
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 22, 2003
            Hi all,

            Before there was

            or

            there was this forum!

            I used to pastor with my friend Brian McLaren at Cedar Ridge Community
            Church and started this forum while there. If you look @

            You can see from the month/year table at the bottom of the page that there
            has been intermittent periods of discussion here. So some have posted
            concerns that their posts were not appropriate here. They are and your
            thoughts are welcome. Let the conversation continue!

            http://faithmaps.blogspot.com
            "navigating theology, leadership, and spiritual formation in postmodernity"

            ---