New to the site

  • dawnnotdepressedanymore
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
      Hi to whoever sees this! I've just read three Brian McLaren books--
      A New Kind of Christian, More Ready Than You Realize, and Adventures
      in Missing the Point (with Tony Campolo). To make a very long story
      shorter, let me just say that I'm in the middle of a very difficult
      crisis of faith right now, angry at God, angry at organized
      religion, etc. I was born and raised a staunch Southern Baptist,
      which until the past three years has been very satisfying for me and
      seemed to have all the "answers". I have just recently come out of
      a ten year bout with chronic major depression--I have made it to the
      other side, so to speak. But as I am now no longer depressed, it
      seems to me that God has played this enormous joke on me--that after
      ten years of trying to die and wanting to die--He brought me through
      only to find out, when reality finally set in, that life sucks and
      then you die, and He's up there laughing His head off. I don't mean
      to sound so dire, but nothing in my life is like I thought it would
      be (after my depression lifted). To me, my marriage is falling
      apart, and my kids are distant. I can say my job has gotten more
      tolerable, now that I am able to cope with stress in a rational
      way. All this to say that Brian's books have made an impact on me
      spriritually. It was like a light finally came on for me--yes, this
      was the kind of Christianity that I could believe in, and moreover,
      share with others. I really don't have anyone to talk with these
      concepts about--all my family and friends are Catholic or Southern
      Baptist and think postmodernism is straight from hell. So I'm
      hoping I can have some dialogue with someone(s) from this site. I
      truly want to have hope again and to believe that God wants the best
      for me--I want to love God again. Right now, I'm just too angry.
      That is something I will have to work on. But, tonight I did buy a
      new Bible (which I haven't read in years) and I'm excited about
      learning what it has to say.

      Well, I've rambled on and on. I hope I will hear from one of you
      soon. Thanks!

      Dawn
    • rwtindc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
        Dawn:
        So glad to hear you're out of the "funk"! Too bad about all your Baptist/Catholic friends and family and their uninformed view of PostModernism. Make up a different name for it and maybe they'll understand better.(?)

        What is it about some of the concepts that Brian writes about and specifically Post Modern understanding that connects with you?

        Richard
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
          Welcome Dawn!

          Dawn wrote:
          Hi to whoever sees this! I've just read three Brian McLaren books--
          A New Kind of Christian, More Ready Than You Realize, and Adventures
          in Missing the Point (with Tony Campolo). To make a very long story
          shorter, let me just say that I'm in the middle of a very difficult
          crisis of faith right now, angry at God, angry at organized
          religion, etc. I was born and raised a staunch Southern Baptist,
          which until the past three years has been very satisfying for me and
          seemed to have all the "answers". I have just recently come out of
          a ten year bout with chronic major depression--I have made it to the
          other side, so to speak.

          ss:

          That's great!

          d:

          But as I am now no longer depressed, it seems to me that God has played
          this enormous joke on me--that after
          ten years of trying to die and wanting to die--He brought me through only
          to find out, when reality finally set in, that life sucks and then you die,
          and He's up there laughing His head off. I don't mean to sound so dire, but
          nothing in my life is like I thought it would be (after my depression
          lifted). To me, my marriage is falling apart, and my kids are distant.

          ss: I'm so sorry, Dawn. Life truly can be disappointing. (Sorry, I know
          that sounds trite).

          d:

          I can say my job has gotten more tolerable, now that I am able to cope
          with stress in a rational way. All this to say that Brian's books have made
          an impact on me spriritually. It was like a light finally came on for
          me--yes, this was the kind of Christianity that I could believe in, and
          moreover, share with others. I really don't have anyone to talk with these
          concepts about--all my family and friends are Catholic or Southern Baptist
          and think postmodernism is straight from hell. So I'm hoping I can have
          some dialogue with someone(s) from this site. I truly want to have hope
          again and to believe that God wants the best for me--I want to love God
          again. Right now, I'm just too angry.

          ss:

          I think wanting to love is a great start. I love the way the Scriptures
          portray God's folks being pissed off at Him and telling Him so.

          d:

          That is something I will have to work on. But, tonight I did buy a new
          Bible (which I haven't read in years) and I'm excited about learning what it
          has to say.

          ss:

          That's great! Sounds like you will be reading it with new eyes.

          Well, I've rambled on and on. I hope I will hear from one of you
          soon. Thanks!

          d:

          Welcome again, Dawn, and thanks for writing!
          http://faithmaps.blogspot.com
          "navigating theology, leadership, and spiritual formation in
          postmodernity"

          ---

        • Benjamin Seaman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
            A lot of what you have said resonates within me. I find myself questioning
            the status quo of the church that I help pastor. I see that our spiritual
            life could be so much better (more alive??) but people seem to be content
            with monotony and meaninglessness in their Christ-walk. I don't know how to
            help people through that. I'm not even sure people want to be helped through
            it. Were the Pharisees content with all their neat rules? Did they find
            security in the drudgery of the life they lived and maybe were threatened by
            the adventure of a life lived focused on God? It's really hard to be a
            pastor to people who want nothing more than Sunday mornings and Wednesday
            nights. Aaaggghhh!!!

            Anyway, my faith has been shaken by what I see in the people of our church
            (other churches too) and yet I have found new life in getting back to
            Scripture and reading God's word for the specific purpose of know God.
            Brian's books (I think I have read all of them), Sweet's books (same) and
            others have served to focus me on what really matters - that's God. Dawn, I
            think that getting back to the Bible and letting God's truth permeate our
            lives is the best thing that we can do - though it doesn't feel like enough
            sometimes, especially when surrounded by people who like being dead.

            Enough said - sometimes my own thoughts criticize me!

            Later

            (all emails avail @ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/findingfaith)

            > Want to unsubscribe? Just send a blank note to
            findingfaith-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          • Eland, David R
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
              Ben Said:
              ...I find myself questioning the status quo of the church that I help
              pastor. I see that our spiritual life could be so much better (more
              alive??) but people seem to be content with monotony and meaninglessness
              in their Christ-walk.

              Dave:
              Wow. Unfortunately you are not alone as a pastor or believer. But
              you are also not alone as a person desiring more "life". My guess is
              there are others in your own congregation with the same desires.

              Ben:
              ...I don't know how to
              help people through that. I'm not even sure people want to be helped
              through
              it. ... It's really hard to be a
              pastor to people who want nothing more than Sunday mornings and
              Wednesday
              nights. Aaaggghhh!!!

              Dave:
              Many do want to be helped but may not know how to ask. Perhaps more
              important, God surely wants them to be helped. I pray that God will
              show you one person to start with.

              Ben:
              ...Anyway, my faith has been shaken ... I think that getting back to
              the Bible and letting God's truth permeate our
              lives is the best thing that we can do - though it doesn't feel like
              enough
              sometimes, especially when surrounded by people who like being dead.

              Dave:
              Good for you. I pray that "thinking God's thoughts after him" will
              refresh you and give you wisdom about how to tackle the challenge he has
              given you... I have experienced that sometimes God's first step in
              using us as agents of change is to make us feel sick of things the way
              they are. When I could stand it no longer I cried out to him in
              frustration, disappointment, and weakness. I sought him in prayer and
              fasting. God's answer was to bring about change in me, from the heart
              outward so that I could then help others to change. It's usually a slow
              process, but I'm slow learner :-)

              Be encouraged. I'm confident that God is at work in this.

              -Dave