Hermeneutics

  • beorn2788
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
      It sounds as if Brian rejects the literal approach to the Genesis
      creation narrative.

      Does he see this as symbolic?

      Are there alternative interpretations of the creation narrative, the
      flood, etc.?

      At which point in the narrative would the interpretive model change
      to a more historical approach (e.g., @ Abraham, Isaac, etc.)?

      Is there any resource that would describe the hermeneutical
      principles that he is following?

      What is his view on inspiration, authority, and inerrancy of the
      Bible?

      Sorry for so many questions...
    • rick1j13
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2002
        --- In findingfaith@y..., "beorn2788" <beorn@a...> wrote:
        > It sounds as if Brian rejects the literal approach to the Genesis
        > creation narrative.
        >
        > Does he see this as symbolic?
        >
        > Are there alternative interpretations of the creation narrative,
        the
        > flood, etc.?
        >
        > At which point in the narrative would the interpretive model
        change
        > to a more historical approach (e.g., @ Abraham, Isaac, etc.)?
        >
        > Is there any resource that would describe the hermeneutical
        > principles that he is following?
        >
        > What is his view on inspiration, authority, and inerrancy of the
        > Bible?
        >
        > Sorry for so many questions...

        Hi - I'll chime in. What makes you say all that? when I read FINDING
        FAITH, I didn't so much question the author's intent as I was forced
        to question why I had come to certain conclusions, if that makes
        sense. I think it's a good book on dealing with how I think, not
        trying to superimpose any particular bent on anyone else. It's not
        so much that one way is right and all otehrs are wrong - but can I
        grab some truths from these other "interpretations" that might
        better flesh out my own faith in God as Creator...

        sorry for rambling - peace - rick
      • Dave Weber
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 2002
          beorn2788 (sorry I don't know your name):

          I think all of your questions are excellent and I'm glad you
          took the initiative to ask them. I have all of the same
          questions as you. Though I know Brian personally, I don't think
          I can adequately answer for you what he believes on each of
          these issues. I do know that he does not believe in a young
          earth and that he allows for the possibility/liklihood of
          evolution.

          There's certainly the possibility that Brian saw your email and
          will respond to it...but he's flooded with emails and probably
          doesn't have the time to be on email groups. How about we alter
          your questions a little bit? Instead of saying, "what does
          Brian believe," how about we say "what do we (the people on the
          email list) believe?" I'd like to hear others opinions on
          this.

          Thanks,
          Dave Weber

          --- rick1j13 <rstilwell@...> wrote:
          > --- In findingfaith@y..., "beorn2788" <beorn@a...> wrote:
          > > It sounds as if Brian rejects the literal approach to the
          > Genesis
          > > creation narrative.
          > >
          > > Does he see this as symbolic?
          > >
          > > Are there alternative interpretations of the creation
          > narrative,
          > the
          > > flood, etc.?
          > >
          > > At which point in the narrative would the interpretive model
          >
          > change
          > > to a more historical approach (e.g., @ Abraham, Isaac,
          > etc.)?
          > >
          > > Is there any resource that would describe the hermeneutical
          > > principles that he is following?
          > >
          > > What is his view on inspiration, authority, and inerrancy of
          > the
          > > Bible?
          > >
          > > Sorry for so many questions...
          >
          > Hi - I'll chime in. What makes you say all that? when I read
          > FINDING
          > FAITH, I didn't so much question the author's intent as I was
          > forced
          > to question why I had come to certain conclusions, if that
          > makes
          > sense. I think it's a good book on dealing with how I think,
          > not
          > trying to superimpose any particular bent on anyone else. It's
          > not
          > so much that one way is right and all otehrs are wrong - but
          > can I
          > grab some truths from these other "interpretations" that might
          >
          > better flesh out my own faith in God as Creator...
          >
          > sorry for rambling - peace - rick

          =====
          Dave Weber
          mailto:davideweber@...
          http://www.mp3.com/DaveWeber

          http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
        • DT2748@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2002
            In a message dated 11/9/2002 9:41:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            davideweber@... writes:

            > How about we alter
            > your questions a little bit? Instead of saying, "what does
            > Brian believe," how about we say "what do we (the people on the
            > email list) believe?" I'd like to hear others opinions on
            > this.

            Hi Dave,

            Personally I do not hold to a literal interpretation of the Genesis creation
            account; however I do not hold to the theory of evolution either. There is a
            middle ground position known as Progressive Creation. Rather then post a
            lengthly explanation, I'll just give the address below in which Hugh Ross
            does more justice to this theory.

            Denny

            http://www.leaderu.com/real/ri9403/date.html