RE: [findingfaith] CONFUSED ON POSTMODERN DOCTRINE

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2002
      Welcome to Finding Faith Denny!

      Denny, I think you've found the right group! We are delighted that you've
      come here and I know that many of us have felt similarly.

      d:

      WENT TO CHURCH TODAY, BUT MY CHOICE WAS RATHER ARBITRARY. IN OTHER
      WORDS, I WENT SOMEWHERE SAFE. IT MADE ME FEEL GOOD, BUT IT WAS A
      TEMPORARY MOVE TO GET THE BALL ROLLING.

      ss:

      Denny, it sounds like that you are taking an experimental approach to
      finding the right community and that sounds healthy to me. Listen, I'm
      going to ask some questions and you just feel totally free to ignore the
      ones - or all of them - that you don't wish to answer. But if you were to
      let us know where you are geographically we might know of helpful churches
      in that area that we could recommend.

      d:

      I WANT TO BE MORE INCLUSIVE IN MY ATTITUDE
      ABOUT OTHER CHRISTIANS, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO DRAW THE LINE AND
      HOW THE WHOLE THING FIGURES IN WITH POSTMODERNISM.

      ss:

      Frankly I think more and more folks are struggling with just that question!
      My favorite guideline has always been's Augustine's tried and true "in
      essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity
      (love)."

      d:

      I THINK ONE EXAMPLE OF CONFUSION WILL SUFFICE. THE SCHOOLS THAT
      I WAS EDUCATED IN FELT THE CHARISMATIC (TONGUES, ETC) GIFTS HAD
      CEASED. NOW I FEEL THEIR ARGUMENT IS NOT CONCLUSIVE, AND I WOULD
      EVEN BE WILLING TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE GIFTS MAY NOT HAVE CEASED,
      BUT I COULD NEVER AGREE WITH GROUPS THAT FEEL THAT "BAPTISM IN THE
      HOLY SPIRIT" AS EVIDENCED BY SPEAKING IN TONGUES" IS A NECESSARY
      EXPERIENCE FOR ALL OF US. I THINK YOU SEE MY PROBLEM BY THIS ONE
      EXAMPLE. ANY INPUT FROM ANYONE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

      ss:

      Well, I'll drill down with you specifically on this one 'cause you brought
      it up and because, ironically, it appears that we have similar backgrounds
      and convictions! I have 5 years of formal Christian college and graduate
      school education and I was always taught that the sign gifts have ceased. I
      never found the arguments convincing! But I also think that they've been
      way overemphasized in many circles and that the demand that everyone
      experience a 2nd work of grace in the form of a "Baptism in the Holy Spirit"
      is one manifestation of this overemphasis. However, Denny, having said
      that, let me say that I have very little doubt that there are Christians who
      have no doubt that every Christian should experience this 2nd Baptism who
      please God daily far more than I do. I think that when God looks at our
      hearts he is looking for something quite different than doctrinal precision
      on these theological non-essentials.

      Again, delighted that you've found us, looking forward to others interaction
      here, and hope that we can continue this dialog! Many have found much help
      in Brian's books!
      "tools for navigating theology,
      leadership, discipleship and
      church life in postmodernity"
      over 500 links and articles

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2002
        Denny,

        I just re-read your Subject line: For some introductory material on pomo,
        see

        http://www.faithmaps.org/pomophilarticles.htm

        and look at some of the articles under

        Introduction to Postmodernism

        and

        On Postmodernism and Christianity

        I have the briefest of brief nutshell treatments @

        http://www.faithmaps.org/postmodernperspective.htm

        and a little different slant with a short article @

        http://www.faithmaps.org/whatsafaithmap.htm

        plus just a couple of helpful thoughts with reliance on Brian @

        http://www.faithmaps.org/theologyinpomo.htm

        Again, "keep coming back!"
        "tools for navigating theology,
        leadership, discipleship and
        church life in postmodernity"
        over 500 links and articles

      • William Guy
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2002
          Hi Denny (and others),

          Boy . . . do I relate to your message.

          I haven't yet read "Finding Faith." I happened to see "A New Kind of Christian" on a book list, and it spoke to me like nothing else I have read for several years.

          I was raised in the Southern Baptist church in Oklahoma and have migrated through an old-time Pentecostal church, then the Charismatic movement of the 70s and early 80s to the United Methodist Church. Having moved to the Boston area about four years ago, I have been unable to really find a church "home" here.

          I hate that I am carrying so much "baggage" from my previous experiences, and would like to make a new and fresh start, but I don't quite know how to do it. To be honest, I sometimes miss the security and "inclusiveness" that one feels when immersed in the almost cult-like cocoon of fundamentalism, but there's no way I could go back . . . but I just don't know quite how to go forward.

          I feel I really need to have a group of like-minded searchers with whom I can share and explore and question and affirm . . . people who will be really honest and not try to maintain that "holy facade" masking their own questions and doubts and problems. I haven't found it yet, in person, but maybe that's what this online group can be.

          Anyway, hang in there, Denny, and let's all keep this dialogue going.

          Bill Guy
          Salem, Massachusetts

          >>> sshields@... 02/17/02 07:38PM >>>
          Denny,

          I just re-read your Subject line: For some introductory material on pomo,
          see

          http://www.faithmaps.org/pomophilarticles.htm

          and look at some of the articles under

          Introduction to Postmodernism

          and

          On Postmodernism and Christianity

          I have the briefest of brief nutshell treatments @

          http://www.faithmaps.org/postmodernperspective.htm

          and a little different slant with a short article @

          http://www.faithmaps.org/whatsafaithmap.htm

          plus just a couple of helpful thoughts with reliance on Brian @

          http://www.faithmaps.org/theologyinpomo.htm

          Again, "keep coming back!"
          "tools for navigating theology,
          leadership, discipleship and
          church life in postmodernity"
          over 500 links and articles

          You can visit the Finding Faith Yahoo groups web site to modify your
          delivery settings and review former messages @