Just starting "A New Kind of Christian"

  • scriobhaim@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2001
      Just staring "A New Kind..." I picked up the book in a seminary
      library when I caught sight of the book jacket in the library's "new
      books" display. I knew of Brian McLaren's name from years ago, and
      wondered whether that could be the same Brian McLaren. Yes, it was.
      So
      I had to read it, naturally, if only out of curiosity. But it was
      really for much more than that. The issues he's dealing with are the
      issues I've been wrestling with, together with some friends, for
      going
      on years now.
      I teach in a Bible college in a former republic of the USSR. One
      refreshing aspect of life over there is that their way of thinking hs
      not been crammed into the classical western calvinist/arminian
      dichotomy. They live - at the risk of using trendy talk - outside
      that
      box. For Americans going over there, this is often incomprehensible.
      We have been taught, explicitly, that an "ethical" Christian MUST
      stake out a "position", one or the other. You can't be a real
      Christian without membership in one of those "modern conceptual
      cathedrals" Brian mentions in chapter three (that's as far as I've
      gotten yet).
      Two phrases that have become important to me in recent years are, 1)
      SAYS WHO??? and 2) I DON'T KNOW. I'm tired, tired, tired of our
      making
      pronouncements on things that we really don't know the answer to. One
      of my arguments against atheism is that, for there to be no God, and
      for one to KNOW that there's no God, one has to have gone to that
      place where such a God WOULD be if he DID exist and found him to be
      not there. Who can claim to have done that? The only way you could
      KNOW there's no God would be to have become virtually the God you
      say doesn't exist. When an atheist says, "There's no God" he's only
      displaying his ignorance (an ignorance which we Christians share in
      large part with him), not a "knowledge". Well, we Christians have, to
      a great degree, exhibited the same sort of hubris as the atheist,
      making grand, theological, systematic, schematic and "biblically
      supported" statements on things that we-really-don't-know. In that
      way
      we very much mirror the atheist's presumption.
      The Christians where I live and work have a "Christianity" which
      actually exists without any Arminian or Calvinist "foundation" -
      imagine that. (And I realize this whole question about
      "postmodernity"
      and our faith isn't only about these theologies; I just offer this as
      one example). Once some thoroughly Calvinistic Christians from Texas
      came for a visit. One of these brothers bemoaned the theological
      poverty of our Ukrainian brethren. "I don't intend to force them to
      accept our point of view, but it IS sad that they don't understand
      'assurance' - without it, how can you have the jo-o-o-oy?" And, yes,
      "joy" was intoned in that low thunder way that indicates this is a
      message straight from heaven, much as we often say, "Ga-a-a-awd". I
      thought, "Just who are YOU to decide these believers have no joy
      because they don't subscribe to a mental construct in which you find
      your security (eternal or otherwise...)?" Allegiance to a conceptual
      cathedral or allegiance to "God as He knows Himself to be" (and that
      means "mostly unknown to us")?
      Jesus said to the people of his day, "Where I am going, you cannot
      go..." "Postmodernism" WOULD like, I think, in some of its concrete
      manifestations, to say to the church, "Where we are going, you
      and your Jesus cannot go...." I believe the great surprise that's
      waiting to be unwrapped is that, wherever postmodernism takes us, and
      whichever of our paradigms it demolishes, we will all find, somewhere
      down that road, Jesus standing, saying with grin and with love, "You
      thought I was behind you? I've been waiting here the longest time.
      Now
      let's go...." I don't know who that will be the biggest (or
      happiest) surprise to - the modern Christians or the postmodern
      non-Christians.
      I have been back in America for a few months. One of the worst days
      of
      "reverse culture shock" I experienced was the day I visited a
      Christian book store. On one side was a whole "Prayer of Jabez" (POJ)
      display: POJ devotionals, POJ wallet cards, POJ throw pillows.... I
      was physically revolted. Some people in the world would give their
      right arm to have a Bible. We not only have Bibles (where you can
      find
      the prayer of Jabez if you want to, though it will be minus the
      dubitable interpretations that have been attached to it); we have to
      have Prayer of Jabez throw pillows, to assure ourselves that we are
      "cutting-edge" Christians. And that's this month. Next month, after
      the fad dies down, it will be something else. It has to be; after
      all,
      this is business, folks, and there's a profit margin to be
      maintained.
      In the same vein, the latest troubles in the world are BOUND to spawn
      the same glutting of the market with every, single blessed "prophecy"
      book ("Reprint! Joe Shmoe's 1982 groundbreaking work on biblical
      prophecy, complete with a new, cutting-edge chapter on what GOD wants
      you to know about Osama Bin Laden and the end times!!!"); that's what
      happened in the Gulf War - the buck's gotta be made while it can.
      It's
      a business; it's a living. Truth often has to take a back seat; sober
      judgment almost always does. And all this time... the world is
      watching us, watching us entertain, inspire, 'challenge' and purchase
      ourselves into warm, cozy, insular Christian oblivion. And we wonder
      why we can't reach them....
      I turned from Prayer of Jabez display to see the opposite wall
      stacked, for virtually the length of the store, with Yankee Jar
      Candles. The immediate correlation with the faith escaped me, and my
      nausea only worsened. I walked out of the store, literally dizzied.
      No, I don't mean anything against candles and pretty scents. It's
      just... it's just... well, I don't exactly have the words.
      I forgot to mention: on my pass through the store I stumbled across
      yet another "in" thing I missed while I've been out of the country.
      I had heard of "Chicken Soup for the Soul". Now I see there is
      chicken
      soup not only for the soul but for the man's soul, the woman's soul,
      the teenager's soul, the busy executive's soul, the couch potato's
      soul, the pet-lover's soul, the pet's soul....
      We want to know it all, have it all, be it all. We've forgotten that
      only God can do that. If I fall, if I sin, I want to not only have
      God's forgiveness, I want to know the exact spiritual/biblical/
      soteriological/systematic mechanism by which God does that and what
      its implications are for the way everybody else should think. It's
      not
      only that He forgives me, but He forgives me because I could NEVER
      lose my salvation and it's only that I lose my "fellowship" with Him
      (define that, put that on paper, draw the parameters of that, can
      you?) until I confess (and there are plenty of recipes for exactly
      the
      right way to do that), or, if I am of another theological bent, it
      may
      mean that I am in danger of losing my salvation, and I need to confes
      to assure my abiding in Him and, by the way, I'd better press on to
      that state in which I will no longer sin, entire sanctification - and
      the only indication that I've "arrived" is because I feel it and I
      tell others so.... I can't help but think of the words from the
      Catholic mass: Agnus Dei, miserere nobis, Agnus Dei, miserere nobis,
      Agnus Dei, dona nobis pacem; Lamb of God, have mercy on us, Lamb of
      God, have mercy on us, Lamb of God, grant us peace....
      Scriobhaim