Re: Enjoyed the Book enjoying the posts

  • Bill Hutchins
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2001
      Chris,
      I doubt that my friend has read the Chicago statement on Innerrancy, but I
      have and found it to be (no disrespect intended) a very humorous experience.
      First off your right it claims not need to believe in innerancy for
      salvation but really pushes the importance of it, but then makes it clear
      that belief in innerancy does not necessarily mean your life will look any
      more together than those who don't believe. Secondly it seemed to only hold
      to inerrancy only to the extent that the translation held to the original
      text. That's great now all I have to do is get my hands on an original text
      learn a few dead languages really well and compare it to the translation.
      Or I could just trust the translators who probably disagree with each other
      on 100 subtle points. Thirdly the copy of the Chicago statement that I found
      on the Internet was well, I think, errant, so I'm not entirely sure of
      exactly what they meant one place said "rather that" and I think they meant
      "rather than" another place said "of" and I think that they meant "for" .
      Maybe I could find an original text = )
      I recently read a quote that went something like this " The biggest problem
      I have with communication is over comming the illusion that it has occured"
      Connie