uhhhh....hi.

  • Matt Knox
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2000
      Whomever reads this,

      I am not exactly sure that this is the place I am looking for. I am
      reading through Finding Faith and have some issues with a few
      points...I am not looking to argue about anything but merely for
      possible clarification and assistance in fully understanding the
      implications of the text. If this is the right place to be asking such
      questions...and you are the right person to whom I should be directing
      these questions, I would appreciate an email or reply here. My
      questions are pretty complex and are pertaining to some already
      ambiguous theological grounds, I'm not trying to talk tough here in an
      abstracted scholastic sense but I am really struggling with some of
      these more nebulous concepts...aka chapter 7 and the question of evil
      in Christian theology as dualism. So if you like kicking around some
      light reading, please give me a response.

      Just a little about myself, I am 25 and am currently living in Buenos
      Aries,Argentina where I am attempting to teach ESL (I just got here
      three weeks ago). I was raised Evengelical, ditched my faith in late
      high school, rediscovered it in college (University of
      Illinois...English Lit and TESL), where I then proceeded to mess it all
      up again...I am currently somewhere between stage three and four on
      Brian's model (Chap 3) and have some sort of ill defined customized
      postmodern outlook (clear enough). I have been in a crisis of faith for
      years now and it is intensifying. I came to Argentina in part to get
      away from all the distractions of my normal life and sort this all
      out...so...if you want to hear my questions and venture some
      suggestions please let me know...I could really use some help.

      Matt Knox
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 13, 2000
        Matt,

        You wrote:

        <<My
        questions are pretty complex and are pertaining to some already
        ambiguous theological grounds, I'm not trying to talk tough here in an
        abstracted scholastic sense but I am really struggling with some of
        these more nebulous concepts...aka chapter 7 and the question of evil
        in Christian theology as dualism. >>

        Go ahead! I'd love to dialogue with you on this!

        Stephen Shields
        Cedar Ridge Community Church
        stephens@...
        http://www.crcc.org

[...]

        Looking for educational tools for your kids?
        Find everything you need at SmarterKids.com
        http://click.egroups.com/1/645/3/_/25154/_/947820112/

        eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/findingfaith/
      • BrianCRCC@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 14, 2000
          Matt -- you're at the right place. You'll probably get a lot of good help
          from folks in this group.
        • Sunfirefay@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 14, 2000
            Matt: I am finishing up on a great Humanities class and have had to write
            quite a few papers on early Christianity and today's Christian. The
            information that I read and wrote about is unbelievable. I particularly
            focused on two people.

            The first you might find interesting because he had an "unsettled" period in
            his life, was raised a Christian, but dabbled in other religions until
            finally returning to Christianity. His name is Saint Augustine. Although I
            don't particularly agree with some of his and his mother's behaviors, he was
            a dynamite Christian and I think you would do well to learn about him.

            The second I think you should take a look at is Aristotle. He is probably the
            most misunderstood and under-appreciated of all early Christians, but I found
            him and his works very rewarding.

            I also wrote a paper on what is was and is like to be a Christian. If you
            would like a copy of any of these papers please let me know and I would be
            happy to share them with you.

            It is without a doubt that in the last five weeks I have grown closer to God
            and Jesus Christ as a direct result of studying early Christianity. When I
            say my prayers I thank God for bringing all of these people into our lives
            for us to learn from. Also, a really great book to read is Will the Real
            Heretics Please Stand Up by David W. Bercot. It's a new look at today's
            Evangelical Church in the light of early Christianity.

            Good luck,
            Cynthia
          • Matthew Knox
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 14, 2000
              Cynthia,

              Thank you very much for your response to my posting, it been encouraging to
              me to see the number of responses so quickly to a fellow Christian (if I can
              necessarily call myself that) in crisis. The early church is a fascinating
              topic. I have done alot of personal research into early traditions of the
              faith and the founding fathers of Christian thought, post apostles. For the
              last two years I have been serious courting the option of officially
              aligning myself denominationally with Eastern Orthodoxy, a tradition with an
              incredibly rich history of and investment in the early Church. I've also
              read much of Augustine and Aristotle...both of whom I admire and respect
              deeply. Discovering such profound intellects within our faith over the
              course of millenia is certainly a source of encouragement. Unfortunately
              my issues tend to be grounded at a more intimate level... With many of my
              questions, including those of my last posting, I am very much aware that
              much more intelligent and spiritually mature men and women then I have
              debated these questions for centuries, certainly since the conception of the
              Church...not even to mention the ruminations of Hebrew theologians before
              the advent of Christianity. So I hope it can be seen that while I must
              acknowledge myself inadequate to the task of discerning the truth in these
              matters I must also speak from my heart, and attempt to discover a truth I
              can grasp.

              Your offer to share your papers with me is tremedously kind, however I don't
              even have a set address here in Argentina yet. Maybe once I am more
              established I can ask you to send them, I always enjoy being allowed to
              share the insights of others.

              Matt

            • Harper Michelle
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 24, 2000
                Hello Matt. I am in a lot of ways in the same position as you. I know the
                search is hard, and confusing. This group has helped me in a lot of ways.
                Welcome...

                Michelle L Harper
                John Deere Credit
                Service Representative Ag Columbus Team