Looking for more information

  • carlpb92111@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2001
      I typed in "Liberal Fundamentalist" in Google.com and I got a
      reference to "A New Kind of Christian" which I ordered and read. I
      was raised a fundamentalist Christian but do not consider myself a
      Christian today. I'm a member of the Church of Religious Science,
      was studying to be a Practitioner (a licensed spiritual counselor)
      but became disillusioned and dropped out of the training in February
      2001 (after about 2 1/2 years of study).

      Since then I've been essentially inactive as far as church, am
      involved in other spiritual groups (Alcoholics Anonymous; Al Anon).
      And I was looking for some kind of enlightened thinking about
      Christianity...which I found in Brian McLaren's book.

      I would like to explore the ideas expressed in "A New Kind of
      Christian" with a study or discussion group; and preferrably in
      person rather than on-line.

      Does anyone know if there are groups or churches pursuing the post-
      modern approach; and if so, where? Any in San Diego, CA?

      I appreciate any direction. Thanks---Carl Bergstrom
    • Rick Stilwell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2001
        Hi, Carl - I'm in South Carolina, not Southern California, but understand
        looking for someone to talk face-to-face with about some of the changes and
        experiences you're sensing and having. I don't know of any - but online,
        there's another email list that's discussing the NEW KIND OF CHRISTIAN book
        you've just read: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NKOC. I'd also recommend
        another of Brian's books: FINDING FAITH (my idea of a postmodern MERE
        CHRISTIANITY).

        peace out - rick
      • briancrcc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2001
          Hi, Carl -- I wish I had a good referral for you in San Diego ... maybe
          someone else in this group does.  You (and others) might be interested in
          another E-group that has been discussing the book -- NKOC@yahoogroups.com. --
          Brian
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2001
            Hi Carl,

            There are also a number of groups who discuss in the pomo/Christian thoughtspace listed @

            a number of sites listed that focus on this listed @

            and a number of articles you might find helpful @

            Carl, that should give you enough material to keep you exploring for the next 15 years or so!  To understate, there are a number of us who are no longer happy with same 'ol, same 'ol, so welcome to the club!