A New Kind of Christian

  • Dave Weber
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 25, 2001
      I just finished reading "A New Kind of Christian." I am
      writing this note for a couple of reasons. First of all, I
      wanted to thank you, Bryan, for another great book. I was so
      sorry for it to come to the end...I wanted it to keep going. I
      actually think that was your intent. It does keep going doesn't
      it?...each day that we live and interact with God and with each
      other.

      My second reason for writing it to encourage those who bought
      the book but for whatever reason haven't read it yet or
      completed it. After reading and loving "Finding Faith," I
      anxiously awaited the arrival of the new book. The Introduction
      chapter only added to my excitement. But for some reason I kind
      of stalled out by the end of chapter 4. It was clear to me that
      Dan was struggling with his faith...but it wasn't clear to me
      why or about what specifically. Not knowing anything about
      postmodernism, I couldn't understand how Neo was going to help
      Dan. I put the book down for about 3 weeks.

      I'd like to thank several of you who wrote to this group and
      expressed how much the book meant to you. This was a reminder
      to me to pick it back up. I'm happy to say that did just
      that...and once I got into chapter 5 and beyond, it was hard to
      put down.

      I plan to write at another time about some of the specific
      things that spoke to me in the book. But I gotta ask: was I
      not paying attention in 1998 when DC United won the World Cup?
      I must have missed that one. :-)

      Thanks again, Bryan!

      Dave Weber

      =====
      Dave Weber
      mailto:davideweber@...
      http://www.mp3.com/DaveWeber

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Matt Lilly
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 26, 2001
        I am also on the last pages of New Kind of Christian. Maybe I am stalling
        finishing because I too am not wanting to end that which has brought so much
        pleasure and challenge.

        As an evangelical of 18 years, I feel like I need to take a 3 month break to
        re-examine my theology. What Brian said made a lot of sense, but with
        anything that is of real significance in life (i.e. my faith), it deserves
        study and reflection. I feel like I'm Dan at about chapter 8.

        Matt

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 26, 2001
          In a message dated 6/26/01 2:08:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          davideweber@... writes:

          But I gotta ask:  was I
          not paying attention in 1998 when DC United won the World Cup?
          I must have missed that one. :-)

          That was wishful thinking.  After all, this is fiction!!!  I figured I could
          indulge my wishes....  Thanks for your kind words, everyone.  -- Brian
          Message 4 of 10 , May 12, 2002
            Hi all,

            I've posted a number of book reviews and articles related to Brian's A New
            Kind of Christian under

            McLaren's A New Kind of Christian

            which is under

            Postmodernism and its Impact on Evangelicalism

            @

            http://www.faithmaps.org/pomophilarticles.htm

            I'm cross-posting this note to Finding Faith, faithmaps, and NKOC, so some
            of you will not doubt get it more than once!

            "tools for navigating theology,
            leadership, discipleship and
            church life in postmodernity"
            over 500 links and articles