Re: raising children to find faith

  • briancrcc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 22, 2000
      In a message dated 5/22/00 8:30:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      taxbill@... writes:

      <<
      As far as God as "parent" and not "machine operator" and does it make
      sense? Well, Yes it make sense but to me some problems arise in it.
      Yes my goal is to raise independent children and I try to encourage
      them to think for themselves and make good decisions and accept
      responsibility for those decisions but I have my line where I step in
      and protect. In other words if someone is beating up on my kids as
      much as I want them to learn how to deal with their own hard
      situations at some point I will if it is possible step in and become
      the machine operator. Particularly if what they are experiencing is
      not the result of consequences of bad decision making. When I look
      at an evil situation such as the holocost I think why didn't this god
      parent intervene more quickly. But I suppose who's to argue will all
      knowing, all powerful parenting?
      Also if he is more parent and less machine operator what is that
      saying about God being all powerful because as a parent I am
      certainly not all powerful but I like to have some sense that God is
      in control when bad stuff happens. >>

      Connie -- good points. The machine operator metaphor has limitations, but so
      does the parental metaphor, as you point out! I feel the same way as you
      when I think about the holocaust and other tragedies. When you ask, "Who's
      to argue," I wonder if God wouldn't actually expect us to voice our
      heartbreak about these situations, and to raise our "why?" to God, not as an
      accusation and maybe not even as a question expecting an answer, but as an
      expression of sympathy with our fellow humans, and an expression of desire
      that the suffering and injustice will end.

      Brian
    • taxbill@wncol.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2000
        > Connie -- good points. The machine operator metaphor has
        limitations, but so
        > does the parental metaphor, as you point out! I feel the same way
        as you
        > when I think about the holocaust and other tragedies. When you
        ask, "Who's
        > to argue," I wonder if God wouldn't actually expect us to voice our
        > heartbreak about these situations, and to raise our "why?" to God,
        not as an
        > accusation and maybe not even as a question expecting an answer,
        but as an
        > expression of sympathy with our fellow humans, and an expression of
        desire
        > that the suffering and injustice will end.
        >
        > Brian

        When you talk about voicing our heart break you make a good point
        until I look at scrtipture and God's response to 2 people who raised
        their why Abraham and Job (Job 39and 39 ish) and (Gen.18:16-33) God
        bargins with Abraham but pretty much says to Job who are you to
        question me? Granted Job comes off as an accuser; who wouldn't have
        under the circumstances? Anyway it is this kind of thing that is
        frustrating to me in the bible. In the past I have definately had a
        knowledge before faith mentality and it has caused problems because
        our actual knowledge is so limited. We are so limited. Any way I am
        coming to a place of faith that is christ centered rather than
        knowledge based and I think that is a good thing but it leaves me
        with this frustrating thing of how do I handle the bible. There are
        those who say that's easy it is the absolute authoratative word of
        God. But for absolute and authoratative it sure does frustrate and
        confuse me with all it's tensions and veiw points. At times I want
        to throw it out because of this. But if my faith is christ centered
        then it must have some value because it is where I find the story of
        christ. Any thoughts on all of this anyone?