what a book

  • Nancy Stingi
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2000
      The book I was referring to was Finding Faith by Brian McLaren. I
      was under the impression that that was the purpose of this particular
      group - to discuss/respond to Finding Faith. I'm a novice at this
      eGroup thing. I also realized after responding and then reading
      other responses that the Finding Faith furor has died down. However,
      having just finished the book, I'm very enthusiastic to discuss it.
      I'm still taken with how it's changing my perspective. I am
      recommending it to my believing and non-believing friends as food for
      thought. I like the way Brian emphasizes conversations vs.
      conversions.

      I've just started Reinventing Your Church. (now I'll really be a
      year or two behind the cutting edge) Our church is in the middle of
      what's called a refocusing where we're taking a good hard look at who
      we are, why we are and what we need to become. Again, Brian's books
      are extremely helpful in raising the questions of why the church and
      who is the church. For sure, Jesus would not be pleased with our
      general attitudes of exclusivity. Because the church I attend opens
      its doors to addicts and the broken, it would be easy to think that
      we could never be guilty of exclusion and judgment. But I'm afraid
      that might not be as true as I'd like to think. So again, thanks,
      Brian for your thought provoking and conversation stimulatiing books.
      nmstingi
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2000
        Hi Nancy! Conversation here definitely tends to go in spirts!

        <<I'm still taken with how it's changing my perspective.>>

        How has it changed your thinking?

        <<Our church is in the middle of
        what's called a refocusing where we're taking a good hard look at who
        we are, why we are and what we need to become. >>

        Where do you think your church is going to? What denom or tradition is it?

        Stephen Shields
        Cedar Ridge Community Church
        stephens@...
        http://www.crcc.org

[...]

        Get paid for the stuff you know!
        Get answers for the stuff you don’t. And get $10 to spend on the site!
        http://click.egroups.com/1/2200/4/_/25154/_/955499200/
      • briancrcc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 11, 2000
          Nanci -- so glad to hear the books are helpful, both personally and
          organizationally. Keep up the good work! -- Brian
        • Nancy Stingi
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 14, 2000
            These are some of the ways Brian's books are changing my thinking.I'm reluctant to admit this, but ever since Jesus came into my lifeinthe powerful way I described, I found it very hard to appreciateorvalue other religions. I had this feeling like, "oh these peoplearedeceived," and instead of my wanting to draw closer to them orlearnfrom them or anything, I had a desire to draw back - injudgment, Ihate to admit. Suddenly, after reading Finding Faith, Iam able tosee it differently. I now feel able to say/think, "OK,you believethis and I believe something else - I can learn from youandappreciate the good things you bring to the table." An example ofthis type of thinking would be last summer when the Dali Lama(excusethe spelling) came to NYC. I thought Oh, how could all thesepeoplebe so taken w/ this? Now I can see - it might be because herepresents the Gospel message better than many Christians,certainlybetter than most high profile Christians.I also am changingmy perspective on evangelism. I'm a fairly newChristian. In NewYork, Born Again Christians are openly mocked andbashed. I was oneof the mockers and bashers, trust me. Knowing my narrow-mindedprejudices my Christian friend guided me along gently. I never said"The Sinner's Prayer" or anything like that. I was mentored bysomeone who taught me some Christian basics like praying,reading theBible, tithing, etc., and I began to experience somepeace in my life- a highly unfamiliar thing. I started going tothis church (VineyardChristian Fellowship) and even got baptized. One day someone Iworked with said, "Well, you're a born again Christian so you mightknow this..." and then she asked me aquestion. That was how I foundout I was "born again". I hadn'tknown. I only was beginning to knowGod as he revealed himself tome. This is a long story and it's goingto get longer. So that wasmy conversion experience. I'm apostmodern in that regard. I couldcare less about proof, facts,figures, ap