9Re: A Foundation for Exploring

  • Harper Michelle
    Dec 21, 1999
      When I started this search it was very freighting. Before it was so easy to
      say " I am a Christian, and I believe God exists.", but that was all I had
      done with it. I had not explored what that meant, or even made a commitment
      to either God or to Myself.

      So When I began this I was afraid that I didn't have the tools, or knowledge
      to make this commitment. I had no idea how to categorize my feelings, what
      I believed in, what was right and wrong for me. I wasn't even sure how to
      invite God into my life. As I started reading "Finding Faith" I found that
      Brian McLaren touched on almost every question I had. I found that a lot of
      my beliefs (things that I had learned in my own experiences, and not just
      what people had taught me), was a foundation for my faith.

      This foundation is my basic belief, which is God exists, and that he is
      personal. The foundation is created by things that I have experienced,
      learned, and have been taught thought out my upbringing. The reason that I
      wasn't sure if I had the tools, was because I have never grouped these
      things together and examined them. Once I started this, I started seeing
      how these things were with me. I did believe in God, and I did think that I
      could have a personal relationship with him. I was able to start my quest
      with this information.

      So now this is where I believe the commitment comes in, because now that I
      have decided that I do have these things inside me I now have to use them to
      build this relationship. I now will have to work to build the kind of
      personal relationship with God that I want. Build a faith that I can feel
      comfortable and strong about. The book, "Finding Faith" helped with that
      foundation.

      Michelle L Harper
      John Deere Credit
      Service Representative Ag Columbus Team