371Excerpt: Brian McLaren / Emergent Church

  • Steve O'Keefe
    May 4, 2005
      I have permission from Jossey-Bass to distribute an excerpt
      from Brian McLaren's new book, "The Last Word and The Word
      After That." A leader in the emergent church movement,
      McLaren was interviewed by Larry King on February 1, 2005,
      after Time Magazine named him one of the 25 most
      influential evangelicals in America.

      "The Last Word" is the third and final book in McLaren's
      "New Kind of Christian" trilogy. It combines deceptively
      entertaining fiction with scholarly research and Socratic
      dialogue. In the excerpt I am distributing, McLaren says,
      "I am more interested in generating conversation than
      argument."

      Indeed, the book is presented as a series of conversations
      about hell. According to one character, "Millions of
      people, young and old, have given up on Christianity
      because our way of talking about hell sounds absolutely
      wacky. 'God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your
      life,' we say, 'and he'll fry your butt in hell forever
      unless you do or believe the right thing'... No wonder
      Christianity -- or that version of it -- is a dying
      religion in so many places in the world."

      I have uploaded the excerpt to the Files section of this
      group's website, under the filename "excerpt.txt."

      If you'd like to join the conversation, I invite you to
      participate in Brian McLaren's Blog Tour beginning May 9
      at these locations:

      Tall Skinny Kiwi <http://tallskinnykiwi.typepad.com/>
      Jordon Cooper's Blog <http://www.jordoncooper.com/>
      Jen Lemen's Blog <http://www.jenlemen.com/>