The Mystery of Natalie Wood

  • Emily McDade
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
      I first wanted to see this because Justine Waddell, one of my favorite actresses, stars in it. But then I read the biography by Suzanne Finstad that this production is mostly based on and I was hooked on the life of one of Hollywood's most famous actresses.

      The Mystery of Natalie Wood (TV Movie)

      the Cast: Justine Waddell (Natalie Wood): Justine was fantastic, one of the best performances of hers that I have seen. Her performance was never stagnant as she portrayed Natalie's transition from childlike naivete to a dark adult depression. Alice Krige (Maria Gurdin): A wonderfully creepy performance as the strict mother of the star. Michael Weatherly (Robert Wagner): He does very well as the man Natalie married twice.

      the Plot: A gypsy told a Russian woman, Maria Gurdin, that her daughter would be "world famous". Maria forced her child into acting and soon her daughter became Natalie Wood. Her career included such films as "Miracle on 34th Street", "Rebel Without a Cause", "Splendor in the Grass", and "West Side Story". Natalie had a fear of water throughout her life and her life ended in it, a death steeped in controversy.

      Fave Scenes: Natalie talks with her mother on the phone about Marilyn Monroe's death. Natalie yells at her mother when she starts treating Natalie's daughters like actresses. These two scenes were my favorite Justine moments in this production.

      Overall Impression: I thought the interviews with Natalie's friends and family, actual footage, and photos were great additions to the acting. There was some over emotional acting which from what I have watched, tends to be the norm in ABC TV Movies. However, the faulty acting was not prominent in this production. I think it followed Finstad's biography very well, there were a lot of moments that I remembered reading about in the book. It is a wonderful production that makes me want to watch more Natalie Wood movies and for that matter, more Justine Waddell movies.

      Final Score: ****/*****

      -Emily

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Lawrence Jones
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
        Who played the part of Christopher Walken?!?

        On 2 Mar 2004 at 8:59, Emily McDade wrote:

        > I first wanted to see this because Justine Waddell, one of my favorite
        > actresses, stars in it. But then I read the biography by Suzanne
        > Finstad that this production is mostly based on and I was hooked on
        > the life of one of Hollywood's most famous actresses.
        >
        > The Mystery of Natalie Wood (TV Movie)
        >
        > the Cast: Justine Waddell (Natalie Wood): Justine was fantastic, one
        > of the best performances of hers that I have seen. Her performance was
        > never stagnant as she portrayed Natalie's transition from childlike
        > naivete to a dark adult depression. Alice Krige (Maria Gurdin): A
        > wonderfully creepy performance as the strict mother of the star.
        > Michael Weatherly (Robert Wagner): He does very well as the man
        > Natalie married twice.
        >
        > the Plot: A gypsy told a Russian woman, Maria Gurdin, that her
        > daughter would be "world famous". Maria forced her child into acting
        > and soon her daughter became Natalie Wood. Her career included such
        > films as "Miracle on 34th Street", "Rebel Without a Cause", "Splendor
        > in the Grass", and "West Side Story". Natalie had a fear of water
        > throughout her life and her life ended in it, a death steeped in
        > controversy.
        >
        > Fave Scenes: Natalie talks with her mother on the phone about Marilyn
        > Monroe's death. Natalie yells at her mother when she starts treating
        > Natalie's daughters like actresses. These two scenes were my favorite
        > Justine moments in this production.
        >
        > Overall Impression: I thought the interviews with Natalie's friends
        > and family, actual footage, and photos were great additions to the
        > acting. There was some over emotional acting which from what I have
        > watched, tends to be the norm in ABC TV Movies. However, the faulty
        > acting was not prominent in this production. I think it followed
        > Finstad's biography very well, there were a lot of moments that I
        > remembered reading about in the book. It is a wonderful production
        > that makes me want to watch more Natalie Wood movies and for that
        > matter, more Justine Waddell movies.
        >
        > Final Score: ****/*****
        >
        > -Emily

        > Yahoo! Search - Find what you’re looking for faster.
      • Emily
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
          --- In filmemporium@yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence Jones" <lrjones@u...>
          wrote:
          > Who played the part of Christopher Walken?!?

          Malcolm Kennard. He did well imitating Chris' voice.

          -Emily