Oscar Nominations.

  • Scott Ramsay
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
      Hi,

      Here they are. Some surprises here, Cold Mountain struck almost completely out (face it, it's not that good anyway). In America does well. I think Return of the King leads the field with 12 noms. Here you go -

      ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
      Johnny Depp - PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL
      Ben Kingsley - HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG
      Jude Law - COLD MOUNTAIN
      Bill Murray - LOST IN TRANSLATION
      Sean Penn - MYSTIC RIVER

      ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
      Alec Baldwin - THE COOLER
      Benicio Del Toro - 21 GRAMS
      Djimon Hounsou - IN AMERICA
      Tim Robbins - MYSTIC RIVER
      Ken Watanabe - THE LAST SAMURAI

      ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
      Keisha Castle-Hughes - WHALE RIDER
      Diane Keaton - SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE
      Samantha Morton - IN AMERICA
      Charlize Theron - MONSTER
      Naomi Watts - 21 GRAMS

      ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
      Shohreh Aghdashloo - HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG
      Patricia Clarkson - PIECES OF APRIL
      Marcia Gay Harden - MYSTIC RIVER
      Holly Hunter - THIRTEEN
      Renée Zellweger - COLD MOUNTAIN

      ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
      BROTHER BEAR
      FINDING NEMO
      THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE

      ART DIRECTION
      GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING
      THE LAST SAMURAI
      THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
      MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
      SEABISCUIT

      CINEMATOGRAPHY
      CITY OF GOD
      COLD MOUNTAIN
      GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING
      MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
      SEABISCUIT

      COSTUME DESIGN
      GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING
      THE LAST SAMURAI
      THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
      MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
      SEABISCUIT

      DIRECTING
      CITY OF GOD
      THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
      LOST IN TRANSLATION
      MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
      MYSTIC RIVER

      DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
      BALSEROS
      CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS
      THE FOG OF WAR
      MY ARCHITECT
      THE WEATHER UNDERGROUND

      DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
      ASYLUM
      CHERNOBYL HEART
      FERRY TALES

      FILM EDITING
      CITY OF GOD
      COLD MOUNTAIN
      THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
      MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
      SEABISCUIT

      FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
      THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS
      EVIL
      THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI
      TWIN SISTERS
      ŽELARY

      MAKEUP
      THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
      MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
      PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL

      MUSIC (SCORE)
      BIG FISH
      COLD MOUNTAIN
      FINDING NEMO
      HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG
      THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

      MUSIC (SONG)
      "Into the West" - THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
      "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" - A MIGHTY WIND
      "Scarlet Tide" - COLD MOUNTAIN
      "The Triplets of Belleville" - THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE
      "You Will Be My Ain True Love" - COLD MOUNTAIN

      BEST PICTURE
      THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
      LOST IN TRANSLATION
      MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
      MYSTIC RIVER
      SEABISCUIT

      SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
      BOUNDIN'
      DESTINO
      GONE NUTTY
      HARVIE KRUMPET
      NIBBLES

      SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)
      DIE ROTE JACKE (The Red Jacket)
      MOST (The Bridge)
      SQUASH
      (A) TORZIJA ([A] Torsion)
      TWO SOLDIERS

      SOUND
      THE LAST SAMURAI
      THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
      MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
      PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL
      SEABISCUIT

      SOUND EDITING
      FINDING NEMO
      MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
      PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL

      VISUAL EFFECTS
      THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
      MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
      PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL

      WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
      AMERICAN SPLENDOR
      CITY OF GOD
      THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
      MYSTIC RIVER
      SEABISCUIT

      WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
      THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS
      DIRTY PRETTY THINGS
      FINDING NEMO
      IN AMERICA
      LOST IN TRANSLATION

      :-)

      Regards,

      Scott.

      "My friends... you bow to no one."

      Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, (2003).

      ---
    • Haristas@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
        In a message dated 1/27/04 9:01:03 AM Eastern Standard Time, darth.statto@... writes:

        BEST PICTURE
        THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
        LOST IN TRANSLATION
        MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
        MYSTIC RIVER
        SEABISCUIT

        How IN AMERICA got skipped I don't know!

        -- Rory
      • Matthew Totsky
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
          Rory wrote:

          <<How IN AMERICA got skipped I don't know!>>

          Oh, I'm sure they did that just to piss you off!

          Matt (who hasn't seen enough of the nominated films to
          comment on the list)
        • Haristas@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
            In a message dated 1/27/04 7:34:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, mtotsky@... writes:

            Oh, I'm sure they did that just to piss you off!

            Hey!  I'm not pissed off!
          • Scott Ramsay
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2006
              Hi,

              Well Pete done well with his predictions, some were even in the correct
              order they were announced! Here is the full list -

              Best Motion Picture of the Year
              Nominees:
              Brokeback Mountain (2005) - Diana Ossana, James Schamus
              Capote (2005) - Caroline Baron, William Vince, Michael Ohoven
              Crash (2004) - Paul Haggis, Cathy Schulman
              Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005) - Grant Heslov
              Munich (2005) - Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy, Barry Mendel

              Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
              Nominees:
              Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote (2005)
              Terrence Howard for Hustle & Flow (2005)
              Heath Ledger for Brokeback Mountain (2005)
              Joaquin Phoenix for Walk the Line (2005)
              David Strathairn for Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)

              Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
              Nominees:
              Judi Dench for Mrs. Henderson Presents (2005)
              Felicity Huffman for Transamerica (2005)
              Keira Knightley for Pride & Prejudice (2005)
              Charlize Theron for North Country (2005)
              Reese Witherspoon for Walk the Line (2005)

              Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
              Nominees:
              George Clooney for Syriana (2005)
              Matt Dillon for Crash (2004)
              Paul Giamatti for Cinderella Man (2005)
              Jake Gyllenhaal for Brokeback Mountain (2005)
              William Hurt for A History of Violence (2005)

              Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
              Nominees:
              Amy Adams for Junebug (2005)
              Catherine Keener for Capote (2005)
              Frances McDormand for North Country (2005)
              Rachel Weisz for The Constant Gardener (2005)
              Michelle Williams for Brokeback Mountain (2005)

              Best Achievement in Directing
              Nominees:
              George Clooney for Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)
              Paul Haggis for Crash (2004)
              Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain (2005)
              Bennett Miller for Capote (2005)
              Steven Spielberg for Munich (2005)

              Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
              Nominees:
              Crash (2004) - Paul Haggis, Robert Moresco
              Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005) - George Clooney, Grant Heslov
              Match Point (2005) - Woody Allen
              The Squid and the Whale (2005) - Noah Baumbach
              Syriana (2005) - Stephen Gaghan

              Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
              Nominees:
              Brokeback Mountain (2005) - Larry McMurtry, Diana Ossana
              Capote (2005) - Dan Futterman
              The Constant Gardener (2005) - Jeffrey Caine
              A History of Violence (2005) - Josh Olson
              Munich (2005) - Tony Kushner, Eric Roth

              Best Achievement in Cinematography
              Nominees:
              Batman Begins (2005) - Wally Pfister
              Brokeback Mountain (2005) - Rodrigo Prieto
              Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005) - Robert Elswit
              Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - Dion Beebe
              The New World (2005) - Emmanuel Lubezki

              Best Achievement in Editing
              Nominees:
              The Constant Gardener (2005) - Claire Simpson
              Crash (2004) - Hughes Winborne
              Munich (2005) - Michael Kahn
              Walk the Line (2005) - Michael McCusker
              Cinderella Man (2005) - Daniel P. Hanley, Mike Hill

              Best Achievement in Art Direction
              Nominees:
              Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005) - James D. Bissell, Jan Pascale
              King Kong (2005) - Grant Major, Dan Hennah, Simon Bright
              Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - John Myhre, Gretchen Rau
              Pride & Prejudice (2005) - Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer
              Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) - Stuart Craig,
              Stephanie McMillan

              Best Achievement in Costume Design
              Nominees:
              Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - Colleen Atwood
              Walk the Line (2005) - Arianne Phillips
              Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) - Gabriella Pescucci
              Mrs. Henderson Presents (2005) - Sandy Powell
              Pride & Prejudice (2005) - Jacqueline Durran

              Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
              Nominees:
              Brokeback Mountain (2005) - Gustavo Santaolalla
              The Constant Gardener (2005) - Alberto Iglesias
              Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - John Williams
              Munich (2005) - John Williams
              Pride & Prejudice (2005) - Dario Marianelli

              Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
              Nominees:
              Hustle & Flow (2005) ("It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp")
              Crash (2004) ("In the Deep")
              Transamerica (2005) ("Travelin' Thru")

              Best Achievement in Makeup
              Nominees:
              The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
              (2005) - Howard Berger, Nikki Gooley
              Cinderella Man (2005)
              Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)

              Best Achievement in Sound
              Nominees:
              The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
              (2005) - Terry Porter, Dean A. Zupancic, Tony Johnson
              King Kong (2005) - Christopher Boyes, Michael Semanick, Michael
              Hedges, Hammond Peek
              Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - Kevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell, Rick
              Kline, John Pritchett
              Walk the Line (2005) - Paul Massey, Doug Hemphill, Peter F. Kurland
              War of the Worlds (2005) - Andy Nelson, Anna Behlmer, Ron Judkins

              Best Achievement in Sound Editing
              Nominees:
              King Kong (2005) - Mike Hopkins, Ethan Van der Ryn
              Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - Wylie Stateman
              War of the Worlds (2005) - Richard King

              Best Achievement in Visual Effects
              Nominees:
              The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
              (2005) - Dean Wright, Bill Westenhofer, Jim Berney, Scott Farrar
              King Kong (2005) - Joe Letteri
              War of the Worlds (2005) - Pablo Helman, Dennis Muren, Randy Dutra,
              Daniel Sudick

              Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
              Nominees:
              Corpse Bride (2005) - Tim Burton, Mike Johnson
              Hauru no ugoku shiro (2004) - Hayao Miyazaki
              Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) - Steve
              Box, Nick Park

              Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
              Nominees:
              Joyeux Noël (2005) (France)
              Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage (2005) (Germany)
              Paradise Now (2005) (Palestine)
              Tsotsi (2005) (South Africa)
              Don't Tell (2005) (Italy)

              Best Documentary, Features
              Nominees:
              Darwin's Nightmare (2004)
              Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005)
              Marche de l'empereur, La (2005)
              Murderball (2005)
              Street Fight (2005)

              Best Documentary, Short Subjects
              Nominees:
              God Sleeps in Rwanda (2005)
              A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin (2005)
              The Life of Kevin Carter (2004)
              The Mushroom Club

              Best Short Film, Animated
              Nominees:
              Badgered (2005) - Sharon Colman
              The Moon and the Son (2005) - John Canemaker, Peggy Stern
              One Man Band (2005) - Mark Andrews, Andrew Jimenez
              The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello (2005) -
              Anthony Lucas
              9 (2005) - Shane Acker

              Best Short Film, Live Action
              Nominees:
              Ausreißer (2004)
              Cashback (2004)
              Síðasti bærinn í dalnum (2004)
              Our Time Is Up (2004)
              Six Shooter (2005)

              --
              Regards,

              Scott.

              "The only reason you are not unconscious is because I don't want to
              carry you",
              Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer in 24, Season 5.

              DAMMIT!
            • ghadeer
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
                Hi
                My best wishes to George Clooney, he is Really the MAN of 2005.
                I didn�t see Good night, good luck and Syriana yet, but I will before the ceremony In Shaa Allah.

                I�m so excited that the Palestinian �Paradise now� Got nominated,
                Didn�t see it either, and I think that I won�t like the theme of it, I mean it can�t have a nomination unless it approaches �some issues� that the Academy approves of, thinks, and Politically agrees with. Anyway, I�m proud that the name �Palestine� is mentioned in such an important event,
                Good luck to Palestine.

                Salam
                Ghadeer

                Europe will never understand what the Prophet Muhammad-Peace be upon him-means to us Muslims. The gap is growing , it�s a shame .