The Incredibles, St. Elmo's Fire & Sling Blade.

  • Scott Ramsay
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2004
      Hi,

      The Incredibles, (2004) - 6/10
      Superheroes are living amongst us. But, when Mr Incredible saves someone
      who doesn't want to be saved the Supers are forced into hiding and
      forbidden to save the world. 15 years later and Mr Incredible is stuck
      in a dead end job and a dead end marriage. That is until a mysterious
      message tempts him back into superdom.

      A miss-step from Pixar this one. Whilst it is for the most part a fairly
      entertaining superhero action romp, that's pretty much all it is.
      Nothing lies below the surface and the characters are 2 dimensional at
      best with no history to make them stand out from the crowd. Their powers
      are blatant copies of established comic book heroes and the wife and
      kids are just plain irritating. In addition some of the action sequences
      seem flat and lifeless.

      On the plus side the design of the film is gorgeous. An ultra kitsch
      blend of 50's/60's style with classic bond. The score is again bond
      flavoured with soaring brass and strings at just the right moments,
      great stuff there. Samuel L. Jackson as frozone steals the show, but is
      barely used, the film preferring to focus on the Incredible family and
      the incredibly annoying costume designer (why such a big role? Ah, I
      know, the voice is done by director Brad Bird........)

      In the Pixar big picture it comes ahead of Monsters Inc, just behind A
      Bugs Life and a country mile behind Finding Nemo and both Toy Story's.

      St. Elmo's Fire, (1986) - 7/10
      A group of College grads find life outside of school hard to adjust to
      in the mid 1980's.

      I had never seen this flick before and enjoyed a lot considering it has
      aged poorly (as have many films from the 80's). The various interactions
      between the friends seemed real to me, as I have seen similar things
      happen in my circle of friends.

      The cast are all familiar, making up what was known at the time as The
      Brat Pack. Only Demi Moore is still on the scene and her star is far
      from as bright as it was. Still, all perform well and I always thought
      that Andrew McCarthy was an actor that deserved more than his career
      delivered.

      It's the music and the fashions that date this film though. Some of the
      fashions are just ludicrous and the whole 'yuppie' thing is so old.
      Still, the performances and the writing shine through and this is a nice
      slice of drama that is well worth seeking out.

      Sling Blade, (1996) - 8/10
      Billy Bob Thornton stars as Carl, a retard released from mental hospital
      after serving his time for brutally murdering his mother and her lover
      at the age of 12. Now 29, Carl gets work at a garage and befriends a
      small boy and his mother. However the threat of him returning to
      violence is always bubbling under.

      Thornton really knocks this one out of the park, both his writing and
      acting are incredibly strong. As Carl he is never anything more than
      convincing, even seemingly able to distort his now famous features to
      create a whole new character. His speech pattern is unique and has been
      imitated numerous times since the films release.

      Always nice to see JT Walsh in a small supporting role at the start and
      end of the movie. Lucas Black is the other stand out as the young boy
      who is struggling with his abusive stepfather.

      Thornton creates a believable, likeable character in Carl and through
      his writing creates a believable world where we root for him to be happy
      and get on with his life in peace. But, he also creates a sense that
      given the right circumstance Carl may regress horribly. It's this knife
      edge that carries on throughout the film and makes for a heart breaking
      ending.

      Regards,

      Scott.

      "Remember. There's no I in Team America!"
      "....... Yes there is"

      Team America: World Police, (2004).
    • veetus@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2004
        Of the "Brat Pack", I guess Rob Lowe is doing the best. Two failed series,
        yes, but his time on "West Wing" made him a household name again. Demi Moore
        bombed in "Charlie's Angels 2". - - - Jeff