Preview of the Upcoming Year

  • Emily McDade
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2004
      Summer, for me, is almost over and so it is time for me to give you a preview of what I am looking forward to in the upcoming year in movies. I have checked several fall previews in newspapers and Entertainment Weekly. I have also checked Internet Movie Database for a full list of what is supposedly being released for the rest of 2004 and early 2005. Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot that is sparking my interest. So instead of giving you a list of movies that I am mostly half-heartedly interested in, I decided to just tell you about the two that I have been waiting to see for a long time.

      Bride and Prejudice (USA: December 25)
      The Bollywood (India's film industry, the movies with lots of song and dance numbers and melodrama) version of Jane Austen's classic novel "Pride and Prejudice". In this modern version the heroine is Indian and the hero is American.
      Why: Jane Austen is basically worshiped in my family and "Pride and Prejudice" is basically my family's bible. The director, Gurinder Chadha, also directed "Bend It Like Beckham" which I adore, so I have a lot of faith in her. I am very interested in Indian culture and I think this story will work well in its setting.

      The Phantom of the Opera (USA: December 25)
      The film version of Andrew Lloyd Webber's stage musical. The musical based on Gaston Leroux' classic novel about the disfigured man who wreaks havoc in an opera house.
      Why: It's one of the musicals of my childhood and one of my favorite musicals still.

      The question is since both of these are released on the same day which one will I see first? Well, I think that depends on whether or not both of them will be playing at a nearby theater on December 25th. But if they both are, it will definitely be a tough choice.

      -Emily

      Do you Yahoo!?