English translation of Payapang Daigdig or Ang Gabing Payapa

  • fbguevara
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2008
      Hello to my fellow Fil-Am grp. Our choir here at
      church (us, the filipinos) wanted to add this song to our prelude
      songs before advent or xmas midnight mass. I saw some samples in
      youtube. Does anyone know or if anyone can get official translation
      of this in english? I saw some history of this shared by one of my
      filipino friend.. that it became like Christmas song version of
      Silent Night.. (thought lyrics is not about Xmas or nativity)..
      It sounds nice.. The Simbang Gabi choir here sings this one too.
      Thanks.
      Francis

      "Filipino composer and National Artist Awardee Felipe Padilla De Leon
      wrote “Payapang Daigdig” the morning after he saw that bombs
      during the Second World War had leveled the entire city of Manila.

      When the Philippines was liberated from the Japanese invasion in
      1946, Prof. Felipe de Leon of Nueva Ecija came up with a Christmas
      song called "Payapang Daigdig." Brigido Batungbakal and Eduardo de
      Leon provided the lyrics.

      Payapang Daigdig" was composed by Felipe Padilla de Leon after World
      War II and has since been considered as our version of "Silent Night"
      even if the lyrics are clearly not about Christmas
    • rita schaljo
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2008
        Hi there,
        I was a member of UP Kasarinlan, a music ensemble led by Prof. Felipe de Leon Jr. at UP Diliman and according to him, Payapang Daigdig was composed by his father for the inauguration of the United Nations.
        I don't know about an English translation. I could ask around.
        Rita