Re: SUSUK ~ ucapan & lagu lalala.. [YOUTUBE]

  • ajami hashim
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 31, 2008
    • Hassan Abd Muthalib
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
        So, what is the similarity between SUSUK (Amir Muhamad/Naeim Ghalili) and KAKI BAKAR? (U-Wei Hajisaari).

        "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?"

      • Hassan Abd Muthalib
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008

          The mayhem isn’t only in SUSUK. Get a load of the massacre of the King’s English on the website of Festival Filem Malaysia ! Maybe we should get HINDRAF’s help for the rewriting.

          <The 21st Malaysian Film Festival is the pinnacle event in Malaysian Film Industry. This year’s festival is the 21st in the Malaysian Film Festival series. Striving towards the festival celebration this year, the Penang Island is chosen to host for the 21st Malaysian Film Festival instead of its customary host, Kuala Lumpur .
          The festival is aspired to commemorate the success of people in the filming industries and inspire efforts in elevating the nation’s filming industries eminence along with the ambition of promoting the careers in the filming discipline as an admirable preference for the young scholarly generations and artists, who are more creative and full of determinations.

          OBJECTIVE

          The 21st Malaysian Film Festival strives to honour artists and the selected most excellent film work to inculcate the development of Malaysian filming industries, alongside the continuous effort in promoting society quintessence in films and to promote local films to international echelon.

           THEME
          The theme for the 21st Malaysian Film Festival is ‘TOWARDS MALAYSIAN FILMS EXCELLENCE’. The theme is intended to convey awareness of the people of the filming industries to focus towards improving their skills in producing their handiwork, so that the future end products will gain the international level productions and recognitions.>

        • Hassan Abd Muthalib
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 6, 2008
            This is it! SUSUK begins its run at cinemas today.

            If there's one film that you should not miss this year, it's Amir Muhamad/Naeim Ghalili's SUSUK. A film that does not demean its audience but instead, invites them to be involved in the storytelling. This is one film that gets better with a second viewing (perhaps it's even a requisite because you will tend to be aware of more elements of the storytelling).

            SUSUK began as an idea which then went round the world on a quest for its Story Treatment. Amir & Naeim conducted a competition & posted it on the Net. They had participation from as far as South America, Italy & the USA. Finally, Bijesh Jayarajan & Rajesh Nair from India were chosen to do the Story Treatment from which Amir, Naeim & Amri Rohayat fashioned the screenplay.Kek Ting Lam's production design is a joy. Attention to details & authencity make SUSUK a visual feast. Therein lies the plausability of the narrative. Hardesh's music is soft & understated but foreboding.

            Like Christopher Nolan's MEMENTO & Tarantino's PULP FICTION, the story's end is actually the beginning. Weavies in & out of a dual timeline, SUSUK takes you on a journey to meet characters who don't meet, finally culminating in a bizarre ritual from which the protagonist tries to escape, never having anticipated where it would all lead to in her desire for the susuk keramat.

            Pay close attention to the 2 dukun - Dukun Effendi & Dukun Dewangga. Upon them rests the real meaning of the story. Who do they really represent? What evil are they conjuring? While Luis Bunuel's DISCREET CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISE & David Lynch's MULHOLLAND DRIVE was about their character's split personality, SUSUK's characters are disturbingly close to reality.

            SUSUK is destined to go into the annals of film academia & is worthy of study. But it is upon the local audience that SUSUK will have to now depend on for its existence. Like Dukun Dewangga who is able to transform base metal into gold, can Amir & Naeim perform the same sleight of hand with the local audience?

          • Misi 1511
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 7, 2008

              --- Pada Jum, 8/8/08, yasmintanyl <yasmin@...> menulis:
              Daripada: yasmintanyl <yasmin@...>
              Subjek: [malaysian-cinema] re: SUSUK
              Kepada: malaysian-cinema@yahoogroups.com
              Tarikh: Jumaat, 8 Ogos, 2008, 1:57 AM

              I just came out of "Susuk".

              To me, in it's barest form, "Susuk" is the story of people who would stop at nothing to get to the top, and having reached it, refuse to come down.

              I'm not saying it's a political satire; I'm saying it's a satire on those most destructive of human foibles: greed and vanity.

              What a relief to watch a Malay horror film that despite not taking itself too seriously, was seriously spooky in parts. This, as opposed to many Asian horror flicks, local or otherwise, that DO take themselves seriously, but leave me guffawing inside.

              I won't say if "Susuk" is a good film or not (because I don't know what a good film is, and I prefer to leave such solemn foolery to some of the local critics), but what I CAN say is that I liked it very much.

              The kitsch art direction that was bursting with its makers' wicked sense of humour; the
              homage to Argento, Almodovar, Lon Chaney and Bela Lugosi; the shameless but totally
              knowing and tongue-in-cheek borrowing of images from "The Godfather", "Hellraiser" ,
              and countless others... all this led to a thoroughly enjoyable movie experience for me.

              Walking out of the cinema hall, I felt a strange sense of relief. "How lovely," I thought, "to
              watch a local film made by genuinely smart filmmakers who didn't have their heads up
              their own arses, and who seemed to have fun playing with film."

              Nice.

              Nama E-mel baru untuk anda!
              Dapatkan nama E-mel yang telah lama anda mahukan pada @ymail dan @rocketmail yang baru.
              Cepat sebelum orang lain mendapatkannya!
            • ajami hashim
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008