RE: [fhctech] Command AV username and local network

  • bill henderson
    Message 1 of 48 , May 6, 2006
      Message two:
      I haven't read my messages in the last couple days and started going through them top down (wrong direction) thus am a bit out of sync with all the traffic about this.
      I''ll only reply to the issues you brough up in your reply to Russelhtn.
      1. If you are getting error messages, I recommend you blow-off the entire Command AV software package and re-install it.  That way you are sure to get their latest Command AV and current updates, and it should get rid of the error messages.
      2. In my previous message I wondered how your network was configured.  This message tells me that your are running peer-to-peer between workstations.  This network type is called a mesh where everybody cross-connects to everybody else.  Think of your network as a seven-point star, where each computer a point of the star connecting to each of the other points of the star (if you go to wikipedia.org and look under network topology, the display labelled as "fully connected" describes what I am talking about. It is one of the most demanding of network resources of all of the topologies.
      Don't forget that each networked printer uses a connection out of the ten allowed per computer. If your printers are connected direcly to computers and "shared" to other computers then they should not use up an extra connection.  A networked printer feeds out of a little box (print server using an ethernet cable) and not directly connected to a computer.
      3. Windows 2000 is a business operating system like Window XP Pro.  It isn't friendly with Windows XP Home.  I have seen them work together sometime and not others.  For true compatibility, upgrade to Windows XP Pro on the computers using XP Home.  Alternately, don't connect to more than one other computer for resources. XP home computers will make a good net, XP Pro and Win2000 computers will make a good net, but not XP Home and Win2000.
      Bill H.

      "Terri J." <tjaskolka@...> wrote:
      Russell, thanks for your comments, my replies are included below.

      > > I am able to log in as admin and
      > > manually download and update the program.
      > When you say "manually" how is that?  By clicking "update
      > now" and letting the program use the user id/password it
      > already knows or some other method?  I'm wondering if there
      > is a possibility that the CAV was programed with a different
      > user ID/password then the one you know.

      That's what I mean, instead of letting the program do the autoupdate, I
      click on the "update now" button. BUT, there have been NO changes made to
      the password/username. The error message just started popping up, presumably
      because CAV was trying to do an autoupdate. Those settings have not been
      changed for some time, though (like since they were set up a couple of years
      ago). The error message is a recent anomaly.

      > > Now when we boot up all
      > > the computers, we get an error message that indicates the drive(s)
      > > being used as a server have all their connections used up and you
      > > can't establish a network connection.
      > Windows 2000 Pro when it is acting as a server has a limit of
      > 10 connections.  Each client will take one connection for
      > each type of service.
      > This limits you to 10 client computers.

      That's what puzzles me. We have 7 workstations total, but even so, had no
      problems until recently. And now ALL of the workstations (except the two
      working as servers) say they cannot connect. Does this mean that something
      is hogging all the connections? Oh, and does Windows XP Home have the same
      limitations? The workstations acting as servers use XP, not W2K.

      I just recently installed the LANDesk program from SLC on one of the XP
      computers. I wonder if that is causing problems? That is the only real
      changes I can think of having occurred recently (other than the recent
      Windows updates, there's another thought).

      > I've got a time sync command in my login script so the
      > workstations sync their clocks to the server.  The time sync
      > also takes up a connection - but only momentarily.  As a
      > result, if I boot up all 8 of our clients at one time I get
      > that message.  But if I wait a bit in starting up the last
      > few stations, I can avoid the problem.

      Sounds like a nice solution. Wish I knew how to do that. :)

      Thanks for the comments, it lets me know I've at least been thinking in the
      right direction, even if I've not found a solution yet.

      - Terri J.

    • Dana A. Repouille
      Message 48 of 48 , May 13, 2006
        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "rkatschke" <rkatschke@...> wrote:

        > 1. how does one scan a flash drive with CAV?

        Open My Computer
        Right-click on the icon used for your USB drive
        Choose AntiVirus Scan

        See the user's manual at
        page 3-33 (page 81 of 211)

        > 2. I don't see anything in their web pages or help files that
        suggests it also automatically scans executables prior to executing.
        Does anyone know if CAV uses such automatic scanning?

        Again from the user's manual:
        On-access Scanning – Protects your system from becoming infected
        between full scans. This on-access, "behind-the-scenes" protection is
        provided through Dynamic Virus Protection (DVP). DVP runs
        transparent, on-access scans of each program that is run or file that
        is opened.
        DVP is turned on by default and is set to disinfect when a virus
        infection is found. You can turn off DVP protection or change its on-
        access scanning properties through the Preferences menu of the
        Command AntiVirus Main dialog box. For more information, refer to
        Setting On-access Scanning Properties located later in this chapter.

        > 3. is there any merit to routinely manually scan floppies,
        > CDs, flash drives prior to reading PAF data, PAF backup files or
        Gedcom files?

        Not very much merit at all. Perhaps a little peace of mind.

        Dana in Omaha