Program List and Compatability - New Stake Geek

  • Kress Franzen
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2006
      Good day to all,
      Just got called to Stake Geek, just started investigating the setup of
      my stake's FHC (never been in there before, hate to admit)...
      And I'm curious if there is a listing anywhere in a concise,
      easily-digested format of all the applications that should be
      installed on a tip-top-shape FHC computer. Does such a list exist
      somewhere?
      I've been reading postings and what-not, but sheesh... I don't have
      hours to digest the tomes of troubleshooting info and such.

      We are going to need new PC's for our FHC, and I want to insure that
      everything will run on Windows XP, since I see that there are some old
      dos programs in the mix. It is nearly blasphemy in my book to
      purchase a brand new smokin' pc and install windows 2k on because the
      church says that windows xp is untested. It looks like some of you
      have tested and are using XP with all the older DOS programs, right?

      Thanks in advance... Look forward to participating more in the group.
      Kress Franzen
    • bill henderson
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2006
        HI;

        If you got into this mailing list, you probably know that fhctech.org has a lot of the info you want.  Check under "Applications" on the left side of the webpage. You also need to contact FHC Support (Salt Lake) at 800-346-6044 for additional help (like passwords for Command anti-virus, ancestry.com, & PAF Insight).  LDS Global Services supports your network and internet activities (mostly from your firewall out) phone: 866-678-2763.  One of the best things you can do is build a Network Admin Manual (sounds like nobody left you one when they moved on), to collect all your network info, setup and configuration documentation, general procedures, server/workstation configurations, & maintenance logs.  Much of this can be done on a computer or server, but you still need a paper (or CD) based manual in case your computer/server dies.

        10 months ago I was in the same position you are (ie. new and virtually no documentation).  Your question about a "concise" listing is a good one.  Maybe FHC Support (Salt Lake) or one of this group's "super-geeks" has one.  There seems to be a divergence of concensus about the FHC software and websites in this group.

         Using Windows XP versus other operating systems (OS) is a matter of finances as well as church approval.  If you move outside of the church's standards they won't/can't support you.  Windows 2000 is a good, stable OS and supports everything currently provided.  "Family Search" is the only DOS based application my FHC uses, and I just removed its icon from most of our research computers because some of the info is out-of-date and causes our patrons to order the wrong things.  At $6+ dollars an order neither they nor we can afford such mistakes.  I will keep it on one computer because it provides one or two features that are not as well supported on the web-based Family Search application.  Beyond that I don't know of any other DOS apps you shold be using.

        General note to group: maybe I misunderstood the message, but it sounded like somebody in the group mentioned using the DOS file system on a Windows 2000 computer.  If that is true,  please "convert" to NTFS file system.  Windows NT/2000/XP provides a utility called "convert.exe" in C:\windows\system32 folder that will make the conversion without harm to your existing files (as always, do a backup first whenever modifying your operating system).  DOS was fine for computers with 30 megabyte drives or floppy based computers.  But it is severely crippled with today's computers and operating systems (for example: a one-byte file can use up 32-kilobytes of disk space and a partition is limited to 4-gigbytes).  My Pedigree Resource File partition uses about 150-gigbytes at present.

        Anyway, welcome to the group,
        Bill Henderson

        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2006
          From: "bill henderson" <wch3120@...>
          "Family Search" is the only DOS based application my FHC uses, and I just
          removed its icon from most of our research computers because some of the
          info is out-of-date and causes our patrons to order the wrong things. At
          $6+ dollars an order neither they nor we can afford such mistakes. I will
          keep it on one computer because it provides one or two features that are not
          as well supported on the web-based Family Search application. Beyond that I
          don't know of any other DOS apps you should be using.

          There is no need to remove the icon to FamilySearch. You can edit the menu
          to remove access to the specific items no longer appropriate. I believe you
          can make the changes in the appropriate INI file, but you might need to run
          the installation again. By leaving FamilySearch available on all the
          computers you will not force someone who wants to use something like the
          Scottish Church records to work on a specific computer. If that one computer
          is already in use but others are available and then a patron comes in to use
          that resource, are you going to make the person already working pick up and
          move to an open one so the new person can use that specific machine?

          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2006
            From: "Kress Franzen" <kmfranzen@...>

            > We are going to need new PC's for our FHC, and I want to insure that
            > everything will run on Windows XP, since I see that there are some old
            > dos programs in the mix. It is nearly blasphemy in my book to
            > purchase a brand new smokin' pc and install windows 2k on because the
            > church says that windows xp is untested. It looks like some of you
            > have tested and are using XP with all the older DOS programs, right?
            >
            > Thanks in advance... Look forward to participating more in the group.
            > Kress Franzen

            Current rules from Salt Lake prohibit purchasing new computers from local
            funds. You can accept donations of computer equipment (meeting certain
            minimum guidelines for CPU speed and RAM) but FHC's are not allowed to
            "solicit" donations. And I believe you can accept cash donations to obtain
            computers, but the Church encourages such purchases be made through them to
            make it easier for them to assist and troubleshoot.

            Before moving on any upgrades or purchases you should become familier with
            the guidelines published for computer equipment.

            Gary Templeman
          • John Vilburn
            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2006
              > You also need to contact FHC Support (Salt Lake) at 800-346-6044 for
              > additional help (like passwords for Command anti-virus,
              ancestry.com, & PAF Insight).

              True for everything except PAF Insight. For an FHC license for PAF Insight, refer to the instructions here:

              Aloha,
              John

              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2006
                A couple of things to mention, you can get "free" copies of Windows 2000 from SLC.  You just need to report to them how many copies you are running.

                Also the church as a site license for Command Anti-Virus  (aka Authentium).  You can download the program and updates from their website once you get the ID/Password from SLC.

                So don't pay for Windows or Anti-virus in trying to make everything up to date and legal.

              • Dana Repouille
                Message 7 of 10 , May 3, 2006
                  From: fhctech@yahoogroups.com [mailto:fhctech@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
                  bill henderson
                  >>"Family Search" is the only DOS based application my FHC uses, and I just
                  removed its icon from most of our research computers because some of the
                  info is out-of-date and causes our patrons to order the wrong things. At
                  $6+ dollars an order neither they nor we can afford such mistakes.

                  You must be referring to the old Family History Catalog. Yes, the DOS
                  version should be disabled, and the Windows version should be deleted in
                  favor of the Web version at www.familysearch.org

                  Then again, if out-of-date info is a bad thing to use, then you should also
                  remove TempleReady for Windows, as it uses the same old data that the DOS
                  applications use...

                  Dana in Omaha
                • Dana Repouille
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 3, 2006
                    Kress,
                    I see you joined the fhctech Yahoo group on April 29th.

                    You should look at the file area:

                    You should also look at the applications list at
                    Home Page: http://fhctech.org/
                    As shown at the bottom of every message from this group.

                    Oh, and as Gary said, PLEASE read the Guidelines for Computers!

                    Dana in Omaha

[...]

                    Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Donsescape
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 3, 2006
                      If you look at www.familysearch.org - order/download products -
                      software and databases you can see all the software available from
                      SLC. There is some leeway as to what you install on these computers
                      as long is it is for the purpose of genealogical research.
                      Obviously you would also need Command AntiVirus. You can also put
                      on adware, malware or spyware programs. Research them first. There
                      are a lot of effective programs available for free. We also have
                      free versions of genealogy programs like PAF. You can get Family
                      Archive Viewer and I think older versions of Legacy for free. Open
                      Office is also available for free. I would suggest following the
                      guidelines for the digital imaging system and not add extra software
                      to that computer. Our digital imaging system isn't connected to the
                      network or the internet. I connect when needed to update the
                      software and then unplug the cable. Our FHC has a policy not to
                      store patron files and information on our computers. They can store
                      them on the hard drive temporarily as long as they delete the
                      information when they are done. I would suggest coordinating with
                      the FHC directors so you know what local policies they have. They
                      can also give you some insight as to what gets used and what doesn't.
                      Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck.

                      --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Kress Franzen" <kmfranzen@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Good day to all,
                      > Just got called to Stake Geek, just started investigating the
                      setup of
                      > my stake's FHC (never been in there before, hate to admit)...
                      > And I'm curious if there is a listing anywhere in a concise,
                      > easily-digested format of all the applications that should be
                      > installed on a tip-top-shape FHC computer. Does such a list exist
                      > somewhere?
                      > I've been reading postings and what-not, but sheesh... I don't
                      have
                      > hours to digest the tomes of troubleshooting info and such.
                      >
                      > We are going to need new PC's for our FHC, and I want to insure
                      that
                      > everything will run on Windows XP, since I see that there are some
                      old
                      > dos programs in the mix. It is nearly blasphemy in my book to
                      > purchase a brand new smokin' pc and install windows 2k on because
                      the
                      > church says that windows xp is untested. It looks like some of you
                      > have tested and are using XP with all the older DOS programs,
                      right?

                      > Thanks in advance... Look forward to participating more in the
                      group.
                      > Kress Franzen

                    • bill henderson
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 6, 2006
                        Gary Is correct.  The document is called Policy and Guidelines (about 4 pages). It it dated June 1, 2005. Call FHC Support in SLC and have them send you or your FHC a copy if you don't have one.

                        Bill H.