RE: [fhctech] Command AV username

  • Terri J.
    Message 1 of 48 , Apr 30, 2006
      Yeah, well it worked Friday and wasn't recognized at all today. I haven't
      made any changes to the system since then, so was thinking the changes were
      external.

      - Terri J.

      PS. Your hints tell me things haven't changed, btw

    • Dana A. Repouille
      Message 48 of 48 , May 13, 2006
        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "rkatschke" <rkatschke@...> wrote:

        > 1. how does one scan a flash drive with CAV?

        Open My Computer
        Right-click on the icon used for your USB drive
        Choose AntiVirus Scan

        See the user's manual at
        http://www4.authentium.com/documentation/Win32user.pdf
        page 3-33 (page 81 of 211)

        > 2. I don't see anything in their web pages or help files that
        suggests it also automatically scans executables prior to executing.
        Does anyone know if CAV uses such automatic scanning?

        Again from the user's manual:
        On-access Scanning – Protects your system from becoming infected
        between full scans. This on-access, "behind-the-scenes" protection is
        provided through Dynamic Virus Protection (DVP). DVP runs
        transparent, on-access scans of each program that is run or file that
        is opened.
        DVP is turned on by default and is set to disinfect when a virus
        infection is found. You can turn off DVP protection or change its on-
        access scanning properties through the Preferences menu of the
        Command AntiVirus Main dialog box. For more information, refer to
        Setting On-access Scanning Properties located later in this chapter.

        > 3. is there any merit to routinely manually scan floppies,
        > CDs, flash drives prior to reading PAF data, PAF backup files or
        Gedcom files?

        Not very much merit at all. Perhaps a little peace of mind.

        Dana in Omaha