Re: Installing Windows 2000 on Gateway Computers

  • Bill Henderson
    Message 1 of 46 , Apr 13, 2006
      Hi;

      I am the new guy. I support Santa Clara FHC (Los Altos Stake). In
      response to you query, have you contacted the folks at Gateway
      Computers with your problem? I aam pretty sure they can help. If you
      are seeing a login screen for the BIOS (it asks for a password), then
      someone has has secured it and you will either need that password or
      the technique to reset it (zero it out). Gateway Computers should be
      able to help you with that too. If all else fails and you can bootup
      from a floppy disk configured to drive a cdrom.

      One a general note, I am curious to know what other FHC's use to
      secure their work stations. Until recently, we used Microsoft's Group
      Policies and Iconlock with limited success. We are upgrading from NT4
      to Windows 2000 as well and are using "Deep Freeze" instead. If the
      workstation gets trashed, all I have to do is reboot it and it will be
      restored to its original (my configuration's) state. Deep Freeze
      doesn't like Windows NT so you have to use almost any other 32-bit
      Microsoft Operating System (OS) even Windows 9x (better details at
      www.faronics.com).

      The other issue we have is having to leave the computers on over night
      for fear of losing connection to www.ancestry.com. I am currently
      using an automated tool that logs into ancestry.com without having to
      give out our password. I am not satisfied with this one yet so I
      won't give out its name (it only works about 95% of the time). If
      someone knows of a login tool that always hides the password but will
      let staff and users login, please me know. Now we let Deep Freeze run
      through a maintenance cycle and then shuts off the computers.

      --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Royer" <bobroyer@...> wrote:

      > I was told by Global Support last night that I have to install
      Windows 2000 in order to get the wireless cards that the church sent
      us to work properly.
      > I used every key combination that I knew to no avail to get in and
      change the boot order from the hard drive to the CD.

    • lemow@email.com
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 26, 2010
        Dave,
        I'm with you on this one.