RE: [fhctech] to get into FamilySearch by the back door

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2006
      I think your on to something. Right now my machine can't resolve
      familysearch.org into a site, but www.familysearch.org works great.
      Probably just something in the DNS. Those can take 24 to 48 hours to
      "trickle down" once the main DNS server is updated.

      Yes folks, the "www" part IS significant to the computer, even if 99.9% of
      the websites have both versions send you to the same exact place.

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2006
        Back in Nov / Dec, when they moved the servers, they never changed the DNS properly.  The www. has been required since the move.  Before the move, you could omit the www.

        Glen Ballard

        P. S. Check out Legacy Family Tree today! This full featured genealogy program can be downloaded FREE at
        http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Index.asp?mid=3AV63La
      • James W Anderson
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2006
          Thanks, this seems to be an issue with some server
          equipment as it pertains to requiring use of www.
          before a domain name.

          Found a tidbit on a WHOIS record also. Two days ago,
          sometime just before 1pm or 2pm local time here in
          Salt Lake, they did an update on the familysearch.org
          record relating to the DNS.

          familysearch.org uses four nameservers due to its size
          and complexity. This intermittent issue may have to
          do with the machines involved rather than the DNS, but
          with an apparent matter of someone doing something
          Thursday, then that could have affected something else
          as well.

          --- Glen Ballard <gballard@...> wrote:

          > Back in Nov / Dec, when they moved the servers, they
          > never changed the DNS properly. The www. has been
          > required since the move. Before the move, you could
          > omit the www.
          >
          > Glen Ballard

          > P. S. Check out Legacy Family Tree today! This full
          > featured genealogy program can be downloaded FREE at

          http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Index.asp?mid=3AV63La

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Larry Jackson
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2006
            Russell Houlton:

            Yes folks, the "www" part IS significant to the
            computer, even if 99.9% of the websites have
            both versions send you to the same exact place.

            _______________

            Actually, I thought some browsers tried a URL that
            did not have www in front of it, then tried again with
            the www, and that was why it worked so often.

            Perhaps things have changed. It wouldn't be the
            first time.

            Larry Jackson
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2006
              >>> Actually, I thought some browsers tried a URL that
              did not have www in front of it, then tried again with
              the www, and that was why it worked so often. <<<

              In some cases the non-www site might do a re-direct to the other. So it
              might be a function of the site rather then the browser, but I could be
              wrong.
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2006
                >>> Thanks, this seems to be an issue with some server
                equipment as it pertains to requiring use of www.
                before a domain name. <<<

                Well right now what I'm seeing is that familysearch.org isn't resolving to a
                IP address. So it looks like a DNS entry issue to me. With 4 DNS servers,
                if one of them has some bad entries, it could really mess things up.