FamilySearch for DOS & Windows 2000

  • ggbrower
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
      Jerry Brower
      Geneva Heights FHC
      Orem, Utah
      Linux Fedora 2 Samba file server w/ Adaptec Raid 5
      Nine workstations - 8 w/ Windows 2000 and 1 w/ Windows 98

      Our FamilySearch for DOS worked fine on the Linux network until we
      loaded SP4 for Windows 2000. After that, all of the dos FS program,
      such as IGI, still worked and accessed the network files except
      Ancestral File. With Ancestral File, we get the following error message
      on eight Windows 2000 workstations:
      The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
      cs:50d8IP: 341a OP:63 74 52 65 73 Choose 'Close' to terminate
      this application. CLOSE Ignore

      So we have one computer with Windows 98 that uses the CDs to access
      information for FamilySearch for DOS and Pedigree Resource File. (By
      the way, Pedigree Resource File works fine over the network but some
      sisters want to use the CDs.)
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
        >>> Our FamilySearch for DOS worked fine on the Linux network until we loaded SP4 for Windows 2000. <<<

        For kicks and grins, log into Win2000 with Administrator rights and see if it still blows up. I'm running it under SP4, but then it was at SP4 before I installed it.

        >>> (By the way, Pedigree Resource File works fine over the network but some sisters want to use the CDs.) <<<

        OK, this should be interesting, why?
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
          I don't believe your error message has anything to do with either running
          Linux on the server or the service pack itself.

          With ALL the computers suddenly having the same problem it is almost
          certainly due to a network access problem. (I am assuming it used to work
          prior to SP4) If you have installed any Linux or Samba security updates on
          the server it may have changed the share or access permissions. The typical
          causes for that error is not having the drive mapped, or having something
          misconfigured in one or more config files. There is no reason installing the
          SP4 should have changed any files in the PAS folder. However, you WILL get
          that error if you install FamilySearch *before* all the drives are mapped,
          because the install has to see the files on the server to properly create
          the config files. Also make sure SP4 didn't change the extended memory
          settings, but that is a long shot. I have not had any problems with SP4 on
          any machine.

          It is interesting some sisters like to use the CD's for the PRF. I have
          never known anyone who preferred flipping disks back and forth. They must
          enjoy the slower pace or like to keep their fingers loose.