Re: [fhctech] OT : Obituary data base program

  • Bob Hegerich
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi Peter:

      You never mentioned exactly what it is that you want to extract and put into a database.  If what you want to create is simply a death index with a small amount of detail per individual, may I suggest that you use MS Excel or an equivalent spreadsheet program.

      For what it's worth, I have compiled Burial Indexes four Nova Scotia Counties, one index per county, with the number of entries currently ranging from 15,000 to 45,000.  Rather than being posted on a web site as is, which would be a relatively simple thing to do, the files for each index has been uploaded to the GENWEB site for the appropriate county and their availability published.  From there, they can be downloaded in either Excel or tab-delimited text format.  Microsoft provides a free, downloadable Excel viewer that satisfies most people who do not have Excel installed, and so the tab-delimited text file is for those who either cannot or do not want to install a spreadsheet/viewer, or who want to import the file into a database of their choosing.  Going that route allows people to sort and search the file any way they choose on their own computer, rather than having to take what a web site offers them.

      These indexes use a six-column format:

      Seq#   Surname    Given(s)     Inscription/Record/Notes     Location     Cemetery

      As to the data grabbers, the only thing you can do is to put a copyright notice on the web site if you go that route.  I have two web sites with GEDCOMs converted to html--one has 70,000 entries and the other about 40,000, and both have copyright notices. That most likely deters the reputable commercial concerns, but certainly does not prevent unscrupulous or neophyte genealogists from copying all or part of the work and republishing it as their own, which happens.  That's the price of sharing information and in my book at least, it's worth it.  :-)

      PS.  Many ISP's provide their subscribers free web space that ought to be large enough to hold a 1,000 entry spreadsheet file with accompanying prettifications.

      Hope this helps.

          -----Bob H-----
      Annandale VA FHC
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
        I would suggest a program called Follio Views. It is used on the
        Internet and by the Church for very large databases. You can have
        certain key fields or search on any word or phrase. It has been
        used to create a searchable database of the scriptures, the US 1880
        census and several of the other Family History Resource File
        entries. If the database file has an extension of ".nfo" it was
        created using Follio Views. The data is indexed and compressed in
        the final form which makes it much harder to extract the data in
        mass.

        Just a thought,

        Mike

        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Hegerich" <BobH36@...> wrote:

        > Hi Peter:
        >
        > You never mentioned exactly what it is that you want to extract
        and put into a database. If what you want to create is simply a
        death index with a small amount of detail per individual, may I
        suggest that you use MS Excel or an equivalent spreadsheet program.

        > For what it's worth, I have compiled Burial Indexes four Nova
        Scotia Counties, one index per county, with the number of entries
        currently ranging from 15,000 to 45,000. Rather than being posted
        on a web site as is, which would be a relatively simple thing to do,
        the files for each index has been uploaded to the GENWEB site for
        the appropriate county and their availability published. From
        there, they can be downloaded in either Excel or tab-delimited text
        format. Microsoft provides a free, downloadable Excel viewer that
        satisfies most people who do not have Excel installed, and so the
        tab-delimited text file is for those who either cannot or do not
        want to install a spreadsheet/viewer, or who want to import the file
        into a database of their choosing. Going that route allows people
        to sort and search the file any way they choose on their own
        computer, rather than having to take what a web site offers them.

        > These indexes use a six-column format:
        >
        > Seq# Surname Given(s) Inscription/Record/Notes
        Location Cemetery

        > As to the data grabbers, the only thing you can do is to put a
        copyright notice on the web site if you go that route. I have two
        web sites with GEDCOMs converted to html--one has 70,000 entries and
        the other about 40,000, and both have copyright notices. That most
        likely deters the reputable commercial concerns, but certainly does
        not prevent unscrupulous or neophyte genealogists from copying all
        or part of the work and republishing it as their own, which
        happens. That's the price of sharing information and in my book at
        least, it's worth it. :-)

        > PS. Many ISP's provide their subscribers free web space that
        ought to be large enough to hold a 1,000 entry spreadsheet file with
        accompanying prettifications.

        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > -----Bob H-----
        > Annandale VA FHC

        Terms of Service.

        ---------

        home insurance company American family home owner insurance
        > Multi family home for sale Single family home for sale
        Family home finance

        of Service.

        -----------

      • Peter
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
          At 08:48 AM 3/1/06, you wrote:
          >I would suggest a program called Follio Views. It is used on the
          >Internet and by the Church for very large databases. You can have
          >certain key fields or search on any word or phrase. It has been
          >used to create a searchable database of the scriptures, the US 1880
          >census and several of the other Family History Resource File
          >entries. If the database file has an extension of ".nfo" it was
          >created using Follio Views. The data is indexed and compressed in
          >the final form which makes it much harder to extract the data in
          >mass.
          >Just a thought,
          >Mike

          Yes I am very familiar with that one as I have some of the databases
          you mentioned.
          Any Idea on how to get hold of this program.
          (Besides the obvious phone call to church HQ.)

          Thanks for the suggestion.
          Peter

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
            Hi Peter: