Slow Printing on Network Printers

  • ronpriceless
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 15, 2006
      Can anyone give me the details of what they did that fixed this
      problem? I am completly in the dark about the DNS settings and
      appending the period. Is this something you do with the PIX box?
      Server?

      In our FHC, we are runnning Win 2000. Any help would be appreciated.

      Ron Price
      Layton, Utah
    • Robert C. Harrison
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 16, 2006

        Family History Center – Slow printer response

        If you have several computers on a network, try these tests:

        1.

        Get to a command prompt (Start -Run and type CMD" in the window)

        2.

        type ipconfig. Write down the IP address given.

        3.

        find out the name of this computer. Start-Control Panel-System -

        Network Identification for Win2K or Computer Name for WinXP

        4.

        on a different computer, get to the command prompt and type the word

        "ping" (without the quote marks) and follow it with the IP address of the

        first computer, found in step 2. You should get 4 pings and 4 replys 1

        second apart.

        5.

        repeat step 3 only this time "ping" followed by the name of the first

        computer found in step 3.

        If you have a delay of 6-8 seconds before it tells you about the pings

        and replys, you have a problem which will also show up as long printer

        delays (5 minutes or more to print a family group sheet). It will also

        show up as a delay of 15 or more seconds in trying to access a shared

        folder contents across your network.

        Apparently the problem is one of DNS name resolution caused by appending

        suffixes and can be corrected with these steps:

        Do the following on every windows computer:

        Log on as Administrator (or a Windows user with Admin privileges).

        If using WINDOWS XP:

        Click START, Right-click on My Network Places, then Properties.

        Right-click on Local Connection, then properties.

        If using WIN2000:

        Click START-SETTINGS-Network & Dial Up Connections

        Right click on Local Connection, then click on properties on the drop

        down menu

        Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then click on properties button.

        Click on "Advanced" button.

        Click on DNS tab.

        Click on the "Append these DNS suffixes (in Order)" radio button.

        Click on the "ADD" button.

        In the window, type a period (.).

        Click on "ADD". (This will put the period into the list.)

        There should be a check mark in the box near the bottom labeled "Register

        this connection's address in DNS"

        Click OK

        Click OK

        Click OK

        You may need to shut down all machines and reboot your CISCO PIX(remove power

        plug for 30 seconds)

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 16, 2006
          > Can anyone give me the details of what they did that fixed this
          > problem? I am completly in the dark about the DNS settings and
          > appending the period. Is this something you do with the PIX box?
          > Server?
          >
          > In our FHC, we are runnning Win 2000. Any help would be appreciated.
          >
          > Ron Price
          > Layton, Utah

          Ron, I sent a reply privately but it bounced. Here are the directions.

          Gary

          From: Merlin R Kitchen <mkitchen@...>
          Date: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:48 am
          Subject: Re: [fhctech] Slow Printer Response mkitchen@...
          Send Email

[...]

          You may need to shut down all machines and reboot your PIX (remove
          power
          plug for 30 seconds)

          This has worked for us.
          Merlin Kitchen
          Utah South Area Family History Training Center
        • Ben Franklin
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 16, 2006
            Could someone please send me a copy of the 2.31 Installation disk? I
            have misplaced mine (actually I think I threw it away RECENTLY). I see
            in a previous message that someone mentioned that it is found on the 5.2
            CD, also... I don't have access to a CD version right now, either. Can
            anyone help me out?

            Thanks,

            Ben Franklin
            Durham North Carolina FHC
          • Merlin R Kitchen
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 17, 2006
              On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:48:03 -0500 Ben Franklin <benz2@...>
              writes:
              > Could someone please send me a copy of the 2.31 Installation disk? I

              If you are wanting to install PAF 2.31 in order to upgrade some PAF
              files, you don't need to do that.
              PAF 2.31 files are a set including name.dat, name2.dat, etc.

              PAF 3.0 (inside the DOS FamilySearch) will convert the set of PAF 2.31
              files into PAF 3--just bring up PAF 3 and try to open the name.dat file;
              PAF3 will then tell you that these are for a previous version and do you
              want to convert. Say yes, but don't allow it to convert notes into
              sources.

              PAF 3.0 makes a single file with xxxx.paf where xxxx is the name you give
              to it.

              PAF 4.0 has the same file organization as PAF 3, so you can, if you wish,
              open the PAF3 file using PAF 4.

              PAF 5.0 can convert the PAF3/PAF4 files into PAF5 files. Just try to
              open the file created above and it will tell you that a conversion is
              needed. Go ahead, but give it a different name so that you don't lose
              the PAF3 file.

              I will publish later today on this list a detailed document and flow
              chart that I developed for our center.
              Merlin Kitchen
            • Ben Franklin
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 17, 2006
                Merlin,

                Thanks for offering to help, and before continuing, I should say "Thank You" to those who have already sent me what I asked for.

                Sorry I didn't make a few things clear:

                1) I didn't say what I was trying to do, only that I needed PAF 2.31.

                2) I am trying to convert a PAF 2.31 database in backup format from a series of 6 disks.

                3) Silicon Valley PAF Users Group has already published an excellent flowchart, outlining how the conversion process is supposed to be done. Indeed, as you point out, normal DAT files can be read by PAF 3 or 4. According to SVPAFUG, backup files must be converted to DAT files using PAF 2.31 before you can proceed. If you are thinking of writing such a document, it may be well to review the several varieties that already exist, starting with SVPAFUG's. In my peregrinations it seems to be one of the more useful ones.

                4) Among the genealogy programs that I use, only 3 of them claim to read PAF 2.31 files. They are: The Master Genealogist, Legacy, and PAF 4.0. Of these, only TMG claims to support PAF Backup files. Unfortunately there is a known bug in the most current version of TMG that won't allow any kind of Import. According to their website, they are working on it. I still have an old version of TMG installed, and it just seems to go into an endless loop when importing the file. Ultimately, it appears to me that TMG doesn't support multiple disk backups, but I cannot test that theory right now. One other application that I was curious about that has some PAF support was Ancestral Quest, but I don't have a copy of it.

                5) Hopefully, the authentic 2.31 will work. The subsequent disks have files on them that are quite small ( about 10K), thus it appears to me that they may be corrupt.

                Thanks again for trying,

                Ben Franklin
                Durham North Carolina FHC

                >On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:48:03 -0500 Ben Franklin <benz2@...>
                >writes:
                >> Could someone please send me a copy of the 2.31 Installation disk? I
                >>

                >If you are wanting to install PAF 2.31 in order to upgrade some PAF
                >files, you don't need to do that.
                >PAF 2.31 files are a set including name.dat, name2.dat, etc.
                >
                >PAF 3.0 (inside the DOS FamilySearch) will convert the set of PAF 2.31
                >files into PAF 3--just bring up PAF 3 and try to open the name.dat file;
                >PAF3 will then tell you that these are for a previous version and do you
                >want to convert. Say yes, but don't allow it to convert notes into
                >sources.
                >
                >PAF 3.0 makes a single file with xxxx.paf where xxxx is the name you give
                >to it.
                >
                >PAF 4.0 has the same file organization as PAF 3, so you can, if you wish,
                >open the PAF3 file using PAF 4.
                >
                >PAF 5.0 can convert the PAF3/PAF4 files into PAF5 files. Just try to
                >open the file created above and it will tell you that a conversion is
                >needed. Go ahead, but give it a different name so that you don't lose
                >the PAF3 file.
                >
                >I will publish later today on this list a detailed document and flow
                >chart that I developed for our center.
                >Merlin Kitchen
              • Dennis Stewart
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 17, 2006
                  Ben,

                  I think I have a copy of PAF 2.31 that I put on a CD a few years ago. But I
                  will have to go to our FHC and check to see if it is there--it was the last
                  time I saw it but that has been a while.

                  If you don't get a direct back on your request contact me directly and I
                  will put the program up on an FTP site that you can download from.

                  Dennis Stewart
                  Meridian East Stake FHC
                  Meridian, ID
                  dstewart@...

> [...]

                  >PAF 3.0 (inside the DOS FamilySearch) will convert the set of PAF 2.31
                  >files into PAF 3--just bring up PAF 3 and try to open the name.dat
                  >file;
                  >PAF3 will then tell you that these are for a previous version and do
                  >you want to convert. Say yes, but don't allow it to convert notes into
                  >sources.
                  >
                  >PAF 3.0 makes a single file with xxxx.paf where xxxx is the name you
                  >give to it.
                  >
                  >PAF 4.0 has the same file organization as PAF 3, so you can, if you
                  >wish, open the PAF3 file using PAF 4.
                  >
                  >PAF 5.0 can convert the PAF3/PAF4 files into PAF5 files. Just try to
                  >open the file created above and it will tell you that a conversion is
                  >needed. Go ahead, but give it a different name so that you don't lose
                  >the PAF3 file.
                  >
                  >I will publish later today on this list a detailed document and flow

                  Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://www.eset.com
                • Ron Taylor
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 17, 2006
                    You could download the free Legacy 6.0 from www.legacyfamilytree.com and then use it to import your Paf 2.31 files.  It will then convert them to Paf 3.0, or Paf 4.0, or Paf 5.0 GEDCOM file formats as well as others.  Not even PAF will do that unless you have each of the various versions.  You may even like Legacy so much that you will not want to go back to PAF.
                    Ron Taylor

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 17, 2006
                      This could be a hard drive that is dying.  Some things that you could do to test this is to make a BartPE boot CD.  Put a virus scanner on the boot image.  BartPE has lots of information on how to add programs they are called plugins.  You also might want to make sure you have the network driver for your computer on the CD.  The website is http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

                      Good Luck
                      Robert Schmoyer

> [...]

                      >PAF 3.0 (inside the DOS FamilySearch) will convert the set of PAF 2.31
                      >files into PAF 3--just bring up PAF 3 and try to open the name.dat file;
                      >PAF3 will then tell you that these are for a previous version and do you
                      >want to convert.  Say yes, but don't allow it to convert notes into
                      >sources.
                      >
                      >PAF 3.0 makes a single file with xxxx.paf where xxxx is the name you give
                      >to it.
                      >
                      >PAF 4.0 has the same file organization as PAF 3, so you can, if you wish,
                      >open the PAF3 file using PAF 4.
                      >
                      >PAF 5.0 can convert the PAF3/PAF4 files into PAF5 files.  Just try to
                      >open the file created above and it will tell you that a conversion is
                      >needed.  Go ahead, but give it a different name so that you don't lose
                      >the PAF3 file.
                      >
                      >I will publish later today on this list a detailed document and flow
                    • Merlin R Kitchen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 18, 2006
                        I have attached my write-ups on how to convert older PAF files up to PAF
                        5 files and a second attachment that gives a visual flow-chart on the
                        process. Page numbers on the flow chart refer to the writeup. Both
                        attachments are in PDF format.
                        If the attachments do not come thru properly, write to me off list and I
                        will send them directly anyone who wants a copy.
                        Merlin Kitchen
                        mkitchen@...
                      • Ron Taylor
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 19, 2006
                          Ben,

                          One more item that may be of great use to anyone trying to convert old PAF files is the availability of a working 5.25 inch floppy drive and maybe even a 3.5 inch drive.  Nearly all computers today are unable to support the old floppy drives and so if someone has a pile of PAF data on old media...that may be difficult to use.  Thanks for your comments.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 19, 2006
                            On the subject of 5.25 inch drives, let's not forget there were two
                            different sizes: The Double-Density 360KB (typically on PC/XT 8086 class
                            machines) and the High Density 1.2MB (AT 286 and later). While in theory,
                            the 1.2M can read a 360K disk, if the disk had been written two by the two
                            different sizes, trying to read it could get ugly.

                            But that's only the two most popular sizes. There were some oddballs out
                            there. Also the old PAF 1 ran on CP/M machines that also used 5.25"
                            floppies, but generally were not readable on any IBM-like PC. At least not
                            without some special software to deal with the OS format.