Re: [fhctech] IGI on external harddrive - problems

  • Merlin R Kitchen
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2005
      On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:31:01 -0000 "zdenkafhc" <z@...>
      writes:
      > Hi,

      > problems. However, our stake president was transferring his
      > personal family file from Mac to Windows and in a process lost all
      > of his ordinance data. Our family history consultant saw her chance

      Many times people think their ordinance data is lost because their PAF is
      not set up to show ordinance data.
      Look on the Edit screen to make sure that the slots are there to show the
      ordinance data. If not, change Tools-Preferences-General to make sure
      there is a checkmark in "Use LDS data"

      If he transferred the data using a GEDCOM, he may have generated the
      GEDCOM without Ordinance data. I would suggest, if possible, go back to
      the MAC and make another GEDCOM, this time making sure to include LDS
      data.

      Concerning the problem mentioned, I have always had the IGI and the
      Addendum have to be on different drive letters. To test whether it is
      working correctly, click on the "Search Ordinance Index" button and
      search for one name using the IGI and the same name on the Addendum and
      see if it comes up with different surrounding names. If not, you are
      probably accessing the same file both times.

      Merlin Kitchen
    • zdenkafhc
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
        I will pass the PAF transfer info onto the stake president tonight,
        thanks.

        As far as the external hard drive problems, I will pop in to the FHC
        tommorow and test it out.

        I was contacted by a number of units from our stake that do not have
        a FHC but are interested in running the IGI from a hard drive, so
        before I do any more work on this I need to be certain that it works
        properly as far as possible.

        I will keep you posted, thanks!

        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Merlin R Kitchen <mkitchen@j...>

      • gtempleman1@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
          You might want to consider how much time and effort to put into this project. Beta testing for the new online TempleReady system is expected to begin shortly. I suspect the changes at FamilySearch.org are part of the preparation for when the online TR goes live. When that happens, I would not be at all surprised if we will be instructed to not use the IGI and Addendum CD's, and perhaps the entire DOS FamilySearch program.

          Gary Templeman

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
            >>> You might want to consider how much time and effort to put into this
            project. Beta testing for the new online TempleReady system is expected to
            begin shortly. I suspect the changes at FamilySearch.org are part of the
            preparation for when the online TR goes live. When that happens, I would not
            be at all surprised if we will be instructed to not use the IGI and Addendum
            CD's, and perhaps the entire DOS FamilySearch program. <<<

            It also means that anyone who wants to clear names will be required to have
            internet access. As it is now, if you're not checking the names against the
            Internet IGI, there's a strong chance that you are submitting duplicate
            work. Even if you're the only member, some names were done by name
            extraction.
          • zdenkafhc
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
              Thanks to everyone for their contribution!

              I have tested the Addendum by searching the ordinance index, and it
              does come up with 2 different sets of results for the IGI and the
              Addendum, which seemes to suggest the Addendum is working fine.

              Maybe the TempleReady program doesn't cope very well with a large
              ammount of names submitted at once, I don't know.

              Thanks anyway!

              Zdenka Evans