IGI on external harddrive - problems

  • zdenkafhc
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2005
      Hi,

      Back in July I set up-with your help-external hard drives running
      IGI in all the family history centres in our stake.

      I tested these with the test file and it all seemed to work without
      problems. However, our stake president was transferring his
      personal family file from Mac to Windows and in a process lost all
      of his ordinance data. Our family history consultant saw her chance
      to proudly show off the speed of the new Temple ready program but
      unfortunately came against problems. Our stake president's file had
      about 20 000 names, and it told him 6 000 haven't had any work done,
      which was not the case. He found the ordinance dates for a few of
      these names and they fell into the addendum timescale.

      I have set up the IGI and Addendum on the external hard drive, which
      some of you thought might cause problems as it has the same drive
      letter. Otherwise the set up is 2 separate folders, one IGI with
      country folders in it and the other Addendum folder.

      Any thoughts on this? I presumed since I ran the test file that both
      the IGI and the Addendum are working and haven't had the time to
      verify with my own ordinance data whether the Addendum really isn't
      working.

      We have a big Stake temple event at the end of November where every
      member is encouraged to take at least 1 name from his own family
      file to the temple, so I need to sort this out very quickly.

      Any help will be appreciated.
    • John Vilburn
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 31, 2005
        > Our stake president's file had about 20 000 names, and it told
        > him 6 000 haven't had any work done, which was not the case.

        The IGI and Addendum CD's only cover temple ordinances through the year
        2000. Unfortunately, even for ordinances done before 2000, TempleReady will
        miss a great number of matches. Anything done after 2000 can only be found
        by searching online at www.familysearch.org.

        You can search manually at www.familysearch.org or you can use PAF Insight
        to automate the search. If your FHC doesn't have PAF Insight, go to

        http://www.ohanasoftware.com/?sec=ldswc&page=FHC#insight

        to get a free site license for your FHC.

        Aloha,
        John
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 31, 2005
          As long as you didn't have an error message, you may not have a problem.
          The search engine isn't the best so it may miss some things even if the
          ordnance falls within the time frame of the IGI CDs.
        • Merlin R Kitchen
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 31, 2005
            On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:31:01 -0000 "zdenkafhc" <z@...>
            writes:
            > Hi,

            > problems. However, our stake president was transferring his
            > personal family file from Mac to Windows and in a process lost all
            > of his ordinance data. Our family history consultant saw her chance

            Many times people think their ordinance data is lost because their PAF is
            not set up to show ordinance data.
            Look on the Edit screen to make sure that the slots are there to show the
            ordinance data. If not, change Tools-Preferences-General to make sure
            there is a checkmark in "Use LDS data"

            If he transferred the data using a GEDCOM, he may have generated the
            GEDCOM without Ordinance data. I would suggest, if possible, go back to
            the MAC and make another GEDCOM, this time making sure to include LDS
            data.

            Concerning the problem mentioned, I have always had the IGI and the
            Addendum have to be on different drive letters. To test whether it is
            working correctly, click on the "Search Ordinance Index" button and
            search for one name using the IGI and the same name on the Addendum and
            see if it comes up with different surrounding names. If not, you are
            probably accessing the same file both times.

            Merlin Kitchen
          • zdenkafhc
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
              I will pass the PAF transfer info onto the stake president tonight,
              thanks.

              As far as the external hard drive problems, I will pop in to the FHC
              tommorow and test it out.

              I was contacted by a number of units from our stake that do not have
              a FHC but are interested in running the IGI from a hard drive, so
              before I do any more work on this I need to be certain that it works
              properly as far as possible.

              I will keep you posted, thanks!

              --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Merlin R Kitchen <mkitchen@j...>

            • gtempleman1@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
                You might want to consider how much time and effort to put into this project. Beta testing for the new online TempleReady system is expected to begin shortly. I suspect the changes at FamilySearch.org are part of the preparation for when the online TR goes live. When that happens, I would not be at all surprised if we will be instructed to not use the IGI and Addendum CD's, and perhaps the entire DOS FamilySearch program.

                Gary Templeman

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
                  >>> You might want to consider how much time and effort to put into this
                  project. Beta testing for the new online TempleReady system is expected to
                  begin shortly. I suspect the changes at FamilySearch.org are part of the
                  preparation for when the online TR goes live. When that happens, I would not
                  be at all surprised if we will be instructed to not use the IGI and Addendum
                  CD's, and perhaps the entire DOS FamilySearch program. <<<

                  It also means that anyone who wants to clear names will be required to have
                  internet access. As it is now, if you're not checking the names against the
                  Internet IGI, there's a strong chance that you are submitting duplicate
                  work. Even if you're the only member, some names were done by name
                  extraction.
                • zdenkafhc
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
                    Thanks to everyone for their contribution!

                    I have tested the Addendum by searching the ordinance index, and it
                    does come up with 2 different sets of results for the IGI and the
                    Addendum, which seemes to suggest the Addendum is working fine.

                    Maybe the TempleReady program doesn't cope very well with a large
                    ammount of names submitted at once, I don't know.

                    Thanks anyway!

                    Zdenka Evans