RE: [fhctech] Re: installing new HDD

  • Patty Gaddis
    Message 1 of 38 , Oct 4, 2005
      At 01:53 PM 10/3/2005, you wrote:

      >I think that would be pushing it.
      I figured I'd hear that.

      >If you jumper the drive as master and place it on the primary IDE cable,
      >then I think it's just a matter of booting off the Win2000 CD and installing
      >it on an existing partition. I would take careful notes about how that
      >drive is set up just in case something happens.
      I believe I already set it up jumpered as the master and it is on the
      primary IDE cable. What do you mean "about how that drive is set up"? Do
      you mean the physical location of things in the case?

      >I just used the program that came with the drive. I've never used Hitachi
      >drives, so I don't know what kind of program comes packaged with them, but
      >I'd hope it would be just as capable.
      >
      >You might want to continue to try and load the OS on the new drive. It
      >sounds like the system tried to boot off the hard drive before things were
      >ready. I'd check that the BIOS is set to boot from the CD drive before the
      >hard drive - at least during this installation phase. If the Hitachi
      >software is written to the hard drive, then I'd try and install Win2000 as
      >normal and see how big a partition you can make. (Or make a 5GB OS
      >partition and see if when you go to make the second partition if it sees the
      >rest of the drive.)

      I know the boot sequence is CD > A:\ > HDD > Network. I'll look at it all
      again tonight and try the things you've all written the last few days. If
      I can figure out how to start from scratch with the drive, I'll try
      partitioning into two pieces first.

      Wish me luck. I'm running out of time to get ready for our open house on
      the 22nd. I may be short one computer. And, I still need to load all the
      software to two other computers. We are going to have mini one-on-one
      sessions for PAF, familysearch.com, ancestry.com, rootsweb.com and
      TempleReady. Now that I look at it, I only need to get PAF and Temple
      Ready installed for that day.

      Patty
    • Dana Repouille
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 6, 2005
        Well, if only one hard drive is installed in a computer, I would not expect
        the software to give you the option of copying from one drive to another...

        Dana