RE: [fhctech] allocation

  • Robert C. Harrison
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
      Message
      As a computer technician, I have used many partitioning software programs.  I would highly recommend using Partition Magic to resize your C: drive and reclaim the space from the deleted D: partition.  Ranish partitioning software will work as well, but I would not recommend using it if you do not have experience in partitioning hard drives.  Stick with Partition Magic if you can, it is much easier to use.

      Robert Harrison

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
        Without a special program like Partition Magic, you'd have to delete both
        partitions and re-create the C partition. Naturally that wipes out
        everything on the original C partition.

        You could copy everything over to another hard drive and then back again
        like Dana suggested. (Do those free utility programs work both ways or are
        they crippled to only transfer TO that brand's hard drive much the same way
        CD Burning programs are crippled to only recognize that one CD Burner model
        they were shipped with?)

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
          > (Do those free utility programs work
          > both ways or are
          > they crippled to only transfer TO that brand's hard drive

          They work both ways. When they start up, they scan the system for at least
          ONE of their drives.

          I've actually fooled them by adding one of their drives to the system, even
          though their drive was not involved in any way with the copy operation.

          Dana
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
            If you do use a pre-partitioning program, I would suggest decrementing the
            surviving partition first. Just to be sure. It may not be needed in this
            case, but it would be a good idea if you were to shrink a partition.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 25, 2005
              What you're asking to do isn't technically possible in windows, once
              you've carved your partitions you can't reallocate space. I know
              people have recommended using partition magic or other software
              programs, but be warned with those that when you do it the way it does
              it is to reallocate the space and redefine your FAT, depending on how
              you have windows configured, windows might see the changed FAT as an
              error and blue screen on you because it doesn't meet the checksum.
              This is a rare occurance but I bring it up so that you know to backup
              your data first.