RE: [fhctech] allocation

  • Robert C. Harrison
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
      Message
      As a computer technician, I have used many partitioning software programs.  I would highly recommend using Partition Magic to resize your C: drive and reclaim the space from the deleted D: partition.  Ranish partitioning software will work as well, but I would not recommend using it if you do not have experience in partitioning hard drives.  Stick with Partition Magic if you can, it is much easier to use.

      Robert Harrison

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
        Can someone help me to unpartition a hard drive ( "C" drive)? The hard
        drive had been partitioned into two volumes ( C and D). I was able to
        delete the volume D with disk manager on Windows 2000 Pro but I still
        need to reallocate the memory that was partitioned to the D volume back
        to the C drive!
        ==================
        Jeff,
        The free method I usually use is to grab a spare hard drive, and use the
        free software from the drive manufacturer's web site to copy the old drive
        to the spare drive. You may then copy from the spare drive back to the
        original drive if you like.

        That's my preferred method, but I realize I'm a strange bird.

        Dana
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
          Without a special program like Partition Magic, you'd have to delete both
          partitions and re-create the C partition. Naturally that wipes out
          everything on the original C partition.

          You could copy everything over to another hard drive and then back again
          like Dana suggested. (Do those free utility programs work both ways or are
          they crippled to only transfer TO that brand's hard drive much the same way
          CD Burning programs are crippled to only recognize that one CD Burner model
          they were shipped with?)

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
            > (Do those free utility programs work
            > both ways or are
            > they crippled to only transfer TO that brand's hard drive

            They work both ways. When they start up, they scan the system for at least
            ONE of their drives.

            I've actually fooled them by adding one of their drives to the system, even
            though their drive was not involved in any way with the copy operation.

            Dana
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
              If you do use a pre-partitioning program, I would suggest decrementing the
              surviving partition first. Just to be sure. It may not be needed in this
              case, but it would be a good idea if you were to shrink a partition.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 25, 2005
                What you're asking to do isn't technically possible in windows, once
                you've carved your partitions you can't reallocate space. I know
                people have recommended using partition magic or other software
                programs, but be warned with those that when you do it the way it does
                it is to reallocate the space and redefine your FAT, depending on how
                you have windows configured, windows might see the changed FAT as an
                error and blue screen on you because it doesn't meet the checksum.
                This is a rare occurance but I bring it up so that you know to backup
                your data first.